Morry, College Professor/Voodoun Priestess (concept art)

Started by Pesty, Sat 21/06/2003 11:30:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Pesty

Here is a character from the Bayou part of my game. Her name is Morry and she's an odd voodoun priestess who is also a philosophy professor at the local community college. Don't ask me about the pose. All I will respond with is that it's dynamic. Maybe she got angry at someone (which she does a lot) and is about to throw that crystal ball at someone through levitation. I dunno. I thought it looked neat.

It's fast becoming one of my very favorite pictures. I am most proud of her hair.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

BOYD1981

she reminds me of Stacy Dash.
the only thing i'd do to change that pic is get rid of the dandruff...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

TheYak

I realize that with the cartoony-style it allows the eyeball to hover in front of the hair but it still bugs me.  

One thing, if she's a voodoo priestess or something of that nature, why not give her symbolic necklaces or tattoos or something.  Even if she's going "plain-clothes" she might have something symbolizing her religion.  It also looks significantly like your Pesty and Pancake characters with different coloring.  Why not try a different nose or slightly differently shaped face?  Just general criticisms but the image as a whole is pure radical awesomeness and then some.  

As with your others, I'm kinda wondering how this is going to look in pixel-char mode.

Igor

Cute! :)
My only minor critic would be, that she looks a bit too young for a professor (it must be something about her clothes).

Miez

Nice artwork, Pesty! I really like her face. What game is she going to be in? didn't know you were making a game at all??

Flippy_D

Lovely work. I'd hide the right eye (her right) and remove the white from her hair, then it'll be very good indeed.

Also, listen to scotch.

Nice shoes by the way.

Andail

Quote from: BOYD1981 on Sat 21/06/2003 12:39:51
the only thing i'd do to change that pic is get rid of the dandruff...
You make it sound so easy...it takes months of special shampoo treatment and lots of vitamines.
I think.

Pesty

Quote from: YakSpit on Sat 21/06/2003 13:08:39
I realize that with the cartoony-style it allows the eyeball to hover in front of the hair but it still bugs me.  

One thing, if she's a voodoo priestess or something of that nature, why not give her symbolic necklaces or tattoos or something.  Even if she's going "plain-clothes" she might have something symbolizing her religion.  It also looks significantly like your Pesty and Pancake characters with different coloring.  Why not try a different nose or slightly differently shaped face?  Just general criticisms but the image as a whole is pure radical awesomeness and then some.  

As with your others, I'm kinda wondering how this is going to look in pixel-char mode.

I don't have any Pesty character (and if there were, it would be me) and there are differences between the way Morry looks and the way Pancakes looks. This picture doesn't emphasize any of them, I'll agree, but there are differences in the body type and face (the expression and the angle make a difference). I have a habit of drawing noses like that, but Morry's is wider than Pancake's, she's a lot taller and skinnier all around. Her eyes are also wider and rounder, but in this picture she's squinting a lot, so it makes it look smaller. About the tattoos and stuff, she doesn't have any obvious ones because she has to keep up appearances for her job and she likes to be more casual. Next time I'll do a picture of her in her whole voodoun priestess getup.

As for the eye "hovering" over the hair that people have mentioned, I don't see it. The hair is over the eye and you can see part of the eye through it, but the eye is definately not floating over the hair. The "dandruff" (jackass!) is shine and there is a pixel of white next to the eye that might make it look like it's part of the eye, but it's not. Anyhow, I like the white shine, so nyeah.

Miez, I've been working on a game going on five years, and only the past year or so have I been actually working on it in AGS. It's called "Breakfast".

And Yak, this is only concept art, not a picture I'm going to turn into a sprite.

Lesse, what else. Oh, Igor she's in her early 30's (something like 32 or 33). I've had professors younger than that, so I figured it'd be a good age.

There we go. I think that takes care of it all. Thanks for the comments, I really do appreciate them, despite what it might sound like!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Flippy_D

Oh, through the hair? Hmm.... I'd make it more obvious. Put strands of brown hair over the black of her pupil, it looks a little unnatural currently.

Pesty

I took out the light brown from the hair. I still don't see why her eye looks unnatural, but maybe without the light brown/white people'll stop thinking it's part of her eye. I still liked the shine, but I like it this way too.

Squinky

You rock Pesty, I can't find a thing wrong with this...

Synthetique

Miez

Quote from: Pestilence on Sun 22/06/2003 02:08:49
I took out the light brown from the hair. I still don't see why her eye looks unnatural, but maybe without the light brown/white people'll stop thinking it's part of her eye. I still liked the shine, but I like it this way too.

I liked the shine on her hair as well, but it was very white, maybe if you'd use a very pale brown or yellow (like the highlights on her arms) it might work better.

Ali

I think this looks great, it's so well drawn!

The only thing is: if I wasn't told she was a Voodoo affiliate, I'd have thought she was a Romany. In spite of her dark skin, her features are quite caucasian. That's fine, because it gives the character a style (like manga) but she could be made to look more negroid by widening the nostrils and darkening her eyes.
This is what I mean:

I really hope you don't mind me playing with the image. It's not very good, I'm just trying to show what I mean.

loominous

I like the pic. Some suggestions:

(i) Those tiny highlights looks wierd imo, as if her skin was made of plastic n illuminated by a small flashlight. I d increase the size of them.

(ii) Her hair looks a bit too stripy imo n that single hair that hangs across her face looks like a string. I d make the highlights in the hair larger n interlaced with eachother, something between the present n anime highlights; n id increase the size of the lock of hair that hangs across her face, at least close to the roots.

(iii) Lastly I think it s those shoes that make her look juvenile. I d replace them with some kind of smaller leathershoes to add some years to her looks.
Looking for a writer

Neole

Looks great, only she looks like someone in a bowling alley rather than a voodoo priestes/prof.

n3tgraph

she's cute :)

why is she a voodoo priestess... :P

j/k
* N3TGraph airguitars!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk