Capitals in forums names

Started by SSH, Fri 12/09/2003 14:18:26

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

I propose that anyone joining the forums, as well as having to pass the (needing updating again) quiz, also has to use a username that doesn't have too many capital letters in. What with the uNdEaD and the YOKE and the PSOne, there's just too many caps... why do we need all this shotuing!!!  

;) ;) ;) ;)

Thanks to CJ for reminding me of the notice...

Ginny

Did you notice you name is all caps? ;)

Anyway this might be a good idea, though it might not neccessarily work.
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

YOke

That's YOke and not YOKE. There's a difference...  :P
but you are free to say/think it as loudly or quietly as you want.  ;)

Enlightenment is not something you earn, it's something you pay for the rest of your life.

Nacho

Eeer... That doesn´t make sense for me... The aim is to earn Capitals as older we are or something?

???
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Privateer Puddin'

nope, just correct use of them in names.

SSH

Yes, I was aware that both my alias and my username have more capitals than words...  that's why I put so many smilies!

AGA

Yeah, but SSH and AGA both stand for something, so every letter should be capitalised...

BOYD1981

i agree, some nicks with mixed caps are hard to read, but if only a few people feel this way then why should it enforced?

BOYD is also acronym by the way

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Pumaman

I don't think mIxEd CaSe needs to be banned. If people want to humiliate themselves by thinking that it's cool, why should we stand in their way.  ;)

taryuu

is this really a problem?  is it really affecting someone negativley?  it's juast a couple of capitals for christ's sake.  have a cinnabon and calm the fuck down.
I like having low self-esteem.  It makes me feel special.

taryuu?

SSH

I remember bulletin boards back in '91, when the idea of smilies was quite new but was useful to indicate to those of limited irony-detecting ability when something was a joke. It seems that they must not mean that anymore because everyone is taking this thread so seriously.

Anyway, it's not the nicknames I object to, it's thew poeple that use them  ;D ;D ;D

YES THAT WAS IRONIC, OK!!!!11!!!!

Pumaman

Oooh, this gives me an opportunity to bring those new smileys we did out of the closet:

:P

Evil

It saddens me that I was born without the ablitity to learn to understand sarcasm...

Scummbuddy

If you don't want to talk to me, then fine!

(Walks away from Dave Foley at the party)

Dave:  "No really, people think I don't care, but I really do."
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

OneThinkingGal and ._.

yEs, itS vErY cOOl tO wrITe lIke tHiS!

The main problem with mixed case, and I don't think most people realise this, because they read without knowing how they read, is that we read words not letters. Its the same for all-caps writing, its hard to read because the words are not in the pattern we are used to.

We  start out c-a-t-cat in school but then as we get more accustomed to reading, we pictorially see the word completely. That's the entire basis of speed-reading.

MillsJROSS

Mills-Jay-Ross for any of those who wondered how I pronounce it. I'm fine with making up my own ideas for names, I'm still fascinated by pleurghberg.

-MillsJROSS

DGMacphee

I also hate it when people put all their name in lower case -- Pfft losers, let's make them pass the test, then ban them imediately!  ;)
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Evil

Thats why I made my 'e' a big one. It makes me feel special. :D

Gilbert

I have no problem with those mixed case nicks, mixed case only annoys me if they're used eXcEsSiVeLy in a post cOnTeNt.

BTW Pumaman, do you remember that, when we're testing these pre-YABB "beta" board, there're quite a selection of interesting "smileys"? ;D
Is it possible to bring them over here now?

Robert Eric

<------- Nope, nothing wrong here.  Never was.
Ã, Ã, 

TerranRich

So you're saying terranRICH is not COOL!?

Hey, what am I doing posting on the forums! Bah!

Ishmael

My nick all uppercase since they initials... I could use the irc alt "TeeKay", which I pronouce it also as... that make sence? And btw. I make up a load of wierd names when thinking on my game ideas and plots, all before played pleurghburg... :P
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk