Best AGS game Of all Time?

Started by Jankme, Mon 09/06/2003 02:47:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Miez

Haven't played them all - obviously - but my favourite at the moment is the short adventure by Rodekill, the one with the little demon and the seriously disturbed boy in a bugsuit. Er ... can't remember the name ... made me cry with laughter. :)

GarageGothic

For some reason I don't care too much for short games. Maybe because I play games for the story and the characters, and there just isn't enough time for development in most short games. I mean, sure 6 Day Assassin is pretty and fun, for about five minutes, but I fail to see why it's so popular. I mean, most game demos have more content than that! The same thing with Search for the Don. It had tons of style and atmosphere, but there just wasn't much game to it.

So my favorites are among the longer games. I think that KQ2VGA is probably the most professional looking/playing AGS game to date. But although the enhancements from the original (plot- and puzzlewise) are amazing, it still is very derivative, not just of KQ2 but of the whole KQ series. For some reason these remakes, as well as other "fan games" just don't interest me as much as original concepts do.

P:DA was highly derivative as well. Elements from Gabriel Knight, the Police Quest-series, Rise of the Dragon, and the Manhunter games are easily spotted. But although some ideas were rather clichéd, the blocky graphics gave the game so much charm. If I should point out one flaw, it would be that the naive graphics at times clashed with the dark subject matter. So currently, P:DA is my favorite AGS game with The Uncertainty Machine being a close second (if it wasn't for that final puzzle...).

I think KQ2VGA is a better game, but it leaves me cold. I feel much stronger about P:DA and TUM. Maybe KQ2VGA is just TOO professional (or maybe I'm just jealous at Tierra :)).

Barcik

Actaully, I mostly agree with GarageGothic.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

M

Yeah, Pleurghburg: Dark Ages is the best in my opinion. I imagine there's a lot of coding behind it. It had a unique vibe to it that I really liked. The graphics were functional, rather than artsy, but the point was the story and the playability. It had its faults, though, that are mentioned. At least it 'feels' complete and professional. Anyway, if you didnt like the graphix of Pleurghburg, check out the graphics for the new Pleurghburg. That game's surely can kill everything else.

GarageGothic

Don't get me wrong. Read my post again. I totally agree that the game had a unique vibe, BECAUSE of the graphics (and music). What I said was that graphics and story sometimes worked in opposite directions, but maybe that was intentional. I thought the game had a wonderful, almost childish joy to it, and I don't mean that in a bad way. It was like a 10 year old kid's dream of being a policeman (having a friend who makes cool gadgets for you and all that, as opposed to the "adult" universe of say Rise of the Dragon.)

Rincewind

Yep, GarageGothic pretty much has it there. Pleurghburg: Dark Ages, The Uncertainty Machine have a exciting, GK/Broken Sword-feeling to them, and Odysseus Kent, Night Of The Hermit and Larry Vales 2 are the comedy favourites.

And I'm pretty sure that Byzantine will add to that list when it's finished... God, I'm looking forward to that game! *pokes at DarkStalkey* ;D

M

Quote from: GarageGothic on Tue 10/06/2003 14:58:23
It was like a 10 year old kid's dream of being a policeman (having a friend who makes cool gadgets for you and all that, as opposed to the "adult" universe of say Rise of the Dragon.)
Hmm, never thought of it like that. If that was intentional, then Chrille is more of a genius than I initially thought. It was chrille who made it right?

Privateer Puddin'

I think it is difficult and unfair to name one game as the best. Lists can provide better opinions, but thats what it will come down to in the end, opinion. A lot of work and effort is put into the games with little or no thanks (apart from the awards) The awards arent really a fair way of judging the best, they are affected by popularity and opinion. The best way of judging could be seeing what game has most rooms, best scripting etc

All my opinion though

GarageGothic

Custard, I agree. But then, I also think it's unfair that 6 Day Assassin is the top game on the AGS website just because it's a smaller download than some of the better games.

And so what if it's a matter of opinion? Isn't that what matters, what the audience thinks of a game? As opposed to the sales of the commercial market (which isn't a measure of quality but of clever advertising), reviews and forums like these tell you what people really think. And for the life of me,  I can't see how the number of rooms can be a measure of quality.

Barcik

The best way to find out which game is the best is to play them all by yourself and choose.

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: GarageGothic on Tue 10/06/2003 15:21:33
And for the life of me,  I can't see how the number of rooms can be a measure of quality.

Perhaps not quality, but a number of rooms can be better than a game with 1 room in one way or another, I guess it should be amount rooms with a consistent high quality makes a better game IMO

SSH

Quote from: Barcik on Tue 10/06/2003 15:27:41
The best way to find out which game is the best is to play them all by yourself and choose.

Hmm, yes, so if I want to find out whioch is the best movie of all time, you suggest I should take years out of my life to watch them all?  ???

Privateer Puddin'

Doing that would take a lot of time, id say the best thing to do is to listen to recommendations from friends with similar interests to you

M

Quote from: SuperScottishHero on Tue 10/06/2003 15:42:26
Hmm, yes, so if I want to find out whioch is the best movie of all time, you suggest I should take years out of my life to watch them all?  ???

Thats a thought. There's probably a game out there that a certain audience would really like but coz it hasnt got the hype and recommendation that games like P:DA and Kings Quest have from the majority, they'll never find out about it. It might have been a  favourite game to someone.

M

When are the next awards any way?

Matt Brown

word up

Jimi

I liked pleurghburg, because it had loads of options, rather than jou just having to do it a single way. I haven't played Kings Quests, but they look quite good.

AGA

You have to have played the original Sierra King's Quest II to appreciate just how good Tierra's enhancement is...

Barcik

That's not exactly what I mean. I mean play games, and choose the best for youself.

Matt Brown

Quote from: Barcik on Tue 10/06/2003 22:41:41

That's not exactly what I mean. I mean play games, and choose the best for youself.

you are all wrong. its best to play a bunch of games, and pick mine as teh best
word up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk