Old Sprite Jams?

Started by veryweirdguy, Mon 08/09/2003 11:34:36

Previous topic - Next topic

veryweirdguy

Before I start:

For those who don't know, the Sprite jams used to take place on #ags (IRC) before someone (I think it was Layabout) moved them to the forums as a regular thing.

Now, all this happened before I became a member, so I wanted to know just how it all worked. Did you decide on a topic and then meet up after an hour? Was there a special channel for it?

I would like for these 'old skool' jams to be revived. I think we could create some great stuff with them.

Anyway, what do you think? Ideas?

Pessi

That would be really cool! I used to just watch and never really attend those jams. So, I probably am not the best person to explain how they worked.

They're great fun, if there are enough people to join the jammin', I think it would be a great idea. Would be great to check out some of those masterpieces Helm cooks up once again.

Privateer Puddin'

never knew they were done in irc, i thought it was just in the crits lounge .. guess the crits lounge hasnt always been there :)

BOYD1981

the way most irc compos are done is somebody hosts, they decide the time limit and theme (if there is one), then once people are done they send you their entries, and once everyone has sent their's or the time limit is reached, you compile a votepack and upload it to a site, then everyone downloads it and votes for them in order of which one they like best, it's usually done by filenames and the authors are kept anonymous until voting is over, so if six people entered and the filenames were 1.gif 2.gif 3.gif 4.gif 5.gif and 6.gif, people would go look at them then get send the host a message with their votes something like this:
1. 4.gif
2. 1.gif
3. 5.gif
4. 2.gif
5. 6.gif
6. 3.gif

then once everyone has voted you count up the scores and announce them with the filename and author...

or atleast that's how i always used to host music compos, the only real difference in those was that the host also made a sample pack...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Esseb

We would just got bored and decide to do a sprite jam. Someone would come up with a theme. This someone being the first one to think of something. If it was crap someone else would think of something. A colour limit would be decided on. Mostly 256 or 16 colours, whoever was the most vocal got it his way. Then you'd draw and upload it somewhere when you were done. If eric could be arsed to he'd upload them to kafka.

Basically very informal. No winners were chosen and most entries were crap. Just a way to waste time.

AGA

MrColossal

yea there was no time limit and there were no winners

someone would just say "jammitty jam jam?" and we'd start jamming

one hasn't happened for a long time actually, hour games took over for a little while and layabout took sprite jamming to the boards.

i tried to set up a time for everyone to be online but decided it was futile and just decided to jam whenever it was wanted. I had everyone's time zone written down and i started trying to decide on a time when I realized that I'd probably have to stay up until one thousand and four a clock and that's-a no gooooood-a!

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk