What is the pixel size of a cd cover?

Started by Minimi, Thu 21/08/2003 15:11:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimi

I want to make a cdcover for something and I must know the exact size in pixel of it, its for a jewel case. If don't understand I mean... something like 300x250... and then when i print it, that it will fit with the case ;)

Tnx in advance!

Fuzzpilz

Depends on the resolution you want, really. The size is 4.718 inches high by 4.75 inches wide. At 300 dpi, for example, that comes to 1415x1425 pixels.

Minimi

but when i make it that big.. then the printer prints it way too large!

Fuzzpilz

Not if you set it up properly. I don't know what software you're using, though, so I can't tell you how to do that.

Scummbuddy

Dimensions and pixels are two completly different things.  You could have a 1 pixel by 1 pixel cd cover of just blue if you really wanted it to be that.

If you set up the canvas size to be what the Fuzz said, it will work
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Pessi

The pixel size depends on what dpi you're using. Try to find out what is the greatest dpi your printer supports and post it here so we can tell you the correct dimensions in pixels. Or if you have Photoshop, for example, you can find it out as well. Actually, you don't even need to know the pixels. Just make a new image, choose inches as the measure and change the dpi value to one that your printer supports.

I think you can find out the supported dpi from Control Panel -> Printers -> Click on the printer you're using -> Properties -> General.

TheYak

If you have the program, I'd recommend going with power-point.  It allows you to insert images and resize and what-not and also has nice basic shapes.  I've made templates using it for cd-labels, covers, dvd-covers, vhs-labels and cassette-tape labels.  I just find it a bit more versatile than your standard cd-labelling program.  Another idea, you can probably find a freeware/shareware cd-label/cover program that'll print the correct size even at higher resolutions.  If you insist on doing it with a paint program, Pessi's post is the way to go.

Las Naranjas

Many programs can let you adjust size to something like "actual size" where it discovers adjusts it to the size it will be printed at your res.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

cpage

what burner program do you use?
Nero comes with a cover editer

m0ds

I use MS Word for CD covers, as you can simply measure up the length and width in cm's or inches and then create a box of that size, place all your artwork/design into that and then print it and it's the perfect size.

Thank you Kinky Island, for teaching me something about CD covers.

:)
m0ds

Vel

m0ds

Not sure, I think its about 10cm by 10cm, but I'll have to check when I get home.

A simple method I use is to take a ruler and measure a CD cover. But that's a bit wacky!

Making the "front" cover is easy, its a simple dimension - but creating the back cover can be a bit tricker, especially if it's one of the deeper jewel cases. You have to take into account the spine at the same time.

What I'd like to know, is how to make a manual that fits inside it. I don't understand how you staple a little manual.

m0ds

Fuzzpilz

<Fuzzpilz> convert 4.718 inches
<Roger> 4.718 inches is 11.983719835281372cm
<Fuzzpilz> convert 4.75 inches
<Roger> 4.75 inches is 12.065cm

There you go.

If you want more booklet-ish things, use double-wide images and staple them together like so:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk