Lost for lights...!?

Started by ratracer, Thu 19/06/2003 23:21:35

Previous topic - Next topic

ratracer

I'm trying to have a decent lighting for the scene(s) below... It's supposed to be at dusk or at night, so interior lights are on (and no sunshine from outside)...
The first 3 pics are more clean; I did them in earlier stages (but now, I am not sure if they aren't better like that).... The other 4 are supposed to translate better that this is a room whose maintenance stopped some 10 years ago...

Don't mind much the textures (specially those of the desks) since what I am trying now is to have a decent lighting (more or less belieavable and ADEQUATE for a game background)

I'm only showing the best of the bunch (I tried more than 20 different light configurations) and I really need your opinnion and critics since, after all so many experiments, I don't know what to think of them anymore...

1. I really don't like this one

2. Pretty much the same as the first, but with more lights which I think makes it better....

3. I didn't like it at first, but now - one week after doing it - it probably is better than most...

4. The wall textures are probably a bit exagerated... is it too dark?

5. this one really stinks IMO

6. will this become even worse whence I put more objects in the scene?

7. is it too dramatic and exagerated ? or is it  acceptable in a game?

Please tell me which one - concerning the lights (everything else is to have more work into it) - the best, or if they all are hopeless...

Nacho

I like 2 and 4.

4 for the nice shadings below that corner table, which can´t be seen in the other brighter configurations... I like the 2, maybe for the opposite, it is brighter and I think that, even being not so realistic, it is better as for the playable aspect.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

undergroundling

out of the first group of three, i like number 1 or 2 the best.  3 looks a little awkward.  although i suppose it depends on what type of game you are using this room in.

out of the last 4, i prefer numbers 4 and 6 the best.  perhaps you could use a little more light on the table areas in number 6 however.

overall, they look pretty good.  its nice to see someone doing high-quality work in 3d like this, its not easy to do.  keep up the good work.

- bryan

Ali

Absotively Posilutely number 4. Number 7's nice but the fog will look odd with objects/characters superimposed.

gonzalezj

I have to agree with Farlander. I really like #4 because it will be better for playing. What did you use to create these? They are really good.

Cheers,
gonzalezj

danny*

#2 and #4 are very very good!!! 8)
#4 is a little dark behind the desks,while it shouldn't since you have 4 lights there!!
but the wall textures are fine!!
#7 has good elements in it but it's a bit pale.And those 4 spots are not affecting the scene, while they should.The floor tile is the same with the other room.
#5 and #6 :i don't like them(sorry) :-\
#1 is not bad,...just darker than #2.
In #3 the lights are wrong.The floor there is too dark.

ratracer

thanks for your replies: now I have a direction to follow and will stop losing time with the others...

4 and 2 seem to be the "winners", which is good, since it coincides with my first impression! it's a bit strange, since they should have the same lighting (although the dirty walls are darker  than in the clean version), but since 4 is obviously darker than 2, something must be different... I have to review them...

I also have a daylight version (with the obiquous venesian blinds shadows) but I don't think it's still ready for C&C...

another question: do you think the scale is correct (ie the height of the walls correspond to the size of the desk, for instance)? it should be, since I measured from my own place (which is supposed to have a slight larger height than average), but to mind it doesn't feel right, it feels than the ceiling is just above a characters head - although he would have to be more then 3 m tall!

BTW: I did it in 3ds Max... Unfortunately I went yesterday for a peek at Renderosity.com galleries, and some of the works there really make me feel worthless and ignorant in 3d (which I am...), especially in what concernes composition, lighting and camera angles...

Miez

Number 4 is great! bit of a creepy room though, very "Silent Hill". :)

AndersM

Concerning light only, #2 is the best. Some peole might say it's too bright, but it's an office (or some kind of office), right? offices needs strong light.

Neole

I liked 3rd and 7th best though they'd all make classy backgrounds for any game. Mainly cos I like subdued colors myself in realistic graphics.

Cerulean

2 = clean, climate-controlled office building.
4 = office of a warehouse.

danny*

Quote from: ratracer on Fri 20/06/2003 09:54:32
Unfortunately I went yesterday for a peek at Renderosity.com galleries, and some of the works there really make me feel worthless and ignorant in 3d (which I am...), especially in what concernes composition, lighting and camera angles...

restless he is ...obi-wan,....(like his father...) :P

Igor

1 & 4 for me (2 is also good) :)

Edit: thinking about it, 2 will probably work better in game than 1.

Erwin_Br

Suggestion: Add windows and place a few lights behind them. It will guarantee nice lighting effects, especially when you make those lights a bit yellow (sunny) or dark purple if it's night.

--Erwin

electric_hare

Quote from: ratracer on Fri 20/06/2003 09:54:32
another question: do you think the scale is correct (ie the height of the walls correspond to the size of the desk, for instance)? it should be, since I measured from my own place (which is supposed to have a slight larger height than average), but to mind it doesn't feel right, it feels than the ceiling is just above a characters head - although he would have to be more then 3 m tall!

It's probably bad manners to 'de-lurk' with a criticism, but it's really more of a suggestion so I hope I'll be forgiven  :)

I think it might be the size of the carpet pattern that's throwing off the scale. The desk and chairs look perfectly in proportion with the walls, but the large pattern of the carpet seems to be creating a slight 'dolls house' effect.

Maybe scaled down to 75% of what you have now?

Cheers

- Graham

Synthetique

just put in some ambient light and evewrything will look good..

Neole

electric_hare 's probly right with the carpet texture size comment. It had struck me as very odd at first but then I sort of adjusted to it. I think the texture's too big too.

ratracer

your comments made me rethink about it and I'll probably scrap the whole deal and will try to make two distinct office interiors...

a window will be a must (and light from outside too)  and the carpet will have smaller tiling, that's for sure...

in the meantime, I've just seen (again) Batman 1 and the production design of that movie is awesome... Unfortunately, I think it's a bit hard to replicate...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk