Nice article about creative endeavors...

Started by Dave Gilbert, Mon 11/08/2003 15:53:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

http://www.blacktable.com/loser030811.htm

A nice article that AGSers could appreciate.  It's about why people put so much effort into artistic works for free, and why they keep doing it.  

-Dave

Darth Mandarb

Great article!  I was actually thinking about this the other day.

When I'm dealing with clients I charge them for just about everything I do for them.  If they want just one small graphical change that's only going to take me 1 minute, I charge them for it.

Yet, here, I'll spend an hour helping somebody with their art work and I do it simply because 1) I enjoy it and 2) I want to help them out.

I expect nothing in return.  I do it because I love it.

cheers,
dm

Barcik

This article ultimately brings me back to Helm's old thread about happiness, which I appreciate more and more daily - there is happiness in doing something productive, instead of the regular daily casual activities.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Ginny

Great article.

Darth, I couldn't agree more. Lately I've been on the technical forums a lot, and I find myself spending over an hour to get a script to do something, or to find a new method to do something that I probably won't need, and I really enjoy doing it, and when I get it to work, I feel happy (so I agree with Helm ;)) that I managed it, and that I helped someone. But it is good practise though :).

Barcik: I agree with what you said way back in Helm's thread, I too feel that if I havn't done something productive or creative in a way during the day, it was wasted. :)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Flippy_D

People need to read this article. This has really helped put some things in perspective.

Now I have too many perspectives.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk