Major TLJ problems

Started by remixor, Thu 04/09/2003 09:07:36

Previous topic - Next topic

remixor

Preface: I really wasn't sure where this topic should go.  It's quite possible this is the wrong forum, so I apologize in advance if that's the case.  I know this forum is labeled "non-technical" but I am acting under the assumption that means "non-AGS-technical."  I can't think of any other forum that would work.  Again, sorry if this is the wrong place.

Warning: possibly minor (REALLY minor) spoilers.  I'm talking miniscule.

Hi all.  I started playing TLJ some time ago, and due to limiting events far too numerous to mention, I am still only in Chapter 3.  One of the biggest problems I've faced is a veritable onslaught of technical problems that seem determined not to let me enjoy this game.  I am running Windows 2000 (and, yes, I'm fully aware that the game was designed for 95/98--the installer tells me so every time I've installed.  And before you ask, yes, I have reinstalled many, many times.).  Sometimes the game just crashes in completely random spots.  But not only does the game crash, it takes my whole PC down with it, and the whole thing just instantly reboots.  When I get everything up and running again and load my save file (which hopefully isn't too far back), the game won't necessarily crash in the same spot, but rather somewhere completely different.  There are no patterns whatsoever.  Furthermore, sometimes when I attempt to start the game, I get errors that some memory is missing.  It recommended in the readme (I think, or maybe the FAQ) that if something like this happens to just reinstall.  Well, I've done that probably almost a dozen times now.  Sometimes I have to reinstall multiple times before the game will let me start.  Again, there is no patter that I can see.  Totally random.  In fact, as I write this, I am reinstalling the game for the third time this evening.  I have snuck my way into the police stations more times than I care to count at this point.  On to the next problem!  Sometimes unchecking "use 3d acceleration" from the preliminary game menu will allow me to start the game and will result in me not getting an error message.  However, doing it this way generally results in the game loading up in a tiny little pseudo-window in the upper-left of my screen (though it's not actually a window, it's just the game running really small).  After the Funcom logo thing ends, the game returns fully to Windows and when I try to restore it, it just minimizes itself again and I have no choice but to ctrl-alt-delete and end the task.

This is driving me crazy, as I'm sure you can imagine.  I bought this game quite literally four months ago and in that amount of time, where am I?  I'm at the bloody police station.  I could have played this much in a day or two if I hadn't had any of these problems.  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  Funcom's website isn't very helpful and their one patch doesn't apply to my situation at all.

Please help! :(
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Minimi

Well, I didn't had much crashes orso, but I did have had that the sound was very shocky! I didnt like that. like he-he-lo-lo-lo i-i am fion-na-na... like that. But I finished the game long time ago, and I can only suggest you install win95 ;D... im waiting in the meantime for TLJ2 ;)

Ali

http://www.longestjourney.com/help/faq/

Have you been here? It has some answers to technical questions (includng minimi's sound), and an option to write to the makers for help.

The Longest Journey ought to run on 98, it was designed to, and it worked fine for me even in XP. It's a great game which you should be able to enjoy. good luck.

remixor

Ali: Yeah, I have been to that site, and I'm planning on writing them an email.  I'm not holding out for much hope with that method, but I will indeed give it a shot.  I know the game was designed for 98, but it jus isn't feasable for me to run 98 on this machine (believe me, if I could, I would).  It's a laptop so all the hardware requires special drivers, which Toshiba only provides for 2000 and XP.

Minimi

remixor, try emulating win98 in xp. You do this by rightclick at the exe of the game, then properties, and then the last tab, where you can select the render method.

remixor

As I said, I have win2000.

AGA

I have Windows 2000, and I got it running, after applying the patch and reading the special instructions on the site Ali mentioned...

remixor

I unfortunately have tried those things to no avail... I'm planning on buying a desktop sometime soon if I can get the money, maybe I'll just wait until I can run 98 on that.  

MillsJROSS

Whenever I have any problems with my game, especially, memory problems. I press ctrl+alt+del go to the processes tab and end processes that my game doesn't need to function. I have XP so it might be slightly different on 2000, but I remember it being similar, when I did have 2000. TLJ works fine on my system, and XP hasn't yet given me problems with this game in particular. Try that and tell me what happens. Other than that, save often, like after every puzzle. That's what years of playing old Sierra games taught me to do.

Goodluck in your adventuring, TLJ, is a great and fun game when it works.

-MillsJROSS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk