AdventureX

Started by , Fri 22/08/2003 20:09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

Adventor X I hear you say? What ares it?

Well - it's something thats currently in "pending mode". It was first thought up at Mittens '02, worked well on a small scale at Mittens '03 and is something I hope to organise for '04 - providing it passes phase one (which is always the hardest part);

Phase 1 - ask AGSer's what they think.

Here's the website, which is very textual at the moment,
http://screen7.adventuredevelopers.com/adventurex

Read it, you'll get the general idea. Although most of it is accurate information, a lot of it is placeholders (i.e. the Events).

If you really don't want to see what the website is, AdventureX is a proposal to hold an "expo" for everyone here, and everyone else - to show their games.

If it gets the go ahead, yes, it will happen in the UK next year - but don't let that put you off. International AGSers can send their CD's of games/previews over and they'll get shown too. Magic.

So, go for it, or drop it?

:)
m0ds

Privateer Puddin'

Minimi

Yes go for it!, if I can make it, then I'm coming from holland to UK for it, but I must finish some nifty games then ;)

Captain Mostly

It sounds lovely. I might even be convinced to turn up!!! (although naturally I'd be happyer if there was a more glove-related name...)

Jolly good idea.

Mr Jake

maybe if it becomes a succesful event and you have another you can charge a small fee to goto CJ :D

TerranRich

Woohoo! I'd send my CD of my game/demo, whichever it is when this happens! ;D

Barcik

A good idea, but for it to be successful there is a need some serious help of the pros.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Matt Goble

Great idea MODs!

I'm definitely up for this (must get some sort of game on the go I guess...)

How about some sort of 'annual' CD containing all the games demo'd?  This would obviously be up to the discretion of the developers, and will require extra work (Which I'm happy to help out with), but it would be a good way for people unable to attend to try out the games.

Either way, I hope this all comes together.

Matt

agsking

Great idea, that would be very cool! You will become teh famous!

Ginny

This is a great idea! I wonder, for those who can't attend, would it be possible for someone to record the discussions in the tutorials floor?
It'd be a shame if those who can't attend just have to miss it. Writing the main things as an article would work too, if it's possible.
A great idea, this could lead to fame! :D

I wonder though, how come all visitors must be 16 or older? I can understand with exhibitors, but kids younger than that are interested in games too, wouldn't it promote the genre more by presenting it to all generations? ;)

Heh anyway, good luck! Go for it!
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

AGA

Sounds like a good idea, I would definitely be up for it. The only real problem I can think of is that if it's not well-advertised enough, and if no professional developers, or amateur developers from other communities, come, it could end up just a 'Mittens plus demos' sort of thing...

Czar

m0ds well, i must say, you did sturcture the site pretty good, but when i tried to click on the sponsor link it showed Four-oh-four
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

rodekill

Very nice.
While I doubt I'd be able to attend, I'd probably be interesting in sponsoring the event, monetarily and all that.

I'd suggest having a corner set aside with info in the different engines available, if the designers are so inclined... I'm sure a lot of attendees won't know about them and would be interested.

You should also try to get some of our new friends *cough* interested in it somehow. You'd need to show some proof of the seriousness of it all though. Maybe a nice press kit.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Mr Jake

give me the date and I will drop the link/place/info in a couple of gen gen forums where people might be intereseted

Matt Goble

This is where the idea of an 'annual' CD might be handy - a collection of demos, tutorials and programs from AdventureX:

- Those who cannot attend get to see the games on show (for those who don't want to supply a working demo, maybe some sort of 'rolling' demo using Camtasia like Goldmund did for his project.

- Any tutorials / question and answer sessions transcribed.

- the latest release of various adventure game engines, saving people download time etc.

This disc could also be sent out to magazines to highlight adventure games (and promote AdventureX 2005).  Nearer the time, perhaps contact magazines like PC-Plus to promote the event, plus all the various adventure related websites.

Of course, as AGA says it might turn out like "Mittens with Demos", but the  if we do everything to promote it elsewhere, there's not a lot we can do if people don't turn up.

MODs, where are you getting 20 comuters from?!?

Matt

Pumaman

Sounds like a great idea, but is there enough of an audience interested in adventure games, who would be within travelling distance of the event, to make it work?

If the practical side can be worked out though, definately go for it.

m0ds

Thanks very much for your comments. Firstly, this is not a shot at fame :P I just enjoy organising things and especially for my hobby ^_^ and yours too :P

And personally, I'm bored of hearing adventure games are dying, the point and click is dead and just seeing fps' >_< on the shelves.

I think that, by twisting the right arms and getting it advertised the right way, it could work a treat.

@ matt:
Quotea collection of demos, tutorials and programs from AdventureX

is a very good idea. We should deffinatley look into this. As for the 20 computers, I might hire them or... Pull a few chains. We'll see. :P

@ rodekill:
Yes, it'd be great for you to sponsor - I will be looking for sponsors and what not and of course, it is the intention to get some commercial developers to pop along too and what not, which i'm sure they'd help with sponsoring ;)

The website is mainly a template with some information. I forgot to make the sponsor page lol but yeah I'll get that rolling.

I'll see who I can talk too, maybe we can drag someone along ;) A press kit is important, and they'll deffinatley be tempted!

This coming week is "London Games Week", and I'm trying to make contact with one of the organisers for that - maybe get some advertising or help that way.

Oh, and about the engines corner - well yes, I think engine developers should bring their engines along to demonstrate/advertise whichever - the same for online magazines that support the genre like AdventureGamers, JustAdventure and all that.

@ AGA
Yep, I want to avoid that. It will be for all engines and what not, different companies. "Mittens with demos" is best left for Mittens, cos that's where it works best :P

@ Ginny & Tonic
Well, I see your point about the age limit, and I'll think about it. But I just can't stand kids :P

It will deffinatley be covered by magazines (hopefully) and video clips and what not!

>
Thanks again, I would type more, but I'm really tired :P

m0ds

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

About the age limit thing: perhaps there should be a limit on who can demo their game / run a stall / whatever, but no limit on who can actually turn up and have a look around?

And I am so totally coming to this thing, if it ever materialises, perhaps not with my game but just to meet everyone that I wouldn't be able to meet otherwise (no mittens until at least 2005 for me >_< )

Mr Jake

maybe no under 16s without supervison

Czar

well looks like we should start suckin up to m0ds, cause when/if he pulls this off, hes gonna be famous.
and btw m0ds , that shirt is very lovely, and did i mention that you cap glows with superbness....erm i better stop now...
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

FruitTree

I'm all for it!
power to the adventure games!

Captain Mostly

wow! Coincidence! I don't like kids either!!!

This means when m0ds is famous, he'll pick me to be his favorate fawning lacky! WOOT WOOT!

MrColossal

just be wary of mittens 2004

don't wanna overlap or people get restless

as in they can't sleep

poor people
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

m0ds

It wouldn't clash with Mittens - that's one thing I'll make sure of ;) Mainly because I would like to go to both events, I'm sure others would too.

m0ds

Pumaman

I don't know if you've seen this - http://www.adventure-convention.org.uk/ but it might have a fair overlap with the proposed AdventureX. It might be handy to talk to those guys for their experiences, anyway.

m0ds

Gah, x 20. But then, they're very IF orientated. AdventureX will be something different.

Promise :)

m0ds

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk