guy or gal

Started by jetxl, Wed 06/08/2003 13:25:34

Previous topic - Next topic

evenwolf

That last remark was contrasting one particular post to the previous.

And off topic or not, tis good to get such concerns off my chest. I wasn't going to start a whole thread "Darth, whats the deal?"  But cheers. and all that.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

jetxl

Evenwolf.
You are still posting things that have nothing to do with my question.
If you think my question is not right then you DON'T HAVE to post.
Your logic has more anger then point.
If your mother asks you what you want to eat, do you react like this as well?

Where does all this anger come from? Do you have a lack in social scill? Did you had a lack of air when you were born? Is this question to personal because you have a girly name? I don't know.

Anyway, I'm ready to exept your apologies.

evenwolf

A man should be allowed to vent at times.

As nellie has said, I have defended people before- I have stood for calm and serenity and all that.  So I want to explode and cause a little chaos. Need I fill out an application?

Im not sure about you forcing an apology from me...

if I were to apologize at this point, its for choosing your thread in which to vent. But please do not exagerrate your devotion to this thread as you obviously opened it poorly. I stand by that. Sorry.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Alright, back on topic.  The reason that there isn't much female main characters is because of prejudice by some because they expect a female to be wimpy. The only adventure game I played that had a female main character was uncertainty machine and that game is droolsome. Susan was a bit too stereotypical in the game but the game was great anyway.  Oh, and jetxl, the main character in my rpg has the same face as your avatar.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

plasticman

until further notice, evenwolf becomes my favorite poster.

jetxl

Quote from: EvenWolf on Fri 08/08/2003 16:30:51
Sorry.
I accept your apologie.

About personality.
In LSL7 there was a female-piratelike-maid that was swearing and cursing.
There was a character just like that in sam&max, but he was a male.
The female was funnier because girls are not allowed to swear and all that.
An example of sexe is more important than personality.

femme-Cool, I'm the hero!

Andail_unplugged

hehe, cheers for Evenwolf proving he's as human as the rest of us, well done, mate!

As for gender, both my and Goldmund's upcoming games will feature female main characters, so I hope people don't abhor the idea of having an alter ego of the opposite sex. Whether I have managed to make Sibylla very personal is another question. Let alone feminine...

TheYak

Personally, I would love to see a few more convincing female characters.  However, there have been very few that have been convincing in any way.  Merely because a person is female doesn't necessarily mean that they'll react with cowardice or confusion in any given situation.  

In The Longest Journey, for example, I thought April Ryan was a nicely done character but lacked realism in the following way:

Poor voice acting - Not necessarily acting ability in this case as much as inappropriate responses.  She was overly emotional when the situation didn't call for it and was overly hostile at the slightest provocation.  If she'd been drawn up as an unstable person with a severe personality quirk then it might've made more sense.  (On an unrelated note - I love the Flipster (Not related to Flippy_D whom I despise whenever I remember to  ;))).

On yet another note, I think Evenwolf and Darth should probably debate one another in IM's or IRC.  If it's relevant - fine.  As soon as you guys notice it's gone off topic and becomes a personal (rather than group) discussion, you ought to stop or continue via IMs.  There's really no need for the rest of us to deal with potential hostility.  

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Quote from: jetxl on Fri 08/08/2003 17:06:50
femme-Cool, I'm the hero!
heh, no. Your avatar just matches the face in one of the free resources I used.  :P
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Captain Mostly

I think the reason there are so few female lead characters is because most people who make computer games aren't able to aproach character development in a mature way without sarcasm etc etc. Hence (thanks to the obviously HORRIBLE people like Darth) we get loads of under-developed characters with overdeveloped characteristics (hello Jill of the Jungle!)

Thankfully we have those marvelous conservors of morality like EvenWolf to guard us from naughty imature folk. And from discussing the female role in computer games! Go Thought Police!

Darth Mandarb

Character development is the key ... definately.

You must make sure there is a strong foundation to your character to start the game with.

The character must 'grow' as the game progresses so he/she 'developes' throughout.

I always liked that about (some) RPGs where you start off one way, and by the end you're the same, but better character because you've gained so much experience.  You're stronger, faster, smarter, etc.

You really get attached to characters like this, which, in my opinion, makes for a better game experience.

So I guess we've determined that the sex of the lead character doesn't matter?? ???

cheers,
dm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk