My right hand is out of action because of my damn computer!!!

Started by Femme Stab Mode >:D, Wed 16/07/2003 04:50:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Everything I type today I type with only one hand because I've got RUI - repetitive use injury in my right forearm. I spent waaay too much time on the computer during the holidays and I want to warn you people. Sooo... If you spend more than 6 hours a day on the computer you are likely to put one of your arms out of action for a month. It is very painful, so please take care and don't make my mistake. :'(
See you in a month,
:-*, femme.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Trapezoid

Never happened to me. I've been using the computator nonstop for most of my life.

auhsor

Yeah, my wrists do get some sometimes after using the computer... i gotta be careful...

TerranRich

I use my computer for hours at a time. I think my body is used to it. I'm lucky my ass isn't stuck to the chair. Uh-oh...

* Dryhump tries to get up...

BOYD1981

the only time my wrists ever started hurting when i was using a pc is when i used one of those natural ergonomic keyboards, it was just so awkward to type...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

m0ds

Theres only one reason I'll ever get wrist ache. And thats not from using the PC.

m0ds

Chrille

Which means m0ds will never get wrist ache. He's by far too lazy to paint buildings on a regular basis.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Femme Stab Mode >:D

he he I worked out a way to use only one hand for typing. The mouse doesn't like me though...
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

SSH

It is not to do with how much time you spend at the computer, but rather how you sit when you do. Your forearms should be in a straight line from the elbow to your knuckles to avoid the tendons rubbing on the carpal tunnel wall. You should also be able to rest your forearms on something (without having to bend the wrist), but avoid putting all your weight on them ( this is to avoid shoulder tendon/ligament problems)

Also, try to have the top of your monitor screen level with your eyes to avoid neck problems.

To avoid stress-related problems, avoid reading the GenGen forum   :P

Paranoia

my ankles swell up if i'm on the pc to long, or is it the drinks every 20 mins?!

mods you need to get out more if its making your wrist ache!..... then again, the hand never sez no or has a headache :P ;D

femme i've typed one handed for 2 years,....well one finger n thumb!!
Paranoia

*o joy a thread where no ones getting attacked, swamped with rules and in no way god like ;)*

Raggit

Quote from: m0ds on Wed 16/07/2003 11:19:38
Theres only one reason I'll ever get wrist ache. And thats not from using the PC.

m0ds

Yeah, obsessive use of something else....

I've never gotten any wrist aches from using the PC.  But once when I was using it for awhile I was sitting to hunched over in my chair and got a sore back. It went away the next day.  

So the lesson is: Hey kids, spend as much time on the computer as possible! And if you get hurt, don't worry it's only temporary!!!!  And be sure and take a break now and then to make your wrists sore from what m0ds does.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

SSH

Quote from: Raggit on Wed 16/07/2003 14:40:17
And if you get hurt, don't worry it's only temporary!!!!  And be sure and take a break now and then

It will only be temporary if you stop doing whatever made it hurt, when it starts to hurt. Some people can get seriously injured from this, so don't push through the pain, folks!

Health and Safety at work regulations in the UK suggest taking a break from using a computer for 5 minutes every hour. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg36.pdf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk