Script Q: Display Message special

Started by , Sat 21/06/2003 00:20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunti

how would i script this:

Display a Message in the Color 8, using font 3, in the middle of the screen, at y-coordinate 120.

?

Thanks.

Scorpiorus

Create a GUI (named GUIDISPLAY for ex.) and make it a Text Window. Set it's foreground color to 8.
Then once you want to display that specific message:

SetTextWindowGUI (GUIDISPLAY);
SetNormalFont(3);
DisplayAtY (120, "blah blah blah");
SetNormalFont(..); // reset to normal font
SetTextWindowGUI (-1); // reset to the default white box

-Cheers

Gunti

turning it into a text-window somehow ****'s it up. its height and width go different and i cant change it back. Also, in-game its somehow disturbing another gui (open/save/quit).

Scorpiorus

Quoteturning it into a text-window somehow ****'s it up. its height and width go different and i cant change it back.
You should not change it's size. Just convert it to the text window and assign border graphics (eight buttons along the GUI edges).

QuoteAlso, in-game its somehow disturbing another gui (open/save/quit).
What do you mean by disturbing? If you made a new GUI it wouldn't affect another one.

How it goes?

Gunti

Well, suddenly the Open/Save/Quit GUI got errorous. When i move my mouse over the "QUIT" Button, "Pick UP" will pop up. i made a screenshot:
http://www.surf-guru.de/gui_error.jpg

i cant find where to fix this.

Scorpiorus

What exactly GUI you made a text window? You had to make a new one then convert it to the text window.

Did you add any script?

gunti

yes i made a new one, and i didnt add a script.

Scorpiorus

So you say all you do is made a new GUI, converted it to the text window. Then compiled and run the game. And then you see that messy. Right? What  AGS version?

Gunti

yes.
Version 2.55 (May'03)

and i am using that lucas-arts template, someone from this board posted.

Gunti

found the error. in the gui, the load,save and play buttons all had "12" defined as "image", while QUIT for some reason had "23", which is that pick-up image. so i set it to 12 and the problem is gone ;))

but another quick question:

is it possible to alter the order of the rooms ? like lets say u have:
room1
room2
room3

but want to insert a room between 1 and 2, so could you make a new room and change the room-orders ?

Scorpiorus

Quotefound the error. in the gui, the load,save and play buttons all had "12" defined as "image", while QUIT for some reason had "23", which is that pick-up image.
hmm, very strange. If you didn't change it's graphic then it means AGS did it itself! Looking at the screenshot I would say AGS could change a sprite.

What is id number of that the text window GUI?

Can you replicate that messy by deleting and making a new text window?

Quotebut another quick question:

is it possible to alter the order of the rooms ? like lets say you have:
room1
room2
room3

but want to insert a room between 1 and 2, so could you make a new room and change the room-orders ?
No, unfortunately it's impossible because rooms are linked to appropriate room files. You have to rename these files if you want to insert a room between. What I would suggest you is to create the rooms so:
room 0
room 10
room 20
room 30

later you could easely "insert" a room between:
room 0
room 1
room 10
room 11
room 12

room 20
etc.