AGS for Xbox

Started by Theratt, Thu 24/07/2003 17:13:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Theratt

I think AGS should be ported to the MS Xbox. Does anybody else think this is a good idea?

Privateer Puddin'

Similar things have been mentioned with Dreamcast or PS2 (as it has Linux Developement)

I see no real reason to port AGS to xbox or any other consoles, certainly with all the work involved.

Theratt

I disagree completely. The Xbox homebrew scene is huge. Sarien (Sierra AGI) has been ported, ScummVM (Lucasarts) and FreeSCI (Sierra SCI) are on the way. I understand that AGS is not an emulator, but the same fan base plays the games. Dreamcast is dead (I wish that where not true), PS2 lacks a hard drive, Xbox is perfect for porting to.

BTW ScummVM has taken less then a week to port, and Sarien took less then an hour.

BOYD1981

what do you do if the game needs a text parser?

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Czar

i wantd to ask a similar question, and yeah, what will we do once it has been ported, what can they do with a Adv. game developing engine?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

scotch

I think he meant the runtime engine rather than the editor. It'd be nice.. although not worth it if it'd take more than a couple of days IMO.

Privateer Puddin'

the dreamcast is anything but dead

its games get into the Jap charts more consistently than xbox games do to this very day

m0ds

CJ, when are you going to create a Windows version of AGS?

::)

Pumaman

M$ Winblow$ suck0rs, there will never be a WinAGS!!!111  :P

Theratt

1) If you need a Text parser, plug in a keyboard. That what Sarien uses.
2) I was talking about the runtime engine. The dev environment would be useless on Xbox.
3) I own a Dreamcast and follow the dev scene. I guess you are right about it not being dead. BUT, it's heading in that direction fast :'(

Pumaman

On the serious side, I'm really don't know much about the XBox. If it is just a mini-PC running a version of Windows and DirectX, then a port could be relatively easy, but I really don't know anything about xbox development.

veryweirdguy

This may seem like an odd question, but never-the-less:

Why bother playing the games on Xbox when you can play them on your PC? I am assuming that you have a PC (because you managed to post here). I'm sure playng with a mouse is much better than playing with a pad, but that's just my opinion, I guess. ;D

BOYD1981

not everyone has a keyboard for their xbox, and if they can just play the games on a pc i don't think they're gonna go buy one just so they can play on xbox, plus have you ever actually played a console port of a pc game? the text becomes almost unreadable, i think something like GameMaker or Scrolling Game Development Kit would be better to port to a console...

01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

PeaceMan

Yeah, that happened to me when I played Discworld 2 on the PSX if the text was dark. You lose the sharpness of the graphics too.

Theratt

I guess I'll take this one at a time.

Q: Why bother playing the games on Xbox when you can play them on your PC?
A: Just to have options. I enjoy playing these types of games on my TV.
Q: I am assuming that you have a PC (because you managed to post here).
A: I do, and enjoy playing games on it.
Q: I'm sure playing with a mouse is much better than playing with a pad.
A: Sometime. If it’s a FPS, Then yes (although the Xbox is the best console effort yet). As for adventure games, they both work for me.
Q: not everyone has a keyboard for their xbox
A: True, but they should :)
Q: if they can just play the games on a pc I don't think they're gonna go buy one just so they can play on xbox
A: Not just for AGS. Linux, AGI, Quake 2 just to name a few.
Q: have you ever actually played a console port of a pc game?
A: yes. And most of them are great.

I just thought it would be nice to bring a whole new library of games to the Xbox.  I consider AGI, SCI, Scumm, and AGS to all be the same (as far as types of games go).  AGI, SCI and Scumm will all be playable very soon. So I thought why not bring AGS to the system also. You could use the controller as the mouse input and a keyboard for text input.

BTW: text on a TV (at least my 27 inch TV) is completely readable at 640x480

Frogman

Can't you hook up your computer to your TV for a moniter?  One of the Tierra guys said he did that for a game, I think.  I'd like to figure out how to do that.

Theratt

yes you can. you just need a video card that has TV out. it's not hard.

edmundito

point + click adventures are not desinged for consoles.... have you ever tried playing Maniac Mansion on the inintendo? it's a pain in the ass. (actually I've only played emulated but still). That's why console RPGS are totally different from Computer RPGs, because they 're just designed for different kinds of input.

Adventure games for console require more running and physical activity. Some examples would be Shadow of Destiny (it's mostly just running around) and Splinter Cell. Splinter Cell is adventure in a totally different sort of way.. the way of the console :P

The cool porting would be AGS for pocket PC... that'd be awesome! I don't have a pocket pc, but I wish I had one so I could play MI on the go with scummvm :P
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

BOYD1981

another downside is that people will need a cdrw or be willing to waste a lot of CDRs burning games that are a couple of mb just so they can play an adventure game on their xbox, plus won't you need a chipped xbox to read the CDs anyway?
the effort wouldn't be worth the outcome...

Sylpher

"A: Just to have options. I enjoy playing these types of games on my TV."

Buy a video card with a video out option.

Not to rain on your parade or anything but the amount of work that would be needed to port AGS to X-box or any other system would be completely worthless...Other then a neat factor..Yeah it would be neat to play an AGS game on a console but other then that it serves no purpose at all.

I enjoy playing Nes and Snes games on my dreamcast because Nes and Snes games were made to play on a console on a television...not on a Pc with a Pc gamepad, keyboard...or some wacky rig to hook up an original controller.

Just the same AGS games were made to play on PC...Yeah you can get a keyboard for it but why? You have a perfectly good keyboard for your computer...it is going way out of the way just to do nothing...

Sorry. I don't mean to be negative but after the neat effect of playing Quake 2 on the Xbox is gone nothing is there...it is the same exact game that is on the PC...with bad gameplay mechanics and ACTION ACTION ACTION...I agree it is sorta neat but if I repeat myself anymore someone will eat me.

Las Naranjas

I think it'd be interesting to see how a different demographic (that is, xbox hombrew peeps) react. If we're trying to prevent stagnation and death, finding new ares might have merit. I think we're shooting down a suggestion rather hastily.

---edit---
If a ported runtime engine is made, it even opens up the prospect for adventures designed with the xbox contoller in mind, which opens up new possibilities. That's help shift from the stagnation the likes of Mostly bemoan.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Scummbuddy

Alright, so stop complaining about not being able to play them on your XBox or whatever.

Just get this console when it comes out semi-soon.  It can play PC games as well as more, so check it out.

http://www.phantom.net/intro.html

;D
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Theratt

Thank you Las Naranjas. I'm glad to see there is at least one other person that thinks it might be a good idea.

Sylpher, I do have TV out on my computer... and I use it.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Yes, the exact thing we need right now is an influx of newbies who have never  really played adventure games! Bring it on!

Las Naranjas

There's a bit of enertia from much of the community.
So don't get too intimidated.

And hey, if it's true that they haven't "really played adventures" they might lack the prejudices that caurse us to replicate the same games over and over.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

auhsor

Heh, the first adventure game i played was maniac mansion on the commodore 64, and that was cool...

Gilbert

I think it may be possible to port AGS to teh crap box and may give options too, but that's not really important IMO. I think it's more feasible to have a NES/Famicom port of AGS!

Seriously though, real native linux port (including editor, etc) and mac port can be cool also, but since I don't have these systems it's none of my concern. :p

Scummbuddy

Did anyone actually go to the link I posted?
Its what you all want for a console and our games connected, just not XBox, but the next console on the market.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Gilbert

Nope, as I'm not interested in new consoles anyway, the newest console I ever own is just the PC Engine.

Scummbuddy

Well, I didn't mean you   ;)   just those that really wanted to play thier games on a console.  ;D
-Hoagie from DOTT

Snake

I always thought it would be cool if AGS had it's own handheld where you can download your games onto it and play them on the go ;) Like if you're waiting to board an airplane or if you're a student in study hall (with no work to do first of course ;) ). It would have a little joystick which would be the mouse, and a mini keyboard built in. CJ, get to work buddy ;)

Scummy: That site is taking forever to load for some reason...it's still all white!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk