guy or gal

Started by jetxl, Wed 06/08/2003 13:25:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Well, I'm not saying people shouldn't post thoughtfully and appropriately, I'm not even saying Evenwolf reacted on something I've never reacted on myself.

The way he reacted on, however, was unnecessarily sarcastic IMO.

Enough about this.

evenwolf

I over-react not to persons, but to actions.  There are so many ways one can use words to express himself or ask of others.  Obviously many points could be brought up such as "men are typically the heros".  Is it that we expect a male hero and frown upon a female hero?  Or is it just that not enough female heros have been presented?

Andail- surely you can understand my frustration.   Imagine being part of a debate and the topic is sex and food..   How do you even know what relationship to focus on? How to use food during sex? If you prefer food over sex?  Finding food sexually stimulating? Finding sex appetizing?

Sure there's a serious debate hiding somewhere- but instead we've turned it into something base simply because time wasn't taken to elaborate.

I'm sure I would have reacted somewhat more calmly if I knew Jet a tad more, or perhaps met him at mittens.  As I would have acted calmly with anyone.  I simply don't have time to research when I find a post very frustrating such as this, after such a time of trying to encourage mindful posts.  

by the by, Darth-  when you give advice to pay no attention what anyone thinks, how is it that you yourself are not encouraging someone else to accept your own beliefs? Uncanny! You defy logic! Here's a trophy!  Hypocrisy we shall call it.

*hmm, I appear to be an ass all of a sudden
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Darth Mandarb

jet - see what I mean?

cheers,
dm

Barcik

I would rather play a female character because I like the protagonist to be different from me. I enjoy playing with a different personality.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Ginny

I think it doesn't matter, and I have no preference.
I would rather play an interesting male than a female without character, and vise versa.

I love Grim Fandango, which has a male character, and I love TLJ, which has a female character. What makes me love these games and they're characters isn't their protagonist's gender, it's the personality.

In the amateur adventure scene, there seem to be very little female protagonists, but that shouldn't be the reason that you make a game with a female character, the reason should be that it fits into the story to have a female. Of course, ussually the protagonist's gender isn't important, so it's all down to personal taste.
I think that I, like Barcik, like playing someone different from myself, which is why I like Manny from GF more than April from TLJ, but then again it could be just better writing of the character.

So each person prefers something else, but any character is good as long as it's well written and interesting. :)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Lazy Dragonrose

Quote from: SSH on Wed 06/08/2003 13:46:17
Be original: make the first adventure game with a hermaphrodite as the main character.

Snail Quest!  Helm wins!

Robert Eric

None of the above.
Ã, Ã, 

rodekill

I don't have a preference. Whatever suits the story.
I'd like to point out however, that there have been no games starring either eunuchs or hermaphrodites.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

rookworm3

I prefer female main characters, but only if they're hot.

and naked.

p.s. I have dibs on "eunuch-quest". More info forthcoming.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Well..
I prefer non-human characters to humans. I made Slime Quest and who the hell knows what sex is slime? I don't really care, as long as the character is realistic and likeable and I can feel for him/her/it.
As you can see in the banner in my signature, I do prefer female characters just a little more than male, but the main character in my RPG is male. The female characters fight and do all the cool stuff too. But overall, I'm neutral on this.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

GarageGothic

Great topic, but unfortunately I only have a few minutes to reply.

I prefer playing female characters - in adventures as well as in any other genre. If you can choose your (or rather, your character's ;)) gender, I always choose female. Usually because I find it easier to relate to females than to the weird macho representations of men in computer games. Maybe that's just my gay side talking.

But I'm not sure there have been any really memorable female player characters in adventure games - April Ryan didn't do much for me, nor did Laura Bow. I hope to create an original female player character myself with Dinah in Shadowplay. She's certainly very different from any classical female stereotype.

Captain Mostly

wow. For a newbie, evenwolf takes his role round here REALLY seriously!

Dmitri

even- calm it dude,

why does a post need to be long to be meaningful?

Look at Dg, he compresses his posts into one liners,

yet they still have meaning, he even made two agsers go away.

All Jet's post HAD to do was introduce the matter to us.

No more... we extrapolate and discuss the rest.

Hostility is not required.
Pretzels :B

Nellie

I like Evenwolf's tough new image.

He used to be all forgiving and tolerant, like in some sappy Robin Williams film.  But now he's like...  like...   The TERMINATOR...  yeah!

* Nellie imagines Even in leather on a Harley Davidson.

Captain Mostly

I heard that EvenWolf beats someone up with a urinal in the new film... is this true?!

Czar

So this refers to Evens first, and i think other posts:

QuoteImagine being part of a debate and the topic is sex and food.. How do you even know what relationship to focus on? How to use food during sex? If you prefer food over sex? Finding food sexually stimulating? Finding sex appetizing?

Well i dont get you getting so over-reactive, while you could be the one who can expand the topic, he gave us multiple choices and thats what could make this a deeper discussion. So i second what Dmitri said.

and btw Nellie, did you see Even candidating for the governor?Vote for him!
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Darth Mandarb

GarageGothic and Femme Fetale make some good points but I think GinnyW (is that Ginny Weasley by chance?) said it best with "but any character is good as long as it's well written and interesting."

evenwolf - if you had read my post thoroughly you would have seen the part that says 'IN MY OPINION'.  It's not hipocritical to give somebody my opinion, nor is it 'encouraging them to accept it'.  Please read carefully.  Thanks.

Let's get back on topic now shall we?

cheers,
dm

Robert Eric

Quote* Nellie imagines Even in leather on a Harley Davidson

:o  I'm not even going to ask.
Ã, Ã, 

evenwolf

darth-

No that doesn't work- because as we know, you and I do not have a pleasant history with eachother.  I feel there is some form of animosity and you tried to take advantage of this contraversial lapse in my reputation  as a means of gaining leverage over me.  You have an opinion about me, perhaps you've suppressed this in the past.  Yet you act like nothing is personal with you, that nothing phases you. But that's not true, the fact that you singled out my original post and  referenced your own "cool" reaction in another thread is the very proof of that.  Your entire participation in this thread is personal, obviously.   So I find what you say and how you act to be hypocritical - disclaimers have little effect in that case.

You could perhaps argue "I don't challenge people immediately when they post such things, but rather I gradually try to discredit that person over time ", however you cannot say 'it simply washes over you'.  That would be inhuman, not to mention in this case - false.

As you can see, I've approached our relationship in a very mature way.  Without sarcasm, just plain old reasoning.  Reason back.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Darth Mandarb

sigh ... to those bored with this off topic posting I apologize.

even -  My statement in that other thread had nothing to do with you.

I thought perhaps you had mis-read what I wrote, so I clarified.

I am not trying to 'gain leverage over you'
I am not 'trying to take advantage of this contraversial lapse in your reputation'
I am not 'trying to discredit you over time'.

I would ask that you extend the same courtesy to me.

I have no animosity towards you.  I can tell that we're two completely different people who have vastly differing views about most things.  To be completely honest, I rather enjoy our 'debates'.  I find them entertaining.  

I appreciate you approaching this 'with maturity, without sarcasm, and just plain old reasoning'.  I guess I just don't see "Uncanny! You defy logic! Here's a trophy! Hypocrisy we shall call it." as any of that.

cheers,
dm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk