I have been plaguing you for a year.

Started by Flippy_D, Fri 08/08/2003 12:14:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Flippy_D

Yes, this marks one entire year spent in your company. So looking back, what's happened to me over the last 12 months?

Disclaimer: May not be entirely historically accurate.

8/8/2002: I join. A few weeks later I start a rather silly thread called 'The Simpsons: Bring it on'. They bought it on. After a rather heated argument with DGMacPhee fuelled by a misunderstanding, I resolve not to challenge the entirety of the forum again.

I wander around the forum for a couple of weeks more, sticking mainly to the Critic's lounge, gen gen and AGStalk boards, blissfully unaware that I'm probably pissing quite a few people off by posting inordinate amounts.

Sometime in early October: The first ideas for Tourist Trap start to grow. Cue newbish excitment, ignorance of the task and overenthusiasm. It would still make a good game, but until I can produce one very nice background a day, it's a long way off, folks.

Early November: Abandon all hope of ever making an AGS game. Wallow in self-pity. Start to take interest in sprite jam.

Mid-November: Enter sprite jam for the first time with a pitiful motor-driven blue cup. Lose, probably heavily. Undeterred, I keep entering, and make a regular habit of it. Start to link pictures with anonymizer alot.

Early December: First ideas for DROID start to materialise. Ambitiously forcast January 2003 as release date. Proceed with not doing much at all until Febuary. Achieve brief status as the creator of an in-joke (ERGO).

January: Nothing much happens.

February: First room for DROID finally done. Characters are already complete. Try to script, fail miserably, give up for a while.

March, April, May: Nothing much happens. At all. Really. Although I might have won my first sprite jam with my red hot chilli pepper. I also think I discovered #ags sometime during these months. Within 30 minutes of joining I am devoiced and banned from roger. Ho hum. I don't think Annie likes/d me.

June: I think it was somewhere around this time that I was recruited onto the Roger Foodbelly team as 'puzzle designer and proofreader'. I get to see the intro movies.

July: Start composing on a regular basis. Results gradually improve. Or so I'm told. Am promoted to joint project leader for Roger Foodbelly.

August: Realise I've now wasted an entire year with AGS and not had much to show for it. Start working on DROID in earnest. Current status: 32% done.

This may not be a particularly productive post in the grand scheme of things, but I thought it worth displaying. Anyone got champagne?

SSH

You forgot that on 22 May, the invention of your eponymous phrase by DYDO:

"Flip a D"

referring to adding the anonymiser stuff to an [ img ] : the service which you have so admirably performed so many times.

D · Y · D · O

Wow, I didn't think anybody would remember. That about sums up my AGS achievements over the past year. And Flippy didn't even like it...

Hey, Flippy, if you have 32% done, that's not even so bad. I mean, you there a THIRD of the way. Keep it up!
We are number one! All others are number two, or lower. - The Sphinx
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever. - Shane Falco
Instagame (FREE resources for your games!)

Evil

Heh, I remeber when flippy joined. :) It doesnt seem like he has been here for just a year. You better stay Flippy or no one will learn the way of the anonymizer. :P

Pet Terry

Hehe, I remember too when Flippy started to post... a lot :P I joined the new forums too about a year ago. Made 2 games in that time... and started a couple more... done lots of art for custard, team challenge.. done lots of music... pretty cool :)

EDIT: Okay, yesterday was a year from the day I registered :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

scotch

I've been here nearly a year.. what have I done?
Day 1, ask if ags will ever support 3d characters (still waiting :P)
Day 2 onwards, do art for other people's games.

It's been fun.

DragonRose

Congrats, Flip. I think you've been a heck of a lot more productive in your one year, than I've been in 1.5

January 2002: After being completely ignored as the artist for a QFG fangame that never got off the ground, quietly joined the ez-board forum with the long and convoluted name "Roseofthedragon."  Posted in some threads about girls as either characters or as game makers.

July 2002, switched over to the Yabb forum, changed my name to Dragonrose.  Made a joke that got Pessi mad at me (I don't think he even remembers), got really embarrassed and left the forum for several months.  No one noticed.

Eventually, came back, released a game called Wanderer that sucked big time. Petaglair said it sucked, people got mad at him, and I had to explain that IT REALLY DID SUCK, and I'd even e-mailed him saying that it sucked.

February 2003: officially started working on Candace Grace.  Only have three puzzles programmed so far.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

LGM

You stole my Roger Foodbelly job :(

Bastard

:-p You've been very productive, I would say.
You. Me. Denny's.

Czar

Well you have a great portfolio Flippy :)
Congrats on your promotionm i didnt know you got one...
Well, I dont know for how long have i been here (not only yabb), but i know i still didnt move too much from when i registered.

edit: I dont know why, but now when i tried to read your topic, i read I have been playing my guitar for a year ???
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

MrColossal

"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Flippy_D

Yeeesssss..... can't imagine why.

Seriously though, that was probably the dumbest thing I ever did. That's why I didn't edit it, because others apart from you can learn from your mistakes.

Also, I must admire your diligence in finding something with quite such poignancy. It really means a lot to me that you went out of your way to find that link and post in it what is essentially a nice, unprovocative post. Thank you so much.

DGMacphee

What was the heated argument about?

Was it about the new episodes being crap, or something else?
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Flippy_D

It was about your usage of "I OWNZ j00!". I'd just come from a place where people took that seriously, so I didn't realise you were joking.

DGMacphee

Sounds familiar.

Oh well.

1 571LL O\/\/nZ j00!!1! ROTFMODLOL!!!!!!11!
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Flippy_D

veryweirdguy

Here are a few who joined around the same time as Flippy (within a month or two):

Flippy_D: Date Registered:  08 Aug 2002, 19:08
Petteri: Date Registered:  07 Aug 2002, 09:01
Archangel: Date Registered:  14 Sep 2002, 17:19
Vel: Date Registered:  29 Aug 2002, 08:34
Shattered Sponge: Date Registered: 22 Oct 2002, 14:28
Czar: Date Registered:  25 Aug 2002, 23:20
Rincewind: Date Registered:  30 Aug 2002, 18:34
veryweirdguy (that's me!): Date Registered:  04 Sep 2002, 18:22
Scotch: Date Registered:  11 Sep 2002, 23:51
Deltamatrix: Date Registered:  14 Sep 2002, 00:35
fidodido: Date Registered:  16 Sep 2002, 01:06
juncmodule: Date Registered:  21 Sep 2002, 01:32
Barcik: Date Registered:  29 Sep 2002, 13:23
Trapezoid: Date Registered:  01 Oct 2002, 04:28

We have all been plaguing you for a year!

* veryweirdguy disappears off into nostalgia...
(Of course there were others who had only made like three posts, but all those here have made over 100 posts and have posted in the last month)

Flippy_D

That's very thorough work, vwg ^_^

Gosh, I thought quite a few on this list were here way longer than me.

Shattered Sponge

AHA!  Your list is quite, quite flawed; I (and I think one or two other people on that list) as I was on ezboard for quite some time before we switched to yabb - that date was just when I decided to follow everyone else here.

SO THERE!

Trapezoid

Yeah, I was on the ezboard for a while too. I happened to be taking a break from AGS when it switched to agsforums-- so I showed up later than all the other ezboarders. I think I've been around for closer to 2 years.

Pumaman

Yeah, it says "Transferred from ezboard" in the profile for people who joined within the first two weeks of this forum opening - so it's not entirely accurate :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk