The (hopefully) last essay on newbie-ism

Started by Andail, Tue 15/07/2003 20:40:54

Previous topic - Next topic

gonzalezj

I understand where everyone is coming from in light of recent events. What I have noticed is that no matter what community I have been involved in, I have noticed that there has always been a rift between the Oldies and the Newbies; Tolerance is dependant upon a person's personality; Finally, no matter what, everyone wants acceptance.

When I first joined, I posted my problems and had a big ego* that I would release great games through my company to impress everyone here. I also remembering trying to impress Chris when I packaged one of the AGS releases in a Self-Extracting Setup program. I also remebering helping Scid create a SCID Interface (Verb Coin) and then after that, I went on a hiatus. That was a year or two ago when I hated the game I was making and I didn't want to ask everyone here a bunch of questions about game creation.

Recently I have returned and for a while I was going along and posting alot (Naming company, etc.) but I tried not to post un-necessary things**. I hate to pick on a few posts, but I don't think it matters too much if the temperature is rising, if you have discovered that there is a site where everything is spelled backwards, or if your website had 1001 customers over the course of 3 years. It's un-necessary to litter the threads with these posts and also stupid jokes which might piss off Moderators.

I also have come to realize that I can't judge anybody on this board. As soon as I do, I will piss someone off. I found Helm's recent post(s) interesting because I got to find out that Helm tells people when he is pissed off at someone (or many). Sometimes, that takes more guts than most people have.

Finally, I have come to some decisions. I hope to also leave this forum (Gen. Discussion) alone because I know that If i decide to spend my time here, I will end up posting my useless opinion*** and waste space up here. I will always make sure to read the "Read before posting" threads and I will make sure to search the boards before I post a question. I hope to post reliable help / criticism in the Technical Forum / Critics Lounge. I also hope to release my tutorials soon. I also plan release my game to try to be that "1 in 100 newbies release a game". I don't know if it will be good or not, we'll see.I don't know if I'm going to be done with game-making all together after my first game, but we'll see. If I do give it up, it wouldn't be because of you guys here. I have always found AGS Forums inviting and there wouldn't be this community without CJ (the all-time oldie) and other game-making enthusiasts (other oldies, too many to name).

Well time to wrap this up:

***Useless Opinion ^^
**Un-Necessary ^^
*Big Ego > ;D

Well I know I will check this post for replys to my crap here. I don't know if it all made sense because I am kinda trippy right now, but that's another story :). Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cheers, Jason.

P.S. I have to thank Igu for his recent help with helping me with Talk-Animation. I forgot to thank him. Sorry Igor. I have many others to thank, but I dedicate my next game to those people. Hope to release sometime in August '03!!!

Matt Brown

I think ol' rick has really hit the nail on the head. I think its more important to be humble, and work hard then it is to say, make a great game, although that is important. A lot of valued, older members of the community have either not made games, or made short, little of note games. M0DS, one of the communitie's more respected member's, has not to my knowlage, made a full, complete game, (although he will soon). He does however, help out it other ways, and is interesting to listen to. I think that we all have to be prepared to give something back to AGS. weather that means we give tech advice (like SSH and rich do so well), or make music, be a great poster, or help with web hosting, or, hopefully, make great games. we all can do something here, and when we contribute, the community becomes stronger.

also, given time, almost all newbies mature if they stay. for every kikme, there are 5 flippy's. (remember those I know everything about the simpsons threads? :)) I was an ass when I first joined, getting all defensive about people saying my game wasnt very good. I hated MILLSJROSS for a while because I wasnt humble. I dont hate him now...I like him. and I hope that I've matured some. given time, most everybody does
word up

Flippy_D

Quote from: Mr.Panda on Sun 20/07/2003 01:34:09
also, given time, almost all newbies mature if they stay. for every kikme, there are 5 flippy's. (remember those I know everything about the simpsons threads? :))

* Flippy_D whistles innocently.

(PS: gragh, upload your avatar! I send it to you a while back.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk