How to create a charachter

Started by , Wed 21/05/2003 23:03:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Morley

Hi all, I am brand new to this, a very nice program. I have figured out how to make rooms, objects etc, but I am perplexed on charachter creation.  Is there a program you guys use to make charachters? Or do you just use paint, and if so how do I get them to save as a .cha file? Also, are there any sites with premade charachter sets on them? I want to see what other people have created. Thanks in advance!

Morley

Synthetique

please... no more "how to make character" questions... i'm sure every question you possibly could have about it, is already answered. there is a search function. and read the rules please.

Ishmael

When I started using AGS, the first two things I learned were creating rooms and crating characters, so I think its very easy, and I have a feeling that it is told in the maual, too... dunno...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Scummbuddy

You do not save .cha in any program.... in ms paint you draw each frame of your character, at least 3 in all directions used. (Up, down, left, right, atleast ) and then you import them into your sprite manager, and then under views, you create each animation movement for each walk.  then under characters menu, you create new character, select the corresponding view, and viola... there ya go..

you also pretty much do the same thing for talking views.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

ZZjZmoz

It's very simple but time consuming to make characters. I'm going to tell you a history of all characters. Now, let's all calm down. CALM DOWN, NOW!!!

Good...

Now, characters dateback to the times of ancient history. Ancient egyptians used computers to play the only type of game that existed. Really... it is true. These "Games" had many components - story, graphics, sound, objects, and rooms. But, above all else, there was one component that ruled, dude. Characters. "Finally," the people said, "a component that talks, walks, looks, interacts, repeatedly executes, and many other useless things." Everything went well, until one day, Osiris came to earth and summoned a time portal into the future. Next, he returned wit a weapon and a company known as "Id software," and everything changed.

Enough history.

To draw a character:
1. Get a paint program, like paint. I use Serif PhotoPlus. www.freeserifsoftware.com (It has layers. Cool.)
2. Visualise the character of the character. What will he/she look like? Act like? Make them look like that.
3. Make a rough sketch of the character on paper. Improve your sketch. Keep going until you like it.
4. Scan it if you have a scanner. If not, either get one or draw it on the computer.
5. If you havea scanner, import the file into the art program and outline it. If not, try to outline it.
6. Change the ouline color to the color you want it to be (black to red on a red shirt). Fill in the colors. WHOA, not so fast with the shading yet, mister!!!
7. Now shade. It's a good idea to start with about 4 different shades of each color.
8. Yay, you're done - one frame. Wait... wait... don't even think of walking off that ledge... it's not THAT bad. Create a few more frames. If you're havng trouble making a walk cycle, take a step forwar - STOP. Don't move. look at your arm positions and leg positions, and use this a a guide. sketch it.

Hope this helps.

Released Late August 2007

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk