Do you play adventure games? If so read this!

Started by magintz, Tue 26/08/2003 14:26:07

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

Dear fellow adventure gamers,

I need some help. For my A-Level graphics coursework I have decided to promote my new game by designing a display stand and cd-cover. For this I need to create a portfolio, and one of the sections is to research my target audience â€" you guys ‘n’ gals.

Please can as many people as possible answer this questionnaire, it is ready to be copy and pasted for your ease. Don’t worry about filling in everything, just do as much as you can.

Thanks ^_^

-----------------------------------------

1)   Name three characteristics of a typical adventure game
-
-
-

2)   What makes it easy to identify an adventure game from any other genre?

3)   What makes you choose a game? (e.g. screenshots, reviews, description etc…)

4)   When buying a game what information would you like to see on the product or display?

5)   Name three characteristics of a typical super-hero
-
-
-

6)   They say an image can speak 1000 words, would you buy a game just because of the images displayed on the box? What type of impact do images give to you?
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

DragonRose

1)- Focus on story over action
 - Use of logic to overcome obstacles
 - Linear plot (as opposed to an RPG where anything can happen as long as you're in the right place)

2) Adventure games focus on character and plot, often continuing a story arc throughout a series.  An adventure game also tends to have more emphasis on logical thought processes.

3)Description of the plot- to quote the president of Pixar, "Story is King."

4)-Unusual childhood (i.e. orphaned, runaway, exceedingly good student, victim of crime/tragic accident etc.)
  -Flashy costume
  -Secret identity

5)I would't buy a game just based on pictures, though they would influence my purchase. After all, if the box doesn't look interesting on the shelf, I wouldn't pick it up.  Also, pictures on a box help convey atmosphere nd tone about a game more effectively than just words by themselves. But just looking at pictures and screenshots is not enough to outline the plot of a game.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

AGA

1)   Name three characteristics of a typical adventure game
Exciting plot
Interesting characters
Interesting dialogues

2)   What makes it easy to identify an adventure game from any other genre?
The emphasis more on story and characters than on graphics.

3)   What makes you choose a game? (e.g. screenshots, reviews, description etc…)
Reviews and word-of-mouth.

4)   When buying a game what information would you like to see on the product or display?
Brief plot outline and review scores from some PC-gaming magazines.

5)   Name three characteristics of a typical super-hero
Brave
Strong
Clever

6)   They say an image can speak 1000 words, would you buy a game just because of the images displayed on the box? What type of impact do images give to you?
They are important, but not everything

Trapezoid

- Story and object based puzzles
- Three Act storyline
- Dozens of individual interactive characters

Adventure games generally have the main character onscreen, with controls for walking, manipulating, looking at, and talking to the game environment. There is an inventory which doesn't contain mostly weapons. The setting is relaxed for most of the time, allowing the player to explore and work out puzzles at their own pace. Gameplay immerses the player into the story in a way that makes it very hard to simply forget what's happening.

3)   What makes you choose a game? (e.g. screenshots, reviews, description etc…)
Reviews, mostly. In magazines and online.

4)   When buying a game what information would you like to see on the product or display?
If the reviews I've read appeal to me, it doesn't matter.

- One or more special powers or skills
- Handsome/beatiful with a perfect body
- An unlimited supply of foes

6)   They say an image can speak 1000 words, would you buy a game just because of the images displayed on the box? What type of impact do images give to you?
I will rarely buy a game if I haven't read reviews, so it doesn't make much of a difference, but I get rather excited about buying a game if the box displays plenty of interesting screenshots from the game.

juncmodule

-----------------------------------------

- Story/Plot: Adventure games are more of an interactive tale, versus the typical “video game”.
- Puzzles
- Characters: Well rounded and nearly always interesting.

2)   What makes it easy to identify an adventure game from any other genre? Graphics are usually at the top of the list. I do not consider any 3D rendered game to be a Adventure Game, however this is a personal opinion. Next comes the description of the game, mention of puzzles, adventure, characters, and story can easily identify the game.

3)   What makes you choose a game? (e.g. screenshots, reviews, description etc…) I would say that graphics attract me first. If it “looks” like an adventure game, I will at least look at it. 3D renderings usually cause me to put the box down. Next is demos. I rarely buy a game that I have not played in some form prior to purchase. Also, distributors/publishers/authors that I am familiar with and trust cause me to choose games.

4)   When buying a game what information would you like to see on the product or display? I always check System Requirements when buying a “new” game. With adventure games this is rarely a problem. Catchy slogans, funny one liners, pretty pictures…Shiny things are good.

- in a adventure game I hope to never see a “super-hero”, the non-hero is always my favorite (Roger Wilco, Guybrush)
- Kryptonite.
- Tights.

6)   They say an image can speak 1000 words, would you buy a game just because of the images displayed on the box? What type of impact do images give to you? If it is cheap enough yes, I would risk it. But, I do consider it a risk. There are always games with good graphics and horrible playability. Same goes for box art. Good images attract the eye, they tend to at least cause me to investigate a game further.

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Plot
Puzzles
Music/Atmosphere

The point and click interface, 3rd person views with pretty scenery

3)   What makes you choose a game? (e.g. screenshots, reviews, description etc…)

Reviews from fellow users above everything else; also, does the case look professionally made? And I can also be swayed by pretty screenshots.

4)   When buying a game what information would you like to see on the product or display?

The game genre, the premise of the plot, what I can expect from the game.

Does not fear making sacrifices to help others
Posesses qualities not found in an average person; ranging from simple personality traits to genetic modifications
Adored by those he/she comes in contact with

6)   They say an image can speak 1000 words, would you buy a game just because of the images displayed on the box? What type of impact do images give to you?

No, I would not. However, pretty screenshots and decent looking artwork can sway me from perhaps wanting to buy a game to definitely buying a game. Also, a game cover needs to stand out, so I can easily identify it in a shop ^_^

anasazi

- Challenges come from puzzles and mental challenges rather than physical coordination
- Plot and or character driven
- A greater focus on "world creation" than average

Well, it isn't.  Not always.  Adventure games seem to be the "leftovers" - the games that aren't defined by other genres.  Some RPGs come awfully close to being adventure games - they aren't because of the unique system in place for experience or combat or whatever.  The closest description I can think of is interactive fiction (which still leaves a lot of wiggle room).
Because they're not easily definable, I think that allows a lot of room for creativity.

The plot has to sound interesting or amusing.  Professional games need to convince me that it is, in fact, an adventure game, and not a waste of my money.  Amateur games need to convince me that they've done enough beta-testing for it to work on my machine.

I'm always made happy when I see innovative material.  I like concept sketches.  I want a teaser of a plot, and enough of a characterization to know that the PC is someone I can identify with on some level.  Pretty graphics are nice, too.

- S/he has an alter-ego that nobody seems able to guess, despite clues that would make it obvious to a three year old child.
- There's some inner turmoil that the supervillain exploits (knowledgeably or not).  
- There is something (wealth, strength, special powers) that separates them from the common man.

Yes.  Absolutely.  Pictures give a frame of reference for the game.  If the artwork is done right, you ought to be able to tell immediately what the mood of the game is, something about the personality of the character, and more about the "feelings" you should get while playing the game.  A team of artists (both cover art and internal) can make or break a game.  
The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

Ali

Plot driven gaming
Character interaction
Non-level-based evolution.

Greater emphasis on the solving of mysteries and puzzles thoughtfully, rather than by the skillfull manipulation of a physical simulation, as in many action games.

I'm mainly infuenced by a plot synopsis, but visuals are also very important. It's not the most advanced graphics which necessarily win me over, but those with most character and atmosphere.

Relatively low specifications (my computer still runs off a mill-wheel), and a well composed box image. Being eye catching is important, but I look out for boxes which look more like good film posters, communicating someting about the game's atmosphere of characters.

Great big muscles
Great big gun
Underpants on the outside

So to summarise: pictures make me buy things. If you were to show me a picture of a tractor, I'd be at the farm-shop before you could say 'don't buy a tractor'.

Snake

-Fully interactive scenes, characters
-Interactive with an involving storyline and plot, not shoot 'em ups or platformers
-Intence puzzles that involve immence thinking

Undeniable, the point & click interface, that should be the first thing to nitice. Other than that, you'll find out when you play I suppose. Adventure Games get the player involved in the situations the characters are in and cause them to think and figure out logical situations using their mind, instead of focusing on eye-hand coordination and swiftness (which are mostly what the game industry nowadays are made of).

3)  What makes you choose a game? (e.g. screenshots, reviews, description etc…)
For me it's the description. The screenshots are a good thing aswell, but if the sound of the game doesn't interest me, I definately wouldn't buy it/download it because of it's looks.

Information about the plot, objective and screenshots. I like games that come in a box instead of just a CD case. I usually look at the bozes first...I just like how they lok Iguess ;)

-tights
-mask
-cape

Like I said above, I think the information about the story/plot are more important.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Las Naranjas

17 (and 363 days)
Male

1)Narrative Driven
Dialogue
Uber Protagonist

2) It's absence from the shelves in the store.

3)Word of mouth (or keyboard)

4)Specs.

5)Contrived back story
Absurd, themed, recurring enemies
Daft costume.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

remixor

Character development
Narrative flow
Puzzles

The general lack of action and focus on puzzles rather than killing (which with few exceptions is the goal of just about every other genre)

With the current quantity of commercial adventure games today, the fact that it exists is enough for me to give it a shot.  As far as indies go, I only play AGS games, and I play as many as I can.

Approximate hours of gameplay, minimum system requirements, perhaps plot.  I assume you're talking about adventures here, so that's about it.

- Archetypal
- Extraordinary powerful with a (generally cliche) fatal/debilitating weakness
- Possessing of a mild-mannered alter-ego

Again, assuming you're talking about adventures, there are so few of them to keep track of that I generally know what I'm getting into by the time I get to the store.  However, graphic style is nonetheless important to me in an adventure game (this is different than the technical quality of the graphics), so if I find the style particularly striking I may be influenced in some regard.

Good luck with your project; I hope you get the information you need.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Nacho

-Hero starts in a great disavantadge with the enemy.
-Less playability when more tecnology
-Usually, good humour

A game for thinking!

Screenshots and comment in reviews... Friendship with the creator when talking about AGS ad.

When I go to the software shop I have decide which game will I buy, so...

-Lonely
-Intelligent or...
-Lucky

Sorry... Nostalgia rules... Old Lec style graphics... From "Monkeys to Tentacles"
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Gilbert

(The following, IMO applies to most adventure games, even text adventures)

- story telling
- character(s)
- locations (even for a "one room" game, clicking on different spots means different locations)

It is not easy, to be honest, but generally you can always call a game adventure game if it processes all the characteristics mentioned in Ans of Q1.

3)   What makes you choose a game? (e.g. screenshots, reviews, description etc.)
I'm not picky on choosing games, I'll play a game whenever it is available to me and my system can play it. That say, some rulez for me:
Commercial games - Whenever I can bought it for some reasonable price, don't care about quality (that's why my home is junk piled up with games, 90% of which I don't even know what they are).
Noncommercial games - Whenever it is a complete AGS game.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS! They need to be playable with my dinosaurus computers at least!

- strong
- has special abilities (no matter it's just stealing ability of a thief, or something like SUPAPOWA)
- wears a cape (so Spiderman is just a hero with SUPAPOWA but he is NOT a SUPAHERO)

No, because 100% of the time they don't represent what the games are REALLY like, unless I see boobs.

FruitTree

-great puzzles
-story telling
-lots of great characters

if you need to use your brains more then your reflexes

screenshots, story, developer

screenshots, a bit of the story, what kind of game it is (funny, serious etc.)

-wears underwear over his pants
-has a cape
-nobody knows he's a superhero

images are very important they show the atmosphere of a game.

Magintz unplugged

Hay, thanks guys, just had to edit out the word boobs and correct some spelling, otherwise everything is great, you've really helped me out a lot, I don't need any more answers, what I have is fine, now comes the tricky part.

Thanks again, I promise that when all this is done I'll show you the final result :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk