I just ordered my new computer.

I don't care much for details, but the general prestanda is

processor: 2 ghz
hard drive: 80gb
memory: 512 mb
graphic: Sparkle FX5200

and then miscellanous minor items

and a 17 inch Samtron monitor (flat)

Total: 9300 sek, which is around 1000 euros, of which the flat monitor makes a good portion, of course.
I think it's pretty cheap, after all.

Since you're all computer guys with great contacts, I suppose you'd concider this mediocre. But still, was it worth it?

Matt Brown

is it amd or intel? the processor
whats the Operating system? ( I assume a 2 gig machine is running XP...but just wondering)
and finally, not to sound like the insensitive american clod, but is the conversion rate of dollars to euros about 1 euro=1.5 dollars?
I think you got a pretty good deal. a machine like that would run about 1500 US dollars...which I think is close to what you paid.

word up

Minimi

It depends on what you use it for! I can get a 2.8mhz for only 800 euro, but I dont need it. I have a AMD1200mhz without 3dcard (my friends call me crazy for that!), and I don't play much 3D advanced games, and im happy with this. 2mhz is really enough for at least 2 years! I'm doing 4 years with same pc though... but ok.... so i find 1000 a good price for me... but its very personal ;)

mitar at work

I can't judge that because I made my own computer, so basically I didn't have to pay jackshit! ;D But seriously, I think you got a good deal.

mitar at work

A word of advice, don't try to act or think that you're a smartass ,Im a good example of this, by overclocking your PC, it only leads to MONEY PROBLEMS.

Squinky

Yes Andail, listen to Mitar and dont try and act like a smartass m'kay?

Anyway, sounds about right. And I wish that my money was called sek....

Czar

WEll, how much MB does your gfx card have? I supose 128.Samtron?well i guess thats ok.Those 2ghz are a bit suspicious, cause, p5 is already in design with new speed,which will be ready for fall/autumn, but i think amd is also doing his response, so i say that will hold  1 year the most for the newer games....

Well all in all for 1000 euros, i say thats a pretty good deal, tho i would rather know more of those details because i think that is what makes the price...
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Matt Brown

actually, minimi makes a good point. it really depends on what you are planning on using it for. if this is just for word processing, email, and AGS, then you prob. bought too good of a computer...as something with specs half as good and half the price would do the same for you. on the other hand, if this is for artwork, higher programming, or other high-demand uses, then it looks like you did okay.

Also, although this is a bit offtopic, I feel compelled to say something to ol' Mitar here

1)when one makes their own computer, as I have in the past, it isnt for free. one still has to purchece parts, as ones you get for free are usually so porr quality, it isnt worth building the machine. I find it highly unlikely that some kindly old man just gives you a 60 mg harddrive for your new computer. unless of course, you are still mooching off of your parents, which is differnet I suppose

2) actually, overclocking isnt always a bad thing. we do it at work a lot, to concerve school district funds. As long as you dont get greedy in your added voltage, (never increase your clock speed by more then 10% of the advertised speed is a good rule) and by adding other fans, you can very often get away with increased speed at no extra cost to you. You might just have done it wrong

however, somehow, I get the feeling that Andail wasnt planning on doing these sorts of things.

hope you enjoy your new computer!
word up

AGA

Although the price is a bit steep for a new machine of that speed (I got my 2GHz P4 for less over a year ago...) it seems an adequate enough PC all-round. The GeForce 5200 is more than good enough for the current generation of games, and you should be able to play anything released in the next year to come or so too...

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

5200? Latest games? Not a chance. But unless you really want to play Half Life 2 when it comes out, that machine is fine, and for about £600 it's definitely fine, as long as that includes tax and all.

AGA

Archangel: it will, I have one. You can play any currently available game at top resolution and colour depth and quality without a problem.

Darth Mandarb

My brother, the  computer whiz, put together a system for me.

AMD 2.3 ghz
512 meg of RAM
120 GB Hard Drive
CD-RW/DVD combo drive
3D card with 128 meg RAM (not sure which one exactly)
Case w/ 400 watt PS
floppy drive (just in case)
Sound Card (again not sure which type)
- basically everything needed.

All that was for 780 USD which is about 690 Euros.  This was put together by him, meaning all the parts were bought seperately and then put together.  So I would say, for what you got, that's not too bad a price.  Plus I'm sure you got a warranty on it too.

cheers,
dm

mitar (lazy at home)

My computer dosn't suck, El Panda. I got the good parts the clearance sales. I'm sorry for the way I phrased that. It wasn't FREE. It just wasn't above $300, which I don't consider alot. And I just got a cheap ATI Radeon 9600 Pro thank you very much. ;D

Evil

All depends. My dad got a great flat screen for $1000 (I think it is like 400 euros. I am right? 1 1/2 times euros equals dollars?) So that leaves $1500 for your pc. 80 gigs is a lot of space and does cost much. In my view, I think you could have got it a bit cheeper, but still great all around.

LGM

Get another 512 RAM stick, you'll be set for at least 3 years. (Might wanna upgrade the gfx card in 2 or so.)

But yeah, good deal.. 600 Euro is roughly the same as 600 American. Bought a pennies difference, really.
You. Me. Denny's.

Evil

I could have sworn it was times 1 1/2... hmmm... PBS doesnt teach me shit...

Minimi

When will that day come that we ever stop bout wining like..... J HAVe THIS GREAT PC, and I HAVE VOODOO28! ... remember... its not all about quality, but about quantity. I know this boy that gets a new pc from his dad, and all he does and all he knows is how to play games,games,games,games. I even have to help him with Google. I Tell you this guy sucks, and his pc evenmore, because at such an good computer, is only full with messy pcgames. This guy is really really lame (no its not me :P ) for the smartones around ;)

Am I too suffisticated here?

AGA

Well 75 bucks' difference, LGM.

Ghormak

From my point of view it is a very good buy, but then again electronics are ridicolously overpriced here. I bought a similar setup for 1500 euros.
Achtung Franz! The comic

Andail

Quote from: Evil on Fri 08/08/2003 04:44:11
All depends. My dad got a great flat screen for $1000 (I think it is like 400 euros. I am right? 1 1/2 times euros equals dollars?) So that leaves $1500 for your pc. 80 gigs is a lot of space and does cost much. In my view, I think you could have got it a bit cheeper, but still great all around.

Hm, let's clear up some maths here

your dad's screen = $ 1000 = â,¬ 850 (roughly)
this leaves around $ 150 for my PC

My PC cost around 1150 $ in total, or 1000 â,¬, or 9500 sek.
all clear? :)

Thanks btw for your reflections on this purchase. What I was mainly after was a flat screen (as it is now, I get ill from sitting in front of an ordinary screen for too long) - and prestanda enough to show movies. I hope this will suffice.

Ghormak

Quoteas it is now, I get ill from sitting in front of an ordinary screen for too long

Make sure you get a screen that is capable of refresh rates of 85Hz or more. Some (most?) monitors default at 60Hz. If I try to go back to 60Hz after using 85Hz for some time now, I get sore eyes very quickly.
Achtung Franz! The comic

auhsor

Yeah... how good is my computer...
PIII 450
198 megs ram
Forgotten what video card...
CD burner (4X max if i'm lucky)
And everything else is just as bad

Basically about 8 years old... I wish i had some money, so i could get me a new one...

At least AGS runs fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk