Anger

Started by Femme Stab Mode >:D, Thu 07/08/2003 11:46:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Strange emotion it is. I get REALLY angry sometimes. Now I took up anger management and to avoid yelling and screaming now I just.... bite my wrist. It leaves a bite mark there but at least I don't harm others. I guess it's a bad idea since the mark is visible for a long time after and I don't like it. It's a bad way to deal with anger. Anger management isn't fun like in the movie either. All they do is make you deliberately angry and see what you do and make you fill out forms like "when was the last time I got angry" and " what did I do?" and try to convince you that yelling is a bad idea. Asssholes. I volunteered myself for it too. Now I regret it. So... whatever you do, don't volunteer for anger management. Get someone else to volunteer you (or sue you into it)
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

SSH

Quote from: Femme Fatale on Thu 07/08/2003 11:46:38
I get REALLY angry sometimes.

Why did you feel the need to shout "REALLY"? Let's try and deal with this. Tell me about you relationship with your mother....

Dmitri

anger.

What good does it do?

I get angry too of course.

I get angry that every guy I meet knows everything to do with cars and guns.

I get angry when I'm made to feel stupid.

I wonder how much society has degenerated sometimes. I wonder what kind of God would let man become a sex starved beast of sloth and lust and anger.

Then I wonder who I am to use God as a scapegoat.

I believe I have beaten my anger, by wondering how wonderous the world is.

Just think of the colour green, look at it, turn it over in your mind. Wonder how glorious civilization is, what kind of people our parents were. How ideallistic were they as teenagers? Watch a bird, tweet and twitter, fluff it's chest in a macho display of masculinity.

When I think of that I wonder how I could be angry at god, my sight, my hearing, my life.

I become content.
Pretzels :B

Esseb

I know nothing about cars or guns. Then again, certain people have questioned my gender in a non-flattering tone.

Anger Management, sounds like fun. What methods do they use to get you upset?

The sweet game.
Basicaly, it's a game where you roll dice for lollies and it's deliberately made unfair. And they make you feel stupid.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Punch

I used to get really angry on occassions. I have/had hyperactivity (or ADD, depends on what you want to call it) but I've got it pretty much under control. I tend to get loud if I'm excited though. But that's beside the point. Anyway, I used to kind of go into a 'blind rage' thing where I didn't really know what I was doing, I just attacked people. My brother helped a lot by just pinning me and letting it ride (I hated him for it at the time, but I'm pretty grateful now). Kind of like Hulk, except no strength or accuracy.

I'm pretty even tempered now. I haven't really been angry for a long time. And if I have a really crap day I just load up Time Crisis 2 and shoot people. Video games rock. Just getting in my car and driving helps too. Also praying, although I fully appreciate that that's not really going to work for most people. I used to just beat the crap out of random stuffed toys when I was in primary school because that was what worked for me then. Basically, just find a way to relax and release anger without affecting anyone else.

- Punch

Once in blind rage I beaten a guy 4/3 my size and twice my strenght to pulp. That's why I took anger management, BTW. Scary shit. :(
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Darth Mandarb

I'm an incredibly tolerant and patient person.

When somebody makes a completely ignorant statement, trying to make me seem like I said something hipocritical when I didn't, I just let it wash over me.

I always try to think things through when anger bubbles up.

I try to think, "What good would losing my temper be at this point?" -or- "Will it really accomplish anything other than temporarily making me feel good?"

Anger management courses are shit.  It's just somebody's idea of how to lure people into spending money.

The best anger management is your own brain.

cheers,
dm

Raggit

Quote from: Femme Fatale on Thu 07/08/2003 14:30:53
Once in blind rage I beaten a guy 4/3 my size and twice my strenght to pulp. That's why I took anger management, BTW. Scary shit. :(

And it's probably a good thing you started those classes!
I don't know what he did to you, but enless he was assualting you, it didn't deserve a physical approach.

I'm not a physcologist but I think after awhile if left uncontrolled the thirst for instant justification and revenge as well as the the release of anger can become un quenchable and uncontrollable. One day you might be pushing somebody around who makes you mad, the next day you might beat them up, and after that you'll might even assualt them with a blunt object, or even kill them.

It's scary to think about.  I know, becuase I have anger problems sometimes.  I've never beaten anybody up, but there have been times I really wanted to! I suggest you do what punch said.  Go play a computer or video game.  Believe it or not, I find SimCity 4 to be quite a good release for anger! I just load up a city and release countless disasters on it! It really makes you feel satisfied! And the nice thing is, you can restore it! In real life you cannot restore somebody you destroyed.

Also, music can be relaxing.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Hobbes

However, I would place some doubts on the "biting myself" stuff. Auto-mutilation doesn't sound like a healthy form of "management".

Sure it's a good therapy?

I do them for free trough my school. The school has to provide anger management for all who require it. I am much calmer now, I guess it's because I am reasoning with myself and not because of the classes, which involve endless writting and boring discussions. I guess I just prevent myself from getting angry because I reallyreally don't want to be angry.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Renal Shutdown

Hey

Anger..  yea, I used to have my hulk moments.  Usually, verbal hulk moments.  It's my own fault, I'd bottle up all the anger I had for a couple of months.  Then, kinda like "the straw that broke the camel's back", someone would say or do something that I didn't like..  and El Whammo, I'd explode at them, usually ended in a hour or two rant, with me picking the most malicious comments I could think of to purposely hurt the said explodee.  Often it was my dad..  once it was my band's drummer (who had pretty much been the *whole* cause of that particular rant, who I now have no communication with).  Once it was one of my best friends, my guitarist.  I didn't feel at all happy about that.

After that day, I started researching Buddhism.  It was more of a coincidence, actually, as it was next on my list of religions to learn about.  Anyhow, I started researching and learnt about the whole meditation side of it (Zen, pre-reformation, non-koans.. not Theravoda or Bhoddivista..  [sp]).  I took up the meditation, and I haven't really exploded at anyone since.  I'd tried meditating a few years before, but it never really worked for me.  I'm still not a Buddhist, but I'm leaning more towards each research period.

I'm not staying convert to any religion, but I am suggesting to start thinking about the "big picture", and how getting cheesed off at something really proves to be or no use at all.  If someone insults you, think "Eff it, who cares?"..  If something ticks you off, think "Sh*t Happens", and move on.  There's really no point getting miffed, as your time would be better spent doing other things.

Hugs
Iqu

Also, apathy helps.
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

Jimi

I can't help bottling my anger up. I normally take it out on something in my room though. which normaly gets rid of it. But really, iqu's right. Theres no actual use of being angry.

earlwood

: \ I ususally flick them off..behind the back...it doesn't help much..just makes me angry that there is no physical satisfaction...I suggest getting a sword and knocking the crap out of shrubs,weeds,and my personal favorite,Cactus!

Flippy_D

Of course, controlling anger is hard to do. However, I don't really have much problem now - I was bullied a whole lot when I was younger, and I've got some considerable self control over it. Not total, because I'm not sure that's possible when you're a teenager  ::), but I can stand most things that are thrown at me.

evenwolf

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 07/08/2003 14:51:44When somebody makes a completely ignorant statement, trying to make me seem like I said something hipocritical when I didn't, I just let it wash over me.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Evil

Anyone know where I can get the rules to this "Sweet Game"... I see a family night comming up :D

Pumaman

Quote from: Esseb on Thu 07/08/2003 12:24:48
I know nothing about cars

They let you drive places. Having one makes you cool.

Quoteor guns.

They let you shoot stuff. Having one makes you cool.

QuoteTheres no actual use of being angry.

Indeed - but anger is a natural human emotion. It's normal to get angry from time to time, but obviously the extent of the anger and how you release it is important to control.

Pessi

I was also going to suggest meditating. It's a great way of attaining more calm mind.

Basically, it's true that anger is of no use. In fact, it practically always makes things worse. However, contrary to what it would seem - it is very essential.

Anger is a way to deal with the problem you're having. If you don't deal with it (if you don't get angry, for example), the stress condition won't be able to wear off. So, if you control your anger to the point that you choose to ignore the whole situation and just walk away in angry state of mind, you need to let it out somehow afterwards. Perhaps by meditation - thinking about why you got mad and if there really was any need to, how you got through it and become content with the situation. In other words, so that the whole situation doesn't make you angry at all, that you see it was totally useless for you to get angry in the first place. If you don't deal with it, you won't be able to get through it. Well, time heals wounds, but it will take quite a while and that kind of conflicts might pile up in longer period of time.

That is why I have started meditating. In army I was put up with enough anger to get someone into hospital in the most optimistic case. But luckily, I was able to control myself always without harming anyone, or even showing my anger. But as I didn't get to express my feelings or let the steam out in any way, the stressful situation stayed. And over time stress causes physical symptoms.

So, the moral of the story: remain calm, don't hurt anyone, but nonetheless: deal with the situation! In one way or other.

Scavenger

Hmm... I don't really get angry. Only viciously malevolent. I snap at people, make nasty comments, growl, and on occasions, roar (I regret it every time I do this). But I can't keep this up. I cry about five minutes after the malevolence kicks in. I hate both feelings, the 'I hate you all, and would kill you if you take one more step towards me', and the 'no, its my fault. Kill me now! Please.. stop the pain...' really don't suit me. Amazingly, its school that makes me crazy, and as its the summer holidays (yaaaaaay) I'm not getting emotional. But, I find the best way to combat that is to think of as many various ways of inflicting major harm to the guilty, then smile evilly as you walk off, having an imaginary anvil fall on the offender's head. Mwahahahahahahahaha! o_O I'm sorry... I just hate schoolkids :)

Ginny

Lol dragon!
Iqu, have you heard of Taoism? I don't know what Buddhism consits of exactly, but Taoism is what helps me not to flip out and throw my shoes at the wall when the PC crashes (which it does oh so very often).

I absolutely agree, anger doesn't help at all, but it's a natural human emotion as CJ said.

Also, when I'm angry is practically the only time I play action games, because it lets out the anger when I shoot that monster (though I much prefer physical combat, i.e. punching etc. I enjoyed the Matrix because o this (a friend got it for free when he connected to a certain internet company).
Meditation is good too, as is laughter. Reading or watching or hearing something funny is releiving, and not just for anger, for tension too. (I remember it was mentioned in a different thread, though I don't remember quite which).

Anger management sounds ok, but I don't think mking you angry would really help you to deal with anger. Esspeccially if you bottle it up.
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Dmitri

Buddhism is about the key to releasing suffering.

It teaches about the impermanece of life, that everything is meaningless and anger is fruitless.
Pretzels :B

Meditation IS the key to calmness. I remember I used to meditate during the cadet annual exersise and I was calmer than ever. Dunno why I stopped though.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Nacho

Anger is a natural emotion... and all that stuff has been carefully produced by millions of years of evolution for some reason.

Like the fear, that emotions could seem useful in our nowadays life style, but they work. Imagine a person who does not feel fear. He would be exposed to constant dangers because of his lack of fear. He would cross the road without looking to the sides, he would swimm in brave waters without care... he would finally die.

Imagine a preson without anger. This is not Peter Pan´s world... people would reallise it, and would take benefit of that person´s disavantage. He would loose his place in all the queues because he would kindly offer his place to the other people, he would wait days and days till the tecnician came to fix his air conditioning, which could kill him in that hot summer of the north hemisphere. He wouldn´t be able to fight!

And fighting is many times necessary. I don´t know if you know who is Lance Armstrong. He is a cyclist, the person who I admire most.

He suffered a cancer. He had 10 tumours in his lungs and 2 in his brain. His possibilities to survive were expected in 3%. He defeated the didease. And he has won 5 Tour of France (at the moment) focusing his anger in an only aim, being the best in the world.

He has won the Tour this year after falling of the bike in the last climb of the race, when the second in the general classment was very close to him, at 15 seconds, leading the stage. 10 kms after he won the stage with 55 seconds of advantage.

I want to focus the anger so good as he does.

Natural emotions are bad if taken to their highest expressions. Phobias are bad. Rage is bad. Fear and anger are good.

IMO...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk