Are there any people here using Linux?

Started by Minimi, Mon 25/08/2003 19:24:38

Previous topic - Next topic

sum-41

Come On!!!- Aplle's Titanium powerbook??? :o
Apple's got the design thing in the bag.
LucasArts rocks!

AGA

Compared to XP, 2000 is anything but flawed. And yes, I have tried Windows 2003 Server, I was on Microsoft's beta list, so I was testing it earlier on this year. Seems rock solid, apart from the lack of support for games.

remixor

I have to say, 2000 is a great operating system.  I have only ever had ONE virus in the several years I've been running it, and that was the recent blast virus.  I didn't even notice I HAD it for a while though, since 2000 seemed to handle it pretty well.  Trap is completely right.  If you don't download crap you don't need, your chances of your PC getting infected is reduced to almost 0.  I think it's pretty damned ridiculous that people are surprised they get viruses when opening attachments from people they don't know or downloading files from some peer to peer network.  Would you do the equivalent of that in real life?  You do it at your own risk.

In conclusion, MACS ARE TEH SUCK ANSD WINDOSW 2000 IS TEH AWESMOE!!!111one

And I suppose I should at least tangentially relate this to the original post:  I don't use Linux and never have.  I've been meaning to give it a shot for a while just for the hell of it, but I'll be damned if I can't actually think of a reason why I'd need to.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Gilbert

I never like MAC or Windoze.

I'll only say:

DOS RULEZ!1!

By DOS I don't mean M$DOS or PCDOS or whatever, I mean APPLESOFT DOS for teh 4LL MY M1GHTY TEH B35TT3R35T 4PPL3 ][ C0MPUT3R5!1!1!1!

Red_Armadillo

DOS? You gotta be kidding me! That is so outdated... and I still say I PERSONALLY[/i][/u] like windows XP anyway I just like XP beacause it works best for my laptop... though it is very slow. And if you don't like it don't waste computer memory on it go to 2000.
PEPSI kicks Coca~Cola's Butt!

Scavenger

*cough* Rather opinionated today, aren't we people? Everybody knows that different people have different preferences. But, you really should stop making your eyes leak over dispersed liquid bovine offspring feeder. In other words, lets bite the binary code and say:
IF YOU KEEP ARGUING OVER THE OPERATING SYSTEMS, MAKE YOUR OWN! :P

Or just stop bickering.

Oh, and I use Win98SE, MSDOS6.22, and Linux Redhat 9 :P So THERE! Beat that! Hehehe.

Minimi

Well... to also reply to the thread I started... I like Dos also alot... but i dont know appledos... When I started out with the PC, I had this cute Norton Commander (you know the blue screen) ... and I played all kinda games like arcade volleyball, princeofpersia, and commanderkeen4 A year later, I also bought fate of atlantis, that indiana jones game... awww... the old times! No internet... no viruses... no shit... only the real deal 256color!! ;) Only floppys and a game larger than 2mb was very big game! Ohw how I loved Fifa96... though that was a little time later ;) "Keep is cool!".. you know thats the only computergame I ever played against my dad! ;)

makri

I used to run a redhat and win 2000 in a dual boot machine. I ended up spending more time on Win side because I need graphics programs and I dislike Gimp. Had Jasc converted PSP on Linux, I probably would have ended up on the Linux side.

As for Win stability, worms and viruses... Win 2000, servicepacked and patched properly, with an AV software and a firewall, is stabile OS. I've never had a single virus or a worm. I boot my computer once a week - once a month (after isntalling something that needs it) and I rarely face any kind of freezes or lockups. I probably like XP just as much after a year or two when it gets patched to a level I'm comfortable with.
Thud. Thud. Thud. Splat.

rodekill

People always say stuff like 'Mac is good for artwork'. Explain.
I can see the advantages for video editing, with the firewire and all, but other than that, I see absolutely no reason to own a mac.
And yes, I use one. I work on one. In fact, I spend more time on the Mac than on the Win box.
They crash just as much as Windows (OSX is supposedly better, but, uh, it'd be nice if I wasn't forced to upgrade all of my software just to run it).
The cost alone of a Mac makes it completely worthless in my opinion.
So someone please explain to me where all of that money makes it a good investment.
'Good for artwork'. Please. OS9 doesn't even have any memory management whatsoever. You have to manually tell each program how much memory to use. Once that's used up, good luck running anything else.
Imacs are good for the internet, grandma, and people who want something pretty to show off to friends. Oh, and of course all those 'designers' who barely know how to turn the damn thing on.
Actually, scratch the internet. Half of the webpages I visit don't open properly in IE for mac.
As for Linux. Had it on for a week. Realised I would never use it since it was way more complicated than it needed to be.
Hopefully that'll change.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Matt Brown

rode, I think thats because MS stopped developing IE for macs...said they needed to use a different browser. prehaps thats why your webpages dont work?
word up

Red_Armadillo

AGA,

The reason why 2k3 doesn't support games is because it was made for networking Windows Server Edition 2003

DinghyDog

Macs are good for music, and video editing. Music, because of ProTools. Anyone heard of it? ProTools is the definitive professional music editing, layering, and mastering tool that everyone in the buisness uses. And to use it, it's on the mac, because it works better on it. Windows is too cluttery for it. They've got a windows version, but it's not nearly as good.

But I like Windows better anyway.

-G
It's yer owld pal Dinghy Dog!!

AGA

bigcitynerd: so was Windows 2000, it's a business-oriented O/S that has no reason to support games, but it does perfectly. As is XP Professional...

Hobbes

Pah!

Amateurs!

BeOS is the real king!

Ok, so it's a dead OS that isn't being developed anymore. But it just sounds cooool, ok? ;)

Actually, it's a pretty stable OS which beats Windows and Linux anyday. It's also MAC-compatible. Only problem? There's no darn software. *grin*

Fuzzpilz

You should all stop talking and use Contiki.

Matt Brown

word up

Red_Armadillo

AGA: Windows 2000 was home,professional, and server. I'm running 200 server edition on a server downstairs and it is not working any games.

If you take a look at the facts then XP was made for idiots and YES 2000 was not. Buuuuuuuttttt, 2000 server edition does not run games!

AGA

Yes, but the fact remains that you shouldn't really expect to be able to, it's for running servers after all, not for home users...

Privateer Puddin'

Red_Armadillo

Yes, but Professional should because it was made for the office and what does everyone do at the office?  :D anyway, to support office programs not just word and crap but server edition doesn't run games.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk