Programming competition

Started by Robert Eric, Thu 28/08/2003 21:51:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Eric

This is a proposal for a programming competition.  What I have in mind is for people to try to create something that does what I say it should.  For example, I may say: "Create an 8-bit fading program.  You must have the program fade out to black, then fade back in.  You must make your own functions to this task.  You may not use the built-in fading functions to do this," then anyone can upload the program and post it for judging.  Whoever can do this and have the code as efficient and quick as possible will win.  This competition may be useful for people to practice their programming abilities in AGS and newbies to be able to see some cool code.  What do you think?
Ã, Ã, 

Evil

I brought this up before but nobody seemed to really like it enough to start one... I still think it is a good idea...

Robert Eric

(Well, since it's me, everyone will like the idea this time!)

j/k
Ã, Ã, 

remixor

Quote from: Robert Eric on Thu 28/08/2003 21:55:27

j/k

Brilliant!  Genius!  Excellent idea!  Man, it's a good thing someone like Evil didn't bring this up already;  I wouldn't have been interested at all.

(jk)
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Eggie

Yeeeess...

A way to prove I can programin AGS without actually having to commit to a game, GENIUS!

PeaceMan

Quote from: Eggie on Fri 29/08/2003 10:36:56
Yeeeess...

A way to prove I can programin AGS without actually having to commit to a game, GENIUS!

Ditto.

Although that doen't mean I'm not working on a game it means I don't have to rush one out.

Great idea.

Barcik

I have been entertaining thoughts of doing a competition, but in a slightly different manner. As it seems I have failed in creating proper rules, I'm all for this one.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Temporary

Sounds good!   8)

I've done some coding in AGS before, but I'm afraid my skills are not exactly up to date.  :-[

I'm currently working on plot and graphics for my game, and this would help getting my programming back to a (semi-)decent standard before starting on the game code.

Will be checking in to see what comes out of this....

Nacho

Quote from: remixor on Fri 29/08/2003 07:58:55
Quote from: Robert Eric on Thu 28/08/2003 21:55:27

j/k

Brilliant!  Genius!  Excellent idea!  Man, it's a good thing someone like Evil didn't bring this up already;  I wouldn't have been interested at all.

(jk)

I don´t know the reason why you name John Kennedy every time you write something funny...  ???  ???  ???
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Evil

Yeah, same here farlander... And why do they say White Boy every time I come back from being idle on irc?

remixor

ROFL!!11  CIA!!  LOL!!!  BBQ!!1
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

m0ds

Robert Eric

Oh, did I mention it has to be with AGS?  I don't want to have to stare blankly at a project with twenty files and complicated C++ code that only the japanese kid down the street can help me figure out.
Ã, Ã, 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk