spread the word!

Started by FruitTree, Sat 16/08/2003 18:48:19

Previous topic - Next topic

FruitTree

read "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn :)

Robert Eric

Why should we?  You didn't exactly give us a reason.
Ã, Ã, 

FruitTree

trust me?
serious you won't regret it :)
it has changed my view on the world

Esseb

Hey, you're back. We missed you.

Edit: I just might. What's it about and how did it change your view of the world if you don't mind me asking?

Pessi

Great to see you're back, Fruitree!!! We really did miss you. :) Where were you?

Anyway, I'm actually very interested in reading this book. Especially after reading the customer reviews on Amazon. Well, actually, seeing that even somebody I know thinks the same way as they do. It must be true.

I just hope I can find this book from my bookstore. :-\

FruitTree

I've been pretty absend for a while I know, things just weren't going that well so I took a vacation, got some rest, I'm feeling much better now, and thanks so much for actually missing me  :D

anyway, the book is about a man who replies to an ad in the papers saying: "tutor looking for pupil, must have the earnest desire to save the world" the man makes finds out that this tutor is a gorilla.
a gorilla called  'Ishmael' the gorilla is extremely wise and teaches us about our culture about how we think we know whats good or not, the book teaches us that however we might think we're turning the world in a paradise under our controll the facts point the other directoin: we're destroying the world, why? and the alternatives you can read in 'Ishmael"  :)

for more info www.ishmael.org

Barcik

Kinda sounds like Planet of the Apes.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Ginny

Hmm, sounds interesting.
While on the subject of changing the view on things- read "The Tao of Pooh" and "The Te of Piglet", both by Benjamin Hoff.
They are books about taoism (a way of life which results IMO in happiness), and it explains taoism using the characters from Winnie the Pooh, and uses Taoism to exaplin Winnie the Pooh.
Basically, even if you don't read it in a very philosophical way, it's still darn amusing :D

Hmm, I think I have Ishmael in hebrew, I think I got it form my elementary school. Oh wait, no that was called "Elisha" :P
Anyway, some time ago, I stumbled on Ishmael on Amazon while looking for philosophical books (i.e. in the style of "Johnatan Livingston Seagull" and "The little prince". That sort of philosophical :)).
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

FruitTree

I also read the 'tao of poo' it sure is amusing to read :)

Ginny

Yep, and the te of piglet is great too :D.
I got them together as a birthday present, I like books like that. Anyway, I'm reading the look inside for Ishmael in Amazon.com right now:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553375407/103-3344908-4982261?v=glance&s=books

There's also one called "My Ishmael" is that a continuation or something?
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

FruitTree

my Ishmael is some sort of a sequel/prequel it's got the same set up as Ishmael (a long conversation) but the content is very different.
I haven't read it yet I'm reading 'the man who grew young' also by Quinn now wich is also very good  :)
but not yet as good as Ishmael though ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk