Any advice for a MacUser??

Started by sum-41, Tue 12/08/2003 15:11:16

Previous topic - Next topic

sum-41

Hi I use Mac- And Proud!!! But needless to say most things aren't supported under MAC OS. Does anyone know programs like AGS for Mac, and can AGS made games be played on Mac?? Apart from answering, post in anything you think would be a help to me, pleez.
LucasArts rocks!

veryweirdguy

I don't think that AGS games can be played on a mac but I may be wrong. And if you're looking for a mac program similar to AGS you might wanna try this page:

Every game creation program you could ever need

Hope that helps.

SSH

MacOS X is a version of UNIX, I believe, and AGS is available for Linux and FreeBSD, so maybe it wouldn't be too hard? But CJ or Erica may be able to comment better on that!

sum-41

Thanks, I was searching all over for an answer! ;D
Thanks again- didn't know WHERE to look! ???
LucasArts rocks!

sum-41

Verywierdguy-Thankyou-your link was priceless!! :-*j/k
Cheers, an amazingly helpful link. ;D :D ;D :D ;D
LucasArts rocks!

BOYD1981

heh, my only advice would be... buy a pc!  ;D

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

sum-41

Wow, thanks for the lifesaving advice, Boyd! >:(
Drop dead. ;D
Any other linx?
LucasArts rocks!

scotch

Not really, there's no mac equivalent of ags to my knowledge.. (get a proper computer ;)) although as it was pointed out there's a Linux port of the AGS engine.. perhaps a mac one wouldn't be too hard as long as we can find a mac user who can make a port (you know of anyone?).  Some of the old adventure games were available for mac weren't they?  There might be an untapped community of adventure game fans there..

As for actually making adventure games on a mac.. I don't think you'll be able to unless you have a good windows emulator ;)

Fuzzpilz

As SSH mentioned, OS X is based on BSD. As it uses Allegro, for which there is an OS X port, it should be possible to port the engine. I'm less confident about the editor, though - that would require much more manual work, and would probably have to be done from the ground up.

There are also PC emulators, you could try using those.

LGM

*cough*www.bestbuy.com*cough*

*Cough*BuyaREALcomputer*cough*

*cough**cough*

*collapse*
You. Me. Denny's.

Ben

Actually, OsX is a lot more stable (and powerful maybe) than Windows. But that doesn't change the fact that Macs confuse the hell out of me.

Oh, and that one-buttoned, disc-shaped mouse is just stupid.

I'd like to see a mac version of the engine though. It would open up our games to a wider audience, and considering mac users tend to be older, more sophisticated (snooty  :P) people, I think adventure games would be quite popular with them..

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

I'm sorry, but how on EARTH are you supposed to play an adventure game with a one button mouse?

For that matter, how on earth do you use a computer with a one button mouse :x I have trouble using less than three.

Matt Brown

shift click? do macs still do that?
word up

MrColossal

my friend nick plays all our games on his mac. But he runs virtual PC and it has a TERRRRRIBLE time trying to run hi colour and for some reason 6 day assassin.

so either find a friend with a pc or bear the very slowfull ness of virtual pc i guess.

and the whole one mouse button thing made it quite hard for him to play BASS but he figured it out, if you need to know how I'll ask him.

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

remixor

I could be totally wrong, but IIRC on my old roommate's Mac, you have to hold down the one button for a second or so, then it performs a function that a right button would do (context menu, etc.).  It's kind of stupid that since there are programs on a Mac that require a secondary click, they don't just put right buttons on all the...mouses?  mice?
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

rodekill

80% of Rode Quest 2 was made on a mac using Virtual PC.
The problem with that would be
a) Virtual PC emulates like, a P200 which makes it impossibe to do a high res game and stuff.
b) You still have a mac when you turn VPC off.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

agsking

Rode: Heh, not true. I used to use a P200 and I made and played plenty of 16 bit high res games. You just have to get used to the slowness and AWFULLY slow fade times.

I also stopped playing A Day in the Life because it was too slow (not that its a bad game of anything)  :)

My suggestion: get a cheap PC and move on with life.

Esseb

I thought you could buy mice with 2 buttons for macs if you wanted one. Rode?

MrColossal

yea as far as i know you can, and sometimes holding down function and clicking doesn't work for a right click

as was the case with BASS
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Gilbert

As far as I remember there was something called Adventure Creator for teh MAC, which was one of the main reason for AGS's name change, I don't know if it's still under development or what it can do though. :p

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk