Awesome site ...

Started by Darth Mandarb, Sun 10/08/2003 00:27:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Mandarb

This is a super cool site.  I think this fellow is pretty talented.

The Site:
ArkWorld ASCII Art

My favorite:
The Hunchback of Notre Dame

cheers,
dm

plastic

please, please stop making stupid threads.

Darth Mandarb

Stop responding to my threads if you think they're stupid.

cheers,
dm

Dmitri

indeed the site does rock

very novel

http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=7494;start=0

scummbuddy linked it before in pessi's art thread too (see last post on page)

I think it's done with a program mind you, no-one's that good with ascii

I also saw the Starwars movie done entirely in ascii too, that was sweet
Pretzels :B

Squinky

Stop responding with this whole "Don't respond if you don't like my post thing" Man. Thats ridiculous...You were pulling that with evenwolf and it just irritates the hell out of me...

It dosen't change the fact that it was a dumb post...

-Thanks
Squinky Mcdougal

Darth Mandarb

I saw that Star Wars one too!  It was pretty sweet.  My brother also had one of the Matrix which was freekin' sweet.  I'll see about getting the link and I'll post it in here.

squinky - don't respond either.  It's simple logic.

cheers,
dm

Dmitri

Why are we all picking on Darth Mandarb again?

Squinky

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sun 10/08/2003 01:13:31
squinky - don't respond either.  It's simple logic.

Simple logic is that your an ass.

evenwolf

Here's the right way to approach this Squinky:

Mandarb- when an AGSer posts a thread, that AGSer is offering that thread to the community.  He does not "own" it or have any governmental control over who posts there.  If you think otherwise, I think you'll find fewer people to agree with you than who do with Squinky and I.

Therefore squinky's words are welcome and whoever else, regardless of your topic.  

As for the artwork: yup pretty neato.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Darth Mandarb

Dimitri - I can't seem to find that Matrix link.  I'll keep looking.   That's cool that Scummbuddy linked to the same site, I hadn't seen that yet!

QuoteSimple logic is that your an ass.
I'm an ass? Why?  Because you post something off topic and deragatory?  That makes me an ass?

Here's some more logic.  Just because you might think it's a stupid thread doesn't mean everybody else will.

Your responses (squinky and plastic) were, in my opinion, completely useless and unnecessary.

There was all that fuss in that other thread recently about posting useless shit and getting off topic.  Apparently it didn't do any good ... just like I said it wouldn't.

And I made no claim of ownership.  Nobody should 'assume' that I did.

cheers,
dm

Ginny

I don't really see why this is a dumb thread. This is General disscussion after all, and he wanted to share this site with us. Am I missing something?

Anyway, the site is great, I agree, the hunchback of Notre Dame is one of the best. I also liked the sword in the stone very much.
I would have liked to see some from Beaty and the Beast..

Yeah, this is probably made with a program, though you never know. You gotta be either very bored or very determined to do this manually.

This site makes me wanna rewatch the old disney movies... :)

edit: Scummbudy linked to the Calvin and Hobbes one, which is superb too.
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

evenwolf

I like disney movies too. This guys art is neato.

"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

DGMacphee

You're all asses!!!

And I'm a tugboat, call me Mel!!!
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Squinky

No. Your an ass for more reasons than that.
It's kind of a bunch of cumulative factors really. Just your general attitude bothers me to tell the truth, and your irratating way of saying what you think is right as if it is beyond dispute.

Forgive us all for ever saying a word that you don't agree with. We are just simple beings compared to you.

I think Dmitri said it pretty much when he asked if we were picking on you again. Typically one dosen't get singled out for no reason, and why would I, unprovoked just pop in and say something unless it really needed said?

What I'm saying is that you are probably the one person worthy of the treatment yufster got.

-and if you don't like that, don't respond. Simple logic dude.

taryuu

jesus christ, remind me never to share any nifty ascii sites i stumble across.

except for this one

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~wardog/

and dg i think i'm the only one who got the obscure superfreak reference.
I like having low self-esteem.  It makes me feel special.

taryuu?

Darth Mandarb

taryuu:
Thanks for the link!  It kind of takes some of the magic away from those images thinking they were done with a proggy but they're still darn cool.

GinnyW:
I would like to be bored and determined enough to accomplish something like that  ;D

Squinky:
I always state that what I'm saying is 'my opinion'.
I'm not going to apologize for having confidence in what I say/believe.
You've contributed 3 posts that have nothing to do with the topic.
"It dosen't change the fact that it was a dumb post..."  Was that just your opinion?  Or a statement that's 'beyond dispute'?
"and if you don't like that, don't respond. Simple logic dude."  Good!  You agree with me on this subject.  Perhaps you should heed the advice ... or contribute something on-topic.

cheers,
dm

Dmitri

Hitler was da bomb

Massacre the jewish

Whites are better

Women belong in the kitchen

everyone should follow my exact orders for I am God

and if you don't like it, don't respond, it's simple logic.

Pumaman

Quote from: plastic on Sun 10/08/2003 00:39:41
please, please stop making stupid threads.

What's with all this hostility lately? People often start threads to bring a cool website to our attention, and nobody usually complains. Is it just the hot weather making everybody rather tetchy and irritable?

TheDude

General Discussion:
Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Geez, me just wanted to share a great site he found with you and just because someone else did it before him there is no need to go psycho.  
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Adamski

Squinks, if you'd read his signature you'd realise that
QuoteIf you're reading this ... you're wasting your time.
Yup.

Darth Mandarb

Yet another off-topic post ... this time by a moderator.  Perhaps I should change my sig to "If you make off-topic posts, you're wasting your time"  Seems appropriate.

Dmitri - your last post confused me ;D  I found that Matrix link.

The ASCII Matrix
EDIT: Just enter the number 5 into the box.  I'm not sure what that's for, but that'll make it work.

Femme, TheDude, and Pumaman make some good points!

cheers,
dm

Czar

Yeah, I already saw the Matrix one, nice, but yeah, nobody sane could do that.... :)
And Squinky: I'm not sure you would have a negative response if this thread was made by Pumaman, so does that make you a hypocryte(sp)?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Adamski

Hey man, if you don't like my posts don't respond to them. IT'S SIMPLE LOGIC.

Darth Mandarb

Stockley - you must actually really like what I have to say then.

Here are some more.  There is a lot of ASCII art out there ... I never realized.
More ASCII Movies

cheers,
dm

Renal Shutdown

Hey

What with Mandarb's apparently "cool" site, the dislike of it being posted before and the resulting off-topic bickering, poking fun and somewhat humorous retorts..  I would like to make a suggestion, and here would seem to be the best place.  Ok, here goes:

How about a sticky topic, within which people can post "cool", "awesome" or "This site is so cool, I want to crap my pants.." sites.  This way, people can check the previous posts easily, to see if has been posted before, and we can keep a handy little collection of fun sites all in one place.

I thought about posting the thread myself, but:
1. I couldn't remember/find/make up any witty sites.
2. I didn't want to get universally panned for creating a pointless thread.
3. I'm too lazy.

Hugs
Iqu

Also, I'd like to suggest the thread's topic is "This site is so cool, I want to crap my pants.."  In honor of Phee, and his totally sweet ninja whatnot.
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

Squinky

Truthfully, my response was badly placed in this thread. I actually have nothing against this thread so much, it's just the poster.

I apologize to anybody offended by my actions, except for darth of course.

What set me off was the reply to plasticman, the same irratating thing he did to Evenwolf...

Darth Mandarb

Iqu - I think that's a good idea!  It would prevent multiple threads about cool sites and group them all together.

Squinky - Another noble veteran has started a thread against me, please take your off-topic posts into there.  At least then they'll be on-topic.

cheers,
dm

mitar at work

squinky shutup, I dont care if you call me an ASS but I'm not going to let the rest of you stupid oldies kill this community the ways I almost have. Leave him alone. I liked the Matrix one too.

DGMacphee

Jesus Horatio Billy Bob Christ, I can solve this situation very easily.

People who've made some notable contribution to the community (i.e. games, artwork, music, help with scripting, etc) can start new posts without much oif a prob -- people will be civil if you have some amount of respect earnt.

However, if you've contributed nothing of great notability, watch out and expect criticism for posting too much!

The General forum is a privilage that game makers EARN!

That's why I don't get shitcanned greatly for posting a year old NINJA website -- I just get the odd person say 'This site is old. Soon people wil post ALL YUOR BASE stuff.'

And it's the same reason why Chris wouldn't get shit-canned if he started an ASCII art post.

SO STFU AND MAKE YOUR GODDAMN GAMES, YOU ASSES!!!

taryuu:
That 'hiss' can mean only one thing... THERE'S A BALLOON VENDOR AROUND THAT CORNER!!!

(This post has been posted in two threads to reitterate the message)

Trapezoid

How bout we judge threads on their own frickin' merit?!

Dmitri

Darth: heh sorry, it was actually a jab at anyone who believed the statement of "If you don't like what I'm saying, don't respond,"

no offence I just don't think it's logical  ;D

I mean, some old poet guy said that the main reason that evil triumphs is because good is too lazy to get off it's ass

if I said that, for example, believed it, and got other people to believe it, by just sitting back and watching me you're basically letting me win, despite the fact my views are HORRIBLY inhumane.

if a general gave you as a soldier an order to kill some children (yes RE, I know, but I can't come up with a better example) and you contested the order but he responded with "If you don't wanna follow orders, get outta the army!" (a slight variation on what you were saying) what would you do? It IS after all, " simple logic "

MrColossal

just wanna clear something up

when i said to mitar to stop posting and make a game in another thread, i didn't mean people who have made games are better than everyone else who hasn't [look at me i've barely made any games] and i definetly don't believe this bullshit that just cause you're an "oldbie" you deserve respect.

you deserve respect if you show respect to people and well, you deserve it. You can be here since the beginning and never make a game [gilbert] but still be the biggest asshole in the world [not that gilbert is an asshole mind you, just poking fun at the man]. You can make a whole slew of games and yes... STILL be an asshole.

It's crazy but it's true! Length of time spent in the AGS community != respect.

The reason I keep telling mitar to make a game is because not 2 weeks ago he complained that he couldn't keep interested in a game long enough to keep working. So then he goes and posts constantly in the forums. And then goes on to complain that no one remembered that he started a thread so many years back. That is why I kept telling him to make a game and leave the forums alone for a while, leave the forums alone for a while and you're game will get made, make a game and people will remember you.

This is mostly in response to Trapezoid's post here and here

if DG posts a stupid thread I will lock it if need be[hell i already locked andails] if sum-41 posts a stupid thread I will lock it if need be.

if courtland leksutin posts a stupid thread i will lock it, i don't care how many knives he has [this sentence may or may not be true]

i didn't mean for this post to be so long but damn people, stop thinking because you've been here longer you're more mature than people who just got here. there is a VERY low percentage as far as i can see of people who abuse the ags forums, so what is all this hooplalala about?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

DGMacphee

I thought all the threads I started were stupid -- How come they haven't been locked yet?  ;D

Eric is right though -- I've kinda been looking at this from an iffy perspective.

I think everyone needs to show respect to each other and treat this forum as a privilage -- not some playpen or soapbox.

But I still believe people should make a decent contribution before posting here -- This is a game creation forum, and what good is it if you're not going to aid in game creation?

Some users here haven't made any games (such as Gilb0t), but still contribute greatly in areas of tech support.

I respect him because he isn't just hanging around here without anything to show for it -- the man is an AGS God, and he hasn't even made a single game.

m0ds

How about we all just turn against one another, hate each other and live gloomily ever after?

::)
m0ds

Captain Mostly

*sob sob*

Don't make me the product of a broken home!!!

Why is it that arguments are always between people I quite like. Life would be so much easyer if squinky and Darth could gang up on someone I usually think is a dweeb. then me and darth and squinks would get kicked out, and have to start coding in C++ or Visual Basic, thus only ever making terrible games.

Although I think that the ASCII stuff it great! I love it, although it's weird that I've never played an ASCII graphics game I enjoyed.

there's loads of them, and yet none of them are ever fun! And I don't mean text-adventures either (hell, I LOVED "the golden wombat of destiny")

I mean the ones like "nethack" and "wizards castle"

But beyond this: I agree with mods!

Ben

When I read Eric's post I found myself nodding and agreeing the whole time, which is something I rarely do. You get as much respect as you give. It seems obvious, but sometimes it's hard to keep that in mind. I remember a few instances in the past where I've been disrespectful to newbies, and I regret it. Hopefully we can all learn to live together in peace and harmony and all that. I really hate seeing any sort of dispute here, and it looks like the hostility that's been lingering here for the past few weeks is starting to disperse.

Picking up where Mostly left off:

The only ASCII game I enjoyed was ZZT. And that was just because I could make my own games with it.. Not that I ever made anything good at the age of ten. I think it helped to quench my creative appetite, though.

Darth Mandarb

I was a little hesitant to dig up this old thread (and reading through it is kind of funny) but I didn't want to start a new thread when this one was (originally) for this type of post.  It just got off topic.

Anyhoo ... This is really coo! stuff ...

DeGraeve.com - GIF2TXT Page

You can give them a gif file and they'll convert it to text (ASCII, HTML or UBB code).  I guess this doesn't really have a practical purpose ... but I think it's cool.  And (the posts that WERE on topic) talked about finding a program to do this for you.

Here's one I did for my company logo:

So I'm guessing that my original post items were done using something like this.

Flippy_D

Does that say "Twacksega"?

Aussi, m0ds: I call Lord of the Flies!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk