scaling objects

Started by Nixxon, Tue 27/05/2003 11:00:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Nixxon

just wondering if i was able to scale an object while it was moving?
e.g, a ball rolls away from me (my point of view) i want the ball to move up as well as scale down (into the distance).
What's the best way to go about doing this?
Thanks

Scorpiorus

You can use the character representing a ball. Draw a walk-able area, set continuous scaling and make the character move upwards.

-Cheers

Nixxon

Yeh i had actually thought of that, didnt have the balls to try it untill someone confirmed :D cheers
1 more prob :(
EnableInterface(2);
NEVER works, i repeat NEVER, always gives me parameter errors when i try to run the script. heres the script anyhow.

// room script file

function room_a() {
 // script for room: Player enters screen (after fadein)
EnableInterface(2);

GUIOn(2);

SetObjectView(0,5);
 AnimateObject(0,0,19,1);

}

function hotspot1_a() {
 // script for hotspot1: Look at hotspot
 GiveScore(1);

}

Nixxon

OK i've made a new character... it contains one frame of one loop, which is indeed a ball sprite. I've also set it to load in the particular room i want and it appears... though obviously stays still.
now what? :P sorry so very novice at this point... perhaps u could post an example of how my script should look.
greatly appreciated

Scorpiorus

QuoteEnableInterface(2);
NEVER works, i repeat NEVER, always gives me parameter errors when i try to run the script. heres the script anyhow.
Because it does take no parameters at all:

EnableInterface ()

Re-enables the player interface, which was previously disabled with the DisableInterface function. Everything which was disabled is returned to normal.

Just EnableInterface(). Looking at you script I guess you thought that it enables GUI#2 for the player to control. No, if you disable interface all GUIs become inactive. There was a misunderstanding in terminology. While the whole interface is an ability for the player to control the game, the GUIs are windows with buttons, labels, textboxes etc... Just a user menues in other words.

QuoteOK i've made a new character... it contains one frame of one loop, which is indeed a ball sprite. I've also set it to load in the particular room i want and it appears... though obviously stays still.
now what?
Now goto the room editor and draw a walk-able area as I already said then set it's scaling parameters.

Next goto character panel, place a ball character just under that walkable. You have to enter appropriate co-ordinates (use mouse pos label in the room editor to find out what co-ordinates you need to set)

Next open script editor and write MoveCharacter() command. Using Player enters screen iteraction for example:

function room_*() {
// script for room: Player enters screen (after fadein)
  MoveCharacterDirect(BALL, character[BALL].x, character[BALL].y - 40);

}

-Cheers

Nixxon

taa, really appreciate that :P

nah, in my last room i had to disable both the GUI 'and' the interface.
i can enable the GUI again in the new room but not the interface, anyway im quite sure it's due to my many simptoms of being a retard and what not.
thanks again :)

Scorpiorus

Oh, completely forget about interface problem:

I already encountered similar problem... a month ago

if you disable interface three times (for example) you need to enable it three times as well:

DisableInterface();
DisableInterface();
DisableInterface();

EnableInterface();

interface is STILL disabled!

DisableInterface();
DisableInterface();
DisableInterface();

EnableInterface();
EnableInterface();
EnableInterface();

and the above script works fine. Interface becomes enabled.

Some my suggestion before disabling interface check if it's realy enabled:

Just replace each line: DisableInterface();
With: if (IsInterfaceEnabled()==1) DisableInterface();

not sure if it's a bug or it is the mechanism by means it should  work (remember disabling level :P)

-Cheers

Nixxon

NICE ONE! :D :D
how'd u stumble across that fix?? lol
trial and error i suppose :P
very much appreciated :D

Scorpiorus

Quotehow'd you stumble across that fix?? lol
well, I had a script where the interface was being disabled inside the repeatedly_execute():

function repeatedly_execute() {
if (.......) DisplableInterface();
}

or something similar... then on some event I was enabling it again but the game didn't respond so I  was going to check out it this way:
DisplableInterface();
DisplableInterface();
EnableInterface();

As far as I figured out what's wrong I changed the script adding if (IsInterfaceEnabled()==1) condition statement.

so that is ;)

-Cheers

Pumaman

I'll make this clear in the manual for the next version.

It's deliberate by the way - so that if you have a custom function you can have it like:

function do_stuff () {
 DisableInterface();
 // do some stuff
 EnableInterface();
}

to ensure that the interface is disabled - but if it was already disabled beforehand, the function won't accidentally re-enable it.

Nixxon

No worries, thanks again :)

Scorpiorus

Aha, so it really keeps of the interface disabling level. Thanks for confirmation CJ.

-Cheers

eVOLVE

What about if you enable interface multiple times... do you have to then disable them multiple times too to get rid of it ? :)
James 'eVOLVE' Hamer-Morton

Scorpiorus

hehe, nope as there is no reason to have the ability to enable it multiple times :)

-Cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk