Constructive things to do in case of depression?

Started by D · Y · D · O, Sat 02/08/2003 01:50:55

Previous topic - Next topic

auhsor

Hmm, well i have been a bit deoressed lately. About three weeks ago, one of my friends committed suicide. I'm finding it increasingly harder to focus on schoolwork these days. Talking to people has been helpful, as well as praying and reading the bible.Also playing the guitar is good. After i heard what happened, and after i had cried, all i wanted to do was play guitar. It helps keep your mind on something else.

DGMacphee

Whenever I get depressed, I go back over my life and think about all the times that made me happy.

Like the time during my parents' divorce.

Although it may seem like a depressing time (and despite all the typical angst through my teenage years, especially against my parents), there were shining moments.

I remember the year I first duxed drama - On speech night, I got an award for my efforts and it still remains one of the happiest moments of my life.

This year, I moved the award (plus another I won the following year) on to my desk, as a special reminder of that time.

You see, it was such a happy moment that night and not just because of the award, but because everyone thought I was going to succeed in maths of computers.

And instead, I surprised everyone -- Even my Dad, and even myself.

My Dad said to me on the night of the award that he was proud of me and surprised that I'd won in drama, instead of maths or computers or some brainy subject.

I think the award also reminds me that people develop in ways they never even consider.

And, at times, you can still surprise yourself.

There are other numerous moments of happiness during this time that I can remember -- most are more personal and I prefer to keep them to myself.

But, I do reveal this about me -- there were times I fell in love with many women, and a lot of the time was rejected (probably due to the fact that I was falling for women a few years older than I was).

But I'm glad I'm the sort of person who can feel such a strong emotion such as love.

And I know that no matter has depressing it may feel to go unnoticed by a lover, the sensation is always so great that it makes you feel more human.

I felt vulnerable so many times, and yet it's my vulnerabilities that makes me stronger.

And you look at the world like an innocent child again.

I don't regret a single moment I dwelled on love at any time in my life.

I've learnt so much, and my self-loathing no longer imprisions me.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Ginny

Quote from: MillsJROSS on Sat 02/08/2003 05:35:18Or, just look at life as one big joke (without a punchline), and laugh at the good and the bad. That's what I do. Something bad happens to me, I laugh my troubles away. I know it seems strange, but why not laugh? It's a form of relief. Same with crying. Sometimes it's good to have a good cry (no matter how unmanly it is).

-MillsJROSS

Laughing it off can indeed help, aswell as looking at everything in a positive manner.

There's a book called the Tao of Pooh (and also The Te of Piglet) which really changed my view on things. The book explains Taoism, a chinese sort of "belief" (not religious), using Winnie-the-Pooh, and vise versa. It really is inspiring and funny, and it helps me overcome difficulties. I only recently found out about it :).

"But the basic Taoism is simply a particular way of appreciating, learning from, and working with whatever happens in everyday life. From the Taoist point of view, the natural result of this harmonious way of living is happiness."

"Within each of us there is an Owl, a Rabbit, an Eeyore, and a Pooh. For too long, we have chosen the way of Owl and Rabbit. Now, like Eeyore, we complain about the results. But that accomplishes nothing. If we are smart, we will choose the way of Pooh. As if from far away, it calls to us with the voice of a child’s mind. It may be hard to hear at times, but it is important just the same, because without it, we will never find our way through the Forest."

There are more excerpts from it here: http://spoerlein.iwarp.com/pooh1.html
:)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Nine Toes

Hmm... depression has been a large part of my life for the last 12 years... and I can relate to the situation with your friend...  a friend of mine shot himself 2 years ago... I remember how badly in denial I was about it... it was like, "he shot himself... okay, he shot himself in the chest or something... so, he's really okay".  But when I went to the wake, as soon as I got to the front door of his parent's house, I just started balling... I still think I see him around (like I'll see someone who LOOKS like him), but then I realize he's not here anymore.

I guess, all I can really tell you is:
1.  It's okay to cry.
2.  Don't ever let somebody talk shit about your dead friend

As for dealing with depression; playing guitar was always my ventilation, I found a band to join... all the screaming helped.  Drawing and writing help too.  Scream therapy helps... wait until you're all alone, and scream obscenities, yell out what's on your mind.  Plus, I know it's a sign of madness, but talking to yourself helps a little too...

But lately, I've been extremely depressed, and none of the things that worked for me work as well anymore... being at a job that I hate doesn't help.  I don't know... I wish the best of luck to you... if you want you can drop me a line through my website, and I can be kind of like a counselor or therapist.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Enos Shenk

Stuff like this on any forum is hard to respind to because everyone has their own ways of dealing with it. I build stuff in 3D, or watch a movie. But its up to you, do whatever makes you happiest or better. I understand that sometimes its hard to find that one thing...

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Whatever you do, do not resort to self harm. That doesn't really help.
Draw, learn something new, make a game, go out with your friends or alone, just keep your mind off whatever it is that made you depressed in the first place.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

TerranRich

There was a point in my life when I was depressed all of the time. I finally realized it was because I was lonely (as in my love life). Once I found a girlfriend, i started to get better. Through the years thereafter, I started treating girls better and better, due to me feeling better and better about myself, realizing I wasn't a bad guy, and now I think I'm okay.

Although now it's hard to tell. I've been kind of depressed lately, and I think it may be because I'm lonely once again. My friend Sarah wants to set me up with one of her dorm-mates, a girl I've met already and thought was nice, but still. Boredom REALLY does not help either. Boredom, for me, seems to bring it out.

So what do I do? I read books I like, draw (both on the computer and on paper), do puzzles, listen to NON-depressing music...

* terranRICH presses the "Next" button on WinAmp and listens to "Clocks" by Coldplay.

That's such an anti-depressing song. It's uplifting and really helps sometimes. :)

So yeah that's about it. I've had to deal with depression often and those things work for me. Don't know if they'll work for you, but hey who knows. :)

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Quote from: terranRICH on Fri 08/08/2003 05:48:15

* terranRICH presses the "Next" button on WinAmp and listens to "Clocks" by Coldplay.

That's such an anti-depressing song. It's uplifting and really helps sometimes. :)

Amen to that.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Ginny

I talk to myself all the time :D.

A very undepressing pure fun song I know (in french):
La bonne franquette. I dunno, I just like it.

Listeneing to sad music can be fun sometimes but when your depressed it feels terrible.
Boredom is ussually the cause for me to get depressed. That's why I ahven't been depressed for a long time now, I've always had what to do (mainly making a game).
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk