#AGS IRC - Public Consultation

Started by Pumaman, Sat 12/07/2003 23:26:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezoid

How about if you're asleep, you turn IRC off? Just a thought.

In any case, my boredom doesn't usually reach "might as well give #ags a visit" level until around midnight, which is 5 in the morn for UKians.

scotch

That's right.. I don't really like people leaving it on.. spose it's just convenient for some people..

Glad you find the room as boring as I do..

|Alky|

Whatever.
But I'm currently being persecuted in the channel topic, which I think is unfair, and unprofessional on the part of the ops... '_'
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

We're going back to the tick tock to get the boo-boo. Send for backup. - Baby's Day Out

Adamski

I really do think it's sad that it's come to this. Not that I disagree with the rules... perhaps i'll start visiting #ags again if this helps to cut down on the utter dirge that's in there... but it shouldn't be necessary. Neither should having the gen-gen patrolled by moderators be necessary. But what once was a little haven in the surrounding awfulness of the internet is slowly sinking like the titanic. 'Tis a sad story.

Pumaman

Heh, discussing IRC is always like opening a rather large can of worms...

And what do you mean, CJ, by "Selection of new 'ops' is made by appointment only and no requests for op status will be given."? How can it be by appt. if no requests are accepted? I'll PM you regarding this

It means that if a new op is needed, we will look at who has been regularly on the channel and behaving responsibly, and ask them if they want to become an op.
This rule is just designed to stop the people who come onto the channel and PM someone 10 minutes later saying "Can I be an op".

QuoteI haven't been in #ags in a few weeks, but often times about 90% of the people in the room rarely spoke, even when the conversation was slow.

Heh, as scotch says, it varies dramatically depending on the time of day. As you can see from the graph at the top of the stats page, 19:00 - 23:00 UK time is the busiest period when it can sometimes be very difficult to get a word in edgeways.
However yes, if you come along at the quiet times it can indeed be practically silent.

Anyway, the crux of this thread is, do any of you have any particular objections to the proposed rules?

QuoteI really do think it's sad that it's come to this

I think it was Mills that put this best a while back - the larger a community gets, the less of a community it becomes. Sad, but it's a reality of life  ._.

Jimi

I have no objections. I think they will help cut down the total crap on there. Which is partly me.  :-[ :-X

m0ds

Then again, if you find it hard to join in - why bother going on IRC? ^_^

m0ds

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Quote from: m0ds on Sun 13/07/2003 17:38:21
Then again, if you find it hard to join in - why bother going on IRC? ^_^

m0ds

So basically if you can't keep up with the endless, extremely fast(and extremely random sometimes) flow of talk, just stay out?

rodekill

I propose #AGSParty, where a flagrant disregard for others is encouraged, and coloured text is mandatory! Whoohee!
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

n3tgraph

Bah, if these rules were there I think I wouldn't come again so often anymore.... I don't have so much technical questions :)

I like it the way it is now
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Esseb

The rules state that techie questions aren't allowed n3t :).

n3tgraph

damn.....

oh well, I just like to talk nonsense in there from time to time ;)

as long as non-synth discussion is not a rule I think I could live with rules and probably be banned within 2 days :S
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Robert Eric

Yeah, #ags is for silliness, but not stupidity.
Ã, Ã, 

Nacho

Meesage ackowleadge! No more stupidity in #Ags.
* Farlander thumbs up
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

TerranRich

Might I suggest a way of quieting down an insanely-scrolling room: Set the room's mode to +m where only ops can speak for a minute or so,  depending on how crazy it was. This shouldl be used only when craziness erupts, such as (1) excess actions, (2) bot abuse, (3) smilies and spelling corrections abound.

One of the many "crowd control" methods the IRC gestapo can use ;) :P

n3tgraph

well yeah, but when that is used too much.... A lot of nice-to-talk-tos will disappear

I think :)

But heck you could try it
* N3TGraph airguitars!

magintz

:O ... no more talking about boobies :'(

Oh wel, they seem fair and I agree, it foes get out of hand sometimes, but if people want to go off on random talk about any old nusence, whether it be to argue or anyhting use another channel :D #meatball is one I started up which has a bot called bob-bot on sometimes.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Pumaman

Alright, we'll give it a go. So, let's say that from midnight tonight the new rules will take effect, and let's see how it goes.

remixor

I haven't been on #ags for about a month since my computer is really crapped up at the moment (I'm on a family member's machine right now) but it sounds like it's gotten a lot crazier since then.  By the time my hard drive gave out I was hardly ever speaking though, since I never knew what the hell was going on.  I think instituting a basic rule set is a pretty good idea.  I'm not sure how enforcable it will be in the long run, but it's definitely worth a shot and I think the proposed rules are sound.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Femme Stab Mode >:D

I have an objection!  :D
I am tired of Roger calling me sir. That pisses me off majorly.eg.
<femme>roger don't call me sir
<roger>femme:yes,sir?
o_O
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk