game view

Started by Paranoia, Tue 24/06/2003 18:37:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Paranoia

i could of swore AGS had this feature but i'm probably wrong, is it possible to have the game view following the character, like in  silent hills or other games like that?
ta Paranoia

Scummbuddy

the viewport does follow the character. I dont understand what you mean.  do you want it to move as if to keep the character in the center of the screen at all times as rooms scroll around you as you try and move to the right.  Like the backgrounds move beneath you?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Paranoia

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Tue 24/06/2003 18:44:30
do you want it to move as if to keep the character in the center of the screen at all times as rooms scroll around you as you try and move to the right.  Like the backgrounds move beneath you?
yes thats what i would like to do, sorry i explained it badly :-[

Scummbuddy

Earlier this year, someone wrote some code to create a more 'lucasarts' feel so that when a character got near, not next to, but near an edge, like a couple steps away, the room would scroll.  If someone remembers where to find that, then we could post that and help you modify it for your game's like.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Paranoia

that would be great ;D, theres no desprate panic, the games in its very early stages and i'm trying to fit different ideas together now rather than half way thro the game and messing things up like in the past :-\

thanks

Proskrito

a-v-o made it... he called it "smart scroll". I´ll see if i can find it and i´ll edit this post, but i think its not what Paranoia is looking for.
If i understood correctly, this could be handy:
From the SetViewport function in the manual:
QuoteExample:

SetViewport (character[MAN].x - 160, character[MAN].y - 110);

will scroll around and follow character MAN in a specific room, ( you must put this in the room's repeatedly execute event)
Dont know if its what you wanted.

Scummbuddy

-Hoagie from DOTT

Paranoia

thanks, i really appreciate the help ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk