No more forum word games, please.

Started by DGMacphee, Tue 09/09/2003 12:47:34

Previous topic - Next topic

remixor

Without trying to sound like a suck-up...
CJ: If I were to have created something like AGS and run a forum devoted to it, I don't think I could ever hope to achieve your level of fairness and patience.  Friggin ludicrous.  Good job.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Gilbert

Actually in my opinion such word games can be fun

IF DONE RIGHT.

The problem is that they are hard to manage and they become repetitive and boring/messy soon afterwards. One of the reason is that the rules are not strictly enough. For example in the word association game, I'd suggest two more rules for it to work:
1. each single member can only post one reply there within 24 hours
2. words that had been posted before cant be used again

However the situation was that it's quite hard to make people in a large community to follow rules (like the M$Paint game, but as finding/making a pic to post is considered technically harder than just typing a word, that game is still in control), for example people would be too tempted to post A LOT in the thread, thus breaking rule 1, for rule 2, it's quite hard to keep track of old words when the second page had been reached. So basically we still get a messy ending.

So my suggestion is, unless you come up with a REALLY ingenious idea (with working rules), just keep this forum free from these kind of games for now.

MillsJROSS

QuoteI don't have an opinion on this topic, but I'd like to correct that Photoshop Phriday/MS Paint Game takes no more bandwidth from the site than a word game. Images are hosted elsewhere.

For the most part this is true, but quick download of word game pages vs. pages full of pictures shows that there is about a three to four KB difference. While this is nothing remarkably different, over time this difference may add up, that and I want to be difficult. However, as bandwidth is not a problem there is no use arguing either one.

And pretty much word games are fun, but be responsible. Simple as that. A 24 hour rule, I believe would also be a good idea. I get more annoyed when I see three or four people on one page posting back and forth to each other, within an hour. However, if it game like these annoy people, they simply have the option of ignoring them.

So yeah...and gilbert's post is pretty much accurate to what should be. And DG's anger at these word games is not unjustified. The end.

-MillsJROSS

sure. I'll respect the wish of a veteran. I knew this would come to an end.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

AGA

Quote from: 12431 on Wed 10/09/2003 19:38:15
sure. I'll respect the wish of a veteran. I knew this would come to an end.

Hmm... you do, eh. In that case, I wish you would steal me several cars, and rob some banks for me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk