AGS 2.56 Divx Playing Problem

Started by j-Hed, Tue 09/09/2003 12:32:19

Previous topic - Next topic

j-Hed

There is a Div-x sequence that I want to play but when it plays the colors are all wrong.
I have made this game in ver. 2.53 ( and running it in ver. 2.56)but I don't think that it's the problem. Now it won't even run the game in ver. 2.53 after I ran it on 2.56.
When I play it in windows media player it works perfectly.

I hope someone can help me...Thanks!

Ferret

DivX video runs at a 24bit colour depth, while AGS only runs at 16bit colour. The reason for the funky colours is because DivX has very crappy realtime video downsampling (read : it can't convert a 24bit image to 16bit on the fly). I'd suggest using a different video codec or bug CJ to implement 24/32 bit colour depth.

Privateer Puddin'

we'll have it one day, worry not :p

j-Hed

The strange thing is, that it worked perfectly with all colors etc. in AGS ver. 2.53.

Is there a difference between ver. 2.56 color depth and 2.53's?

Ferret

I doubt it.  What version / flavour DivX are you using?

j-Hed

I'm not sure which version it was, I made it last winter.

j-Hed

the encoder is that DivxPro502GAINbundel thingy (don't know about the version 502 though)

Pumaman

The AGS AVI code hasn't changed recently, so I'm unsure why it would work in 2.53 and not in 2.56. The only thing I can suggest at this point is to try re-encoding it with a different codec and see if that helps at all.

xenogia

What codec's do you recommend other than DivX?

Ferret

I'm using the Vp3 Codec. Can't really find many other decent codecs nowdays.

Does AGS run Bink video?

Pumaman

For maximum compatibility, use MPEG-1 - that way, nobody has to download and install the codec before playing your game. File sizes can be a bit large though.

No, AGS does not support Bink (it's a proprietary standard and would require me to pay money to use it).

DinghyDog

MPEG-1 can be great, all the shows I record on my computer (I have a splitter for my cable internet that plugs into a co-axial port on the back of my VAIO...heh) turn out pretty low for video standards. 15 minutes is 180 or so megabytes, and then if you compress them with one program or another, they're still good quality and can be really useful.

-DD
It's yer owld pal Dinghy Dog!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk