MS Paint/ professional background look

Started by Chicky, Tue 29/07/2003 19:13:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicky

Hi all,

just wondering how many people use ms paint for their art in their games. Personally i do and my friends think my art is great , but what really is the advantage of using say psp for backgrounds?

*new question*
scroll down to my next post

cheers for any replys

- a chicken

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

The tool I find myself using most often that isn't in MSPaint is the Magic Wand tool - this allows you to select a region of just one colour (like a flood fill, only it selects stuff instead of colouring it in). Also, I think layers are pretty neato, and I use them all the time for colouring, drawing perspective lines, and keeping original scans underneath what I'm working on. Other than that, there's not much that PSP, Photoshop and others can offer the pixel artist.

agsking

Many people use mspaint for backgrounds, its a great tool.
But the advatage of psp or photoshop is it can use layers.
Layers are very cool, I was a little sacred of them at first, but they are VERY useful when you get used to them. They save you lots of time animating, and if you don't like part of a picture you made, like say a house, just delete that layer. Layers do other cool things.

Those programs also have neat features (like unlimited undo :)) that can help you move on and become a better computer artist insteat of being stuck with the same old tools like paint (not that mspaint is bad, I love the thing). Theres alwase something new to learn.
They are expensive though, around the hundreds but you can just download a pirated copy  ;)

Anyway, I recommend photoshop of paint shop pro, but thats just me.

Paranoia

i use a combination of PSP and ms paint, i tend to use paint to resize things and clean up the edges, and the first draft of the background scenes, PSP i use for shading, creating the objects (using layers) and general BS! i seem to be cursed with white outlines on my sprites, how do u turn the anti alias off?! animation shop for animation frames and  intros
i also use truespace for 3d scenes (moving on to 3d max soon) and poser is handy for 3D figures, but its a pain in the ass to use

agsking

Use the pencil tool  ;)

EDIT: Sorry Paranoia, that's photoshop, in psp go to "Tool Options" and change the "hardness" to 100.

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

I use the GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/) - it's just as powerful as PSP, but freeware. The only catch is, since it's ported from Linux the interface is a little... quirky ^_^

OneThinkingGal and ._.

I use PS and PSP for serious work, but paint is great to doodle in and if I want to just want to play around to get the initial composition right. Somehow the lines seem to look nicer in Paint. :P

PS and PS have layers, better colour selections, better blending options and opactities that let me do much more than I could with paint. ._.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

I used MS paint for my first game but now I only use it to clean up the edges. I miss the magic wand and the filters so  now I'm trying hard to learn to use photoshop.
* Sasha  can't wait untill she gets the drawing tablet she was promised
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Captain Mostly

MS paint has so many hidden details to it! I love it!

Like the right click function on the rubber tool! That's so clever (although I over-use it)!

I love working with it because EVERY TIME I think I've got it sussed, I work out another cool thing I can do by combining a few of it's options!

The only thing I ever use psp for is the fancy filters you can put on things (like blurring etc). But there's no sence of achievement using that. Where's the skill?? Certainly not in my drawing!

Gilbert

Heh I like the right click rubber tool too, that's how I make coloured outlines, though the Stencil function of DP is far more powerful (another feature overused by me). Too bad my office computer is messed up so M$Pain always crash for me.  :'(

Trapezoid

What the hell's the rubber tool?

Gilbert

Heh, "eraser" if you cant stand teh word "rubber" ;)

Chicky

nice one!

wow i got a lot more reply's than i expected , i mainly use mspaint for building structures (bendy line tool kicks a$$) but the magic wand tool (psp) i find very usefull for filling block colours. Also its really useful that you can edit colours picked up with the popett on psp.

*new question*
i've recently been playing games like search for sanity and aprentice, now seaarch for santy is obviously hand painted backgrounds but aprentice has really professional like backgrounds but it looks like they're computerdrawn. How do i get such a nice effect on my backgrounds which looks so damn professional.

cheers

a chicken

plasticman

Quote from: Captain Mostly on Wed 30/07/2003 07:30:36
MS paint has so many hidden details to it! I love it!

Like the right click function on the rubber tool! That's so clever (although I over-use it)!

I love working with it because EVERY TIME I think I've got it sussed, I work out another cool thing I can do by combining a few of it's options!

The only thing I ever use psp for is the fancy filters you can put on things (like blurring etc). But there's no sence of achievement using that. Where's the skill?? Certainly not in my drawing!

that's so true ! you can even learn to use the aerograph (spray ?) tool to make cool dithering and stuff like that ! it even has spline curves !
and i hate misused filters !

agsking

Quote*new question*
i've recently been playing games like search for sanity and aprentice, now seaarch for santy is obviously hand painted backgrounds but aprentice has really professional like backgrounds but it looks like they're computerdrawn. How do i get such a nice effect on my backgrounds which looks so damn professional.

Well, you must practice practice practice, even in real life, on paper. I also recommend Deluxe Paint II. It dosen't use layers and runs in DOS, but its good when you know how to use it, Monkey Island 1 was made using dpaint. You can get real professional art using it. Also, Photoshop seems easier for the kind of stuff you want to do.

Rincewind

Well, I use MsPaint for basically everything, both backgrounds and sprites. That depends both on that I find it easy to use, I like the style it creates, and because I'm to much of a lazy cheapskate to buy a "real" paint-program... ;)

WanderLady

A question I have about paint - if you don't mind, oversizedchicken - is about choosing colors.

Games like "Apprentice" always seem to have the right....beautiful colors. I know they can be chosen in paint, but how is it done?  Or even in the other programs. Not technically, but artistically.

And if you see this, agsking or gilbot, why is dpaint good? What can it do better?

Las Naranjas

I wonder how many people here did buy PS or PSP.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

undergroundling

I bought Photoshop 6 and the upgrade to Photoshop 7.

Well, okay, I didn't, but my dad bought them for work and brought them home for me to install on my computer.

But it sorta counts.

Gilbert

Quote from: WanderLady on Wed 30/07/2003 18:59:12
And if you see this, agsking or gilbot, why is dpaint good? What can it do better?

DP can do much more than M$Pain, though actually using a small subset of its function is already enough, and it's designed for indexed colour pictures (so no true/hicolour crap, for the PC version at least), whereas support for index colour in M$Pain is extremely poor, which is the case for 90% of window$ programmes. Finally, DP is for DOS, which is what I REALLY need.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk