MS Paint/ professional background look

Started by Chicky, Tue 29/07/2003 19:13:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Paranoia

i didn't 'buy' PSP7 it came from kazaa, (please don't turn this into another right or wrong thread)  but i wise i had the money and would gladly buy the newer versions with all the backup, its the second most used program on this PC.

Paranoia

Chicky

To wanderlady

About your question for choosing the right backgrouns colours

well ... a while ago i had the problem that all my backgrouds seemed darker on other peoples computers, its kinda off topic but this is where psp came in handy. A lot of art programs have the option to edit light colour gama ect this is somthing that paint misses it can be very handy. Also on psp you can edit poppeted colours which paint lacks.

to your question, i find it handy to take a print screen ( the button on your keyboard that says prt sc) of a game that i really like and compare the colours of buildings ect. i use block colours for the main buildings then out line them in a darker version of the colour.

If your still stuck here's a wise word some AGS'er said to me once 'try searching images google for sam and max for some ideas of how to draw that style'. so if your looking for cartooney style try 'sam and max' or 'day of the tentacle' and if you want serious style try 'indiana jones and the fate of atlantis' or 'beneath a steel sky'.

hope this novel  ;D helps a little and keep with AGS.

A Chicken

Snake

@Chicken

I scan my pencil-drawn BG's first (usually I trace them in black ink afterwords). I open them up in PSP7, (which I downloaded the trial at Jasc's site, but did the bad thing and downloaded a crack :P Suck my meat!1!) darken the pencil, resize accordingly (for 320/240, etc...). From there I color them in MSpaint and do touch ups such as burring and frigging with different color tones and balancing using PSP7.

For an example, visit the link in my sig and look at the screenshot. Some of you may think it's crap, but I'm very proud with how it came out.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

agsking

Heh, don't ask why I revived this old thread.
I just like the topic.
Quote from: WanderLady on Wed 30/07/2003 18:59:12
A question I have about paint - if you don't mind, oversizedchicken - is about choosing colors.

Games like "Apprentice" always seem to have the right....beautiful colors. I know they can be chosen in paint, but how is it done?  Or even in the other programs. Not technically, but artistically.

And if you see this, agsking or gilbot, why is dpaint good? What can it do better?

Dpaint is good because what gil said, and other neat things like gradients (YES, I did say gradients). People say they shouldn't be used often but you really should if you want the classic look of MI or FoY. It also has so many cool hidden features. I love the thing  :'(
:)
Also if you want natural, beautiful colors, just look around you. See what color things are. This by itself helps a lot for me anyway. Look at other games who do it well, experiment.

Anyway, since I found out about the neat features of "the eraser" my life has never been the same. I'm a changed person I tell you.

Esseb

What the heck is right clicking with the rubber supposed to do? Seems to work just like left clicking.

reply to Esseb: if you mean in mspaint, you can choose to replace one color. the top color is the one you remove, and replace it with the color of the eraser.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

plasticman

oops.

QuoteA question I have about paint - if you don't mind, oversizedchicken - is about choosing colors.

Games like "Apprentice" always seem to have the right....beautiful colors. I know they can be chosen in paint, but how is it done? Or even in the other programs. Not technically, but artistically.

open a background that you like (or any other pics) in your program, then select some colors in the image and look at them in the color-palette. pay attention to the HSV values.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk