Strange....

Started by Femme Stab Mode >:D, Sat 09/08/2003 07:47:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Femme Stab Mode >:D

As children everybody has dreams about what they want to  become in the future. At a point I wanted to be a biologist, a genetisist and a psychologist and I only remember those. Now I want to be a chopper pilot. today my father asked me - do you remember when you were 7 you wanted to make computer games?   :o I didn't remember at first but then it struck me. Yes, it was one of my ambitions and I realised it without even knowing it.Thanks AGS! Feels great, now I have two childhood dreams acomplished - I've seen the ocean and made a computer game. Now I only have to learn the proper ninjitsu and write a book and I will be complete.Oh, and I have to become an evil villiain and live in a big dark castle  too.  ;D
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Nacho

Femme "I-post-that-all-happens-in-my-mind" Fatale.  ;D

It´s been a pleasure to help you.

-Chris Jones.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

oh shut up. I was just tryong to get a discussion going. i want to know what everybody here wanted to be. >:(
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Nacho

Oh! Ok... I wanted to be a fireman.

P.S. And please, respect my stupiditai! When I want people to tell me what they wanted to be when they were children, I post: What did you want to be when you were children?

I´m sure that that "Strange" topic makes fairly clear for all the AGSers that you´re talking about the desires you had during your infance, but I´m too dumb for noticing that.

Please, Sorry me, Shasa... Or Femme... Or Redcup... Or... Whatever.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Sluggo

I wanted to be an Archaeologist, Egyptologist, Anthropologist, and/or expert on African religion. All the subjects still interest me, but I doubt I'll actually accomplish anything in those fields.

BOYD1981

when i was a kid i wanted to be older, now that i'm older i want to be a kid again...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Ginny

Lol, BOYD.

Well, being still a kid I can say what I want to be: I want to program, and games more specifically but just be a programmer. I think I've almost always wanted this.
Except than there was a time long ago I wanted to be an Anthropologist. Hehe, because I was interested in Dinosaurs. I still am, but I don't think I'll be an anthropoligs hehe.
Every now and then when watching National Geographic, I feel a longing to be a bilogist, because I really love animals. Being a vet was excluded since I wouldn't be able to take it when a dog or cat or other pet died. Not to mention being a doctor of anything isn't really my thing.
My friend wants to be a doctor though. Another friend wants to an accountant, and another could be a model but I don't think she wants to.
The one who wants to be a doctor had an actual dream once (that is, in her sleep) where all of us meet together in a sort of reunion thing, and she's a doctor, another is a lawyer, one a model and I'm an executive running a company which distributes Harry Potter books :P. I was a big HP fan then. I still am, but not in the same way, I don't reread all the books all the time anymore :D.

Anyway running my own adventure makin company in which I design and also program is my dream now. I better decide soon though, if I want to consider being a biologist, hehe...

God topic, I like talking about these things. ;)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Barcik

I am quite like GinnyW. I from a young age wanted to become a programmer, and I still do. It it probably due to the fact that both of my parents are programmers.

Ginny, we really should open up and Israeli company, right after the army.  :D
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Jimi

I used to just want to make things. Anything. I used to get cardboard boxes, and cut them up, sellotape them together to make buildings and stuff. I think I tried to make one too realistic and it fel apart. But since I just like making things, it's great using ags.

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Hmm, let's see... in the order they occured to me I think I've wanted to be:

A military pilot
A surgeon or doctor
A programmer
A composer

And that's where I am at the moment. It seems my aspirations have got less and less glamourous as my life has gone on  :-X although I only just realised that as I was writing them down.

Al_Ninio

Well, I have also always wanted to be a games programmer.
But another thing that I have always, always, ALWAYS wanted is to be either a comic artist or professional animator.

Whoa.
I want to be too many things...

Andail

Archeologist, between the age of 5-9 or so

Dunno why, I've never been interested in history or antropology or similar, I just fancied the idea of digging up things that have been burried for a long time

From that age, I haven't had any new ideas regarding my future profession.

OMG.
I wanted to be an archeologist for a few years. I had a friend with the same hobby. We would make models out of wire for hours. He was a wimp. >:|
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Trapezoid

I remember that when I was young I wanted to be a comedian. I guess I've managed it, although not in a stand-up way, because now I'm practicing several different forms of art, and quite commonly for comedic purposes.
I never thought I'd be a musician when I was younger, though. I started making music for my games several years ago, and I was proud of what I did, but didn't consider it ever being part of my career. Now songwriting is probably my most developed talent... But I'm still not sure whether I'd want to make a career out of it.

rookworm3

Composer less glamourous than Programmer? Surely you kid.
I have wanted to be a composer since age 12. Although from ages 16-19 I wanted to be a mathematician. Now I don't know anymore.

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Depends on what type of composer, and what type of programmer ^_^

Ben

I wanted to be an archaeologist too. I think kids just like digging in the dirt.

I also wanted to make computer games. And star in a sitcom. And be a comedian. And a rock star (Not a real one. more like Uncle Jesse on Full House). And a cartoonist. And a baseball player. And a hotel manager. In fact, I had a plan that I'd somehow do all of these things at the exact same time. I've had to rethink a few things since then..

EDIT: I wanted to be an inventor too. Fuzz reminded me.. Er, I mean will remind me. I had an idea that I'd build cars, but since I didn't know how cars worked I decided that they'd be powered by the driver's feet (like Fred Flinstone's car), and since I didn't know where metal came from I thought the whole thing should be made of wood.

Fuzzpilz

I'm trying to be a composer and a programmer. Both are "glamorous", as far as that word applies, and in much the same way.

As for childhood ambitions apart from these, I used to want to become an "inventor" (you know, the kind who builds time machines and so on) for quite a while, as well as a palaeontologist (which, as every child knows, means "somebody who discovers DINOSAURS!") or possibly an astronaut of some sort. The usual nonsense, pretty much.

Minimi

Ok, when i was about 7 years i wanted to be evangelist, as a christian, though when i was 11 years, i wanted to be a lawyer, and from my 12th year untill now, im 16 now... I want to be a teacher for children between 9 and 12 years... and im going to start studying for that next month ;) So teacher HERE! ;)

Ghormak

Quote(which, as every child knows, means "somebody who discovers DINOSAURS!")

Haha, I was so obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid. I used to draw them all the time, I knew everything about them and I knew how to spell Archaeopteryx and Pteranodon at the age of five. All I wanted to do was to become a "scientist", which I thought was the word for "somebody who discovers dinosaurs".

Now, I don't know. My computer science studies begin in less than a month, and then we'll see...
Achtung Franz! The comic

scotch

Not sure what I wanted to be.. perhaps a programmer or mathematician or an inventor but I really lost interest in school once I was 13 so that's not something I'm educated enough to do.
Now I'd like to do something arty preferably, well not art art.. but making pretty images ;)  Animation is nice, game art would be a dream job suppose, I'd love to work at that, pushing the limits of technology and bringing some beauty into games which is rarely there at the moment. (I really wish I had a state of the art 3d adventure game engine to play with :))

squinks

I always wanted to draw comics...Always...

Thats all I ever wanted to do, and it's a dream that will never be realized.

Life is a bastard...

Evil

Aeronautical Engineer... I always wanted to be one, still do...
*Edit: Aeronautical Engineers are people who build spacecraft like rockets. I forgot I was surrounded by idiots :P

Darth Mandarb

I wanted to be a cartoonist up until about the 7th or 8th grade.  Then I realized I wanted to do special effects for movies.  I figured it would be a great job.  Millions would see my work, yet nobody would know who I was and I could retain my private life.

My job now sort of fits that mold.  Thousands see my work and don't know who I am.

But now that I'm all growns up I'd like to be ... a Pet Psychic.

cheers,
dm

Pumaman

I always wanted to be a comedian, until I realised I wasn't funny.

Then I always wanted to be a hard-ass New York cop, until I realised I wasn't hard.

Then I always wanted to be a pirate, until I realised I couldn't even say "Yarrr" correctly.

Now, I just want to be a tree.

Rincewind

Hehe, it's fun to look back at your dreams and goals that you had as a kid. When I was really small I wanted either to be a fireman or a car mecanic (So that I could fix my parents cars for free, of course...) but I still don't know why... I suppose that's the usual childhood-dream-cliché...

Later on, when I started 5th or 6th grade, the thought of being a writer first entered my head... I wrote stories in school, at home, I made whole galleries with villians for the "novels" I wrote, and I also did several very witty parodies of popular movies and tv-shows, which probably entertained no-one but myself...  My hero was Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, and a great author, too. I wrote lot's of 007-Fan-fiction, and even though it's really badly done, I can look back on it and laugh to myself...

Later on, I got introduced to authors like Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams, which changed my whole view at books, and the way I generally wrote things. But, the thought of writing for a living stuck in my head anyway, and even now, some years later, I'm still enjoying it - I'm still hoping for a carreer either as an author or as a journalist. Most probably, I'll end up as the latter...

But there are sometimes when I doubt that as well. I love drawing, (Not only on the computer), so I have also considered doing perhaps illustrations for books or something similar, but as long as I'm a better writer than I am an artist, I suppose I'd have to keep it at a hobby-level... ;)  

Oh well. It's late. I'm tired and nostalgic. I think I'll go and watch Postman Pat.

MrColossal

when i was younger i wanted to be a cartoonist...

HOORAY!

*does a little dance and cries on the inside... school loans...
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

evenwolf

I've wanted to act.  I used to dream of getting all the attention Jim Carrey received.  But now I abhore Tabloids etc, and see such celebs don't have that much freedom. They're just studio whores.

I've wanted to design concepts for video games.
I once  tried to mail a package of drawings and ideas to the makers of Vigilante 8.  I'm glad I emailed them first, so they could tell me not to mail anything in. Oddly enough, V8: Second Offense featured things very similar to some of my ideas.

I used to want to be a cab driver when I was really young.  That didn't last too long, and I think there was no real reason other than to drive.

Now I want to produce movies.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Goldmund

QuoteI've wanted to act. I used to dream of getting all the attention Jim Carrey received. But now I abhore Tabloids etc, and see such celebs don't have that much freedom. They're just studio whores.

Well, that's my line of thinking as well (not that I wanted to be an actor, but something involving fame etc., etc.) - but the question, dear Even, is: don't we abhore Tabloids and all that comes with fame simply because we didn't manage to get it and as we grow older it becomes more and more obvious that we aren't going to be recognised on a street?

evenwolf

Not so much.  I feel if I wanted at this point, I can turn my career in many directions.  I could establish myself as an actor, a writer, a producer, director, or just a techie like I am in special fx.

Don't get me wrong, I would still like to act, but I would not like to be discovered as an actor.  I wouldn't mind breaking into acting after establishing myself as a writer or those other things. Should anyone decide I have talent enough.

This is based on an article I read about Ed Norton, where he was complaining about not having true artistic freedom like an artist.  And seeing that as well on the set of 25th Hour.   Actors have to stick to strict schedules, they have to go on talk shows against their will for the studio, and they can't walk around and enjoy a quiet evening without a disguise.   I'm not saying all actors have it this way, but not all actors have such the glamorous lives we think.

(just to had to respond to goldy)
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

shitar

Sorry if I'm sounding like a d.s.p.f. but I'm sick of looking at the next thing femme says about what she is thinking about in her big brain.

***anyways***
I wanted to be a fireman.
MIRC: #ags #agsfun #hello #agsnude #agscake

TerranRich

Hmm, I seem to agree with you on this one, mitar. Femme ruined 2 other topics, causing them to be locked. If this one gets out of hand, ,it will be #3. ;)

And yeah I've always wanted to work with computers since I first heard of them when I was like 6. Then, last year, I realized way too late it wasn't for me and am now stuck. I don't know what I want to do/be. I've been out of college for 2 years now, not even having completed it.

Ben

What's wrong with this topic? I think we had a good siscussion going on here. It's not like that thread she started about fruit..

Matt Brown

when I was little, I used to want to be a cartoonist...then I discovered I can't draw. and Im not funny

so, I wanted to work with computers. Until very recently, I wanted to be a programmer. Then, something turned me off from computers. maybe because I couldnt stand more of the programmers I knew. maybe Its cause I couldnt do that math courses I need to. I dunno

now, I want to be a journalist, or a politcal science major. or possibly a college professor, teaching one of the two. I love to learn, to talk about what I learn, and to solve problems. maybe, I can help the public later in life...I dunno
word up

Unilin

Ever since I was 5 or 6 I've wanted to be a chemist.

I am now about half done my chemistry degree.  Horray for me.
"He is the deadliest man alive and I want him dead."  -- The Boss, Ett Buttert Utter

Nothing in the universe is certain, probably.

DragonRose

When I was ten, I really wanted to be an actress.  I even took three years of acting lessons at a local theatre.  However, that got me laughed at by a bunch of snobs with agents at the "School for the Gifted" (gag!) that I went to.  So I concentrated on other things- writing, mainly.  I even wrote two books and plotted two more, thinking that one day I'd be a published author.  

However, I've recently started to notice that the snobs-with-agents have not really amounted to much. So now I want to be an actress again, and I haven't written any stories except for school in I don't know how long.  Weird how that worked out.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

remixor

When I was really young, I wanted to be a film composer.  That was what I wanted to do for years, until about junior high or so I think.  Then I started getting really into programming and I started making corporate websites to make money, so I wanted to be a programmer when I grew up.  Then the web design business got totally out of hand, and all of a sudden you had to know all these crazy scripting languages, and I just said "screw that."  When I first got into it, HTML and JavaScript was all you ever needed.

I didn't know what I want to do until about college, then when I declared as a music major I decided I wanted to be a film composer again, and after a year and a half or so of thought I've decided I really just want to be in a rock band.  I keep trying to think of other possible careers, and the more I think of, the more I realize I just want to be in a rock band.  The drummer in my current band wants to do the same thing; everybody else in the band is getting real careers.  But hey, we're both dedicated.  If I stop posting here in a few years, it's because I'll be dirt poor and living in a box.  At least I have no financial delusions :P
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Nine Toes

Well, I don't quite remember... but I know I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was in grade school, a comic artist in junior high, and a rock star in high school, and now I'm going for a five year degree in computer programming...

I guess though, I'd have to go with BOYD1981...
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Esseb

In order:

Inventor, Cartoonist, Animation Artist, Computer Programmer.

Inventor, har. I read way too much Carl Barks. I guess I wanted to be Gyro Gearloose(sp).

BOYD1981

i actually want to be a TV/Film Extra, i have numbers and addresses of agents but have never got around to contacting them, i also wouldn't mind a job as a bouncer...

but failing that i wouldn't mind being and inventor, toy designer, ideas person or boxer...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

rodekill

When I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut.
Alas... the teen years brought with them a general disinterest in, well, everything, and so those dreams tanked quickly.
Other than that I wanted to make adventure games. Seriously.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Ginny

Argh, I meant palaeontologist of course. I also wanted to invent something, and I'm pretty interested in movie producing/special effects. But I think programming is what I'll end up as. The most important thing is to be happy, so umm, yeah :P.

Quote from: Barcik on Sat 09/08/2003 14:43:37
I am quite like GinnyW. I from a young age wanted to become a programmer, and I still do. It it probably due to the fact that both of my parents are programmers.

Ginny, we really should open up and Israeli company, right after the army.  :D

My dad was a programmer, so that's probably why I want to be a programmer I guess. I was also raised with a computer always at home, from the blue screen DOS my dad used, then something else, then 3.1 windows and then 95 and 98. Now we have XP ;).

*sigh* nostalgic trip... :P
I don't remember much of my childhood, but better than anything I remember when I was playing at the computer. I hardly remember anything from my first grade, but I remember playing a game where you shoot a cannon when I was 4 or something :P.

I'm getting sentimental now, hehe.

Barcik: Great idea ;).
After the army would mean when I'm about 23 though, hehe, since I want to go to the army after the university. :P

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Jimi

I have a whole load of books on animating, and cartoon animating too. I used to site and draw stuff as wel as make stuff. (Although for the last 4 years I've had a mental block :()

When I was about 6 years old, I was on holiday in Majorca, and the entertainer in our area was a guy called Toni. He was really funny, and he was REALLY scared of wasps, and he always called them wisps. So I drew him as a wasp and called it Toni the Wisp, and when I gave it to him, he stuck it up on the noticeboard of the bar. When I came back 2 years later, the pisture was still there, even though toni had left months before.

Barcik

Quote from: GinnyW on Thu 14/08/2003 17:27:02
After the army would mean when I'm about 23 though, hehe, since I want to go to the army after the university. :P

Actually, that's 26 - 3 years of studying, 2 years a must, and you sign for 3 more years (with proper payroll, unlike the 600 NIS of the 2 years). I know that, because I'm planning to do the same thing.
You are allowed to work during that time though.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

shitar

Actually, when I was small I wanted to be a alcoholic, smoking, Guybrush type of guy.
MIRC: #ags #agsfun #hello #agsnude #agscake

Ginny

Yep, forgot that. I think girls sign for 2 more years though, But 3 will be fine. Programming! :)

Then we can start our greatorz gamez company!1@! hehe
Seriously though, who knows ;).

I wanted to be an astronaut once, and still do a little, but something changed that idea....errr.... guess...

Judging by what happened with Columbia. Did you know that there was a jewish woman on board the Challenger too? Not israeli, but jewish.
We're cursed!
I really enjoyed a sort of "ride" in the "science park" or whatever in the Technion in haifa. It spinned like in space and then I was all confused. Cool! ;) It's meant for demostrating what it's like when you are in a spaceship. It was great fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk