Pilot Light

Started by blender81, Fri 12/09/2003 23:02:46

Previous topic - Next topic

blender81

PILOT LIGHT - pilot.zip (2.43mb)
A space pilot, a 2-ton cargo box, a simple assignment, and a serious case of bad luck.

This is my first AGS game. It is short, and is quite easy. I would love to hear comments.

-brendon

Crimz

Wow! Just downloaded, already playing. The interface took a minute of getting used to, but it's nice to not have to switch through cursor after cursor to find what I need! :) I  love the way you started out and how the story goes on from there. Good graphics and animation.

Gotta tell ya, you're gold! Make more!

foz

Very impressive .
If this is your first try i look forward to future releases.

Only thing that was missing was background music.

but the graphics and the gui interface are a lot better than most.

I hate games that use the sierra gui.

keep up the good work.
foz

Teh Crabe

Very nice work.  I like the drawing style.  It's actually quite similar to mine.  We probably share a few influences.  I look forward to seeing more games.  

I agree that dropping in nearly anything for background music would have made it even better.  Did you happen to use the Open Source Disc World interface, or did you use your own?  Either way, nice implementation.
"You are too pessimistic, you always see the empty side of the glass. Try to see the half-sized side." -Gord10

Thorgal

Great game! But please add some music!

evilspacefart

finished it. puzzles are simple but logical.
lots of animations and cut scenes.
sure it needed some music, but considering the detail put into the game, it's still very impressive.
great work!  8)

Vel

Artistically, it is really nice, but other than that, I think that the game has almost nothing to offer. The puzzles are really easy, though logical. No music. Nice cutscenes. Simple plot. Anyway, looking forward to playing more games from you.

PeaceMan

I liked the graphics and cutscenes.

I found the the part where you have to start your ship interesting as it adds something a little different to the walking around and finding objects part of the game.

Are the cutscenes room animations like in FLASHBAX?

blender81

thanks for all the comments! this was my test-bed game, and I'm glad that it turned out well.

I'll be sure to include some midi files next time.

teh crabe: I wrote the interface myself. It works for the most part, except for the floating hotspot name that sometimes obstructs the cursor.

peaceman: the cutscenes are .fli animations made with autodesk animator.

magintz

Considering I've been round for 2 years or something now, its more than i've done, so congrats :D
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

GarageGothic

Excellent game. I adore the player character graphics, I'd love to see further adventures with this girl (do we learn her name, I didn't notice?). Great use of cut scenes, those swish-pans are so cool.

As others have said it could use more sound and music, but the graphics are so lovely that you hardly notice. Starting the ship reminded me of the biplane in Indy 3, but fortunately it was much easier. In general the puzzles were good, but on the easy side. The interface worked great and looked very professional. Even the wait-icon was beautifully drawn.

May I ask how the art was made? Some of the backgrounds reminded me of the technique I'm using for Shadowplay with a handdrawn sketch as a multiply-layer in Photoshop. Only you have more contrast making the outlines look almost photocopied. Very cool look and it works excellent with that style of characters. I wish that I could draw stylized people that well.

This was a very impressive first effort. I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next!

blender81

garagegothic: it sounds like our artwork methods are quite similar.

I messily hand-draw the pencil art, scan it in. Then in photoshop, I use image > adjust > threshold to get the photocopy-look for the lineart. This in turn becomes the lineart layer, just like you are doing.

If I had more time and patience, I would use multiply layers, though. They look much more natural, almost like paintings.

straston

I like the game too, but I'm stuck.

Spoiler

How do I get the engine for the boat?
I have the debit card and the bottle opener with string.
The monkey won't let me have the engine, so I probably have to enter
the jail...
But I can't pass the outer gate.
I also don't know what to do with the clothes on the line...
[close]

straston

OK, I already did it... thanks. ;)

Pet Terry

Very nice! I loved the cutscenes, aswell as graphics and things. Only bad thing was that there wasn't any music as everyone else said :P By the way... if you want some music, I would like to do some midis for you :P Send me a private message if you are interested ;)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Nostradamus

Real fun game!
And the animated cutscenes were awesome!

I hope to see longer games from you soon!

jason

Awesome game man! I loved the art style, and the animations and transitions owned. Also, the interface was excellent and you really did give the whole package.

Crits: too short and too easy (but not necessarily a bad thing). Music would've been great.

I'm definitely looking forward to more from you. Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to create this gem?

Dave

I love this game, the style of the art is great. The puzzles are easy to say the least and it didnt take me long to finish at all but thats not too bad.
when you make more games, which im very sure you will, ill download them for sure.

top notch, just a little easy and short.

blender81

thanks!

jason: It took about two weeks to complete. This is my first game, so I just wanted something small and manageable to test the waters with.

Kweepa

Lovely - thanks!
Some great details in there.
If this is what you can do in two weeks, I look forward to your next game - next month!

Cheers,
Steve
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Alexis Vale

Great graphics! I don't really care for background music, so it was good for me. I loved the sound effects. The instruction manuel was really cool. I liked it. This was a good game. Nice choice of color and fonts. The puzzles were simple, but it was a good short game. I liked the cut scenes also. Nice backgrounds...

Joseph DiPerla

WOW Great Game! I would compare it to being just as good as Larry Valles and Rob Blanc as far as story goes.

I like the Story. The graphics are great. You got a unique style that I like a lot.

Out of 10, I give this game an 11, just becouse this was your first game.

Just a few suggestions:

Background music would enhance the game a lot. AS well as footsteps sounds.

The puzzles were to easy. I finished the game in less than an hour. You might want to try and make a future game longer and more difficult to get trhough.

But, I hope I didn't discourage you. You made an awesome game. Which is more than I have to say for myself.

JD
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

jane

I agree - great game - puzzles maybe a little too easy and definitely needs music

tootsie69

sweet and short, perhaps too short. Great graphics, shame about lack of background music. Keep up the good work - but next time round something abit longer and harder.

Cool

MrColossal

i think the best thing about the game was it had style...

it had real nice style... the things appearing in the beginning during their conversation... the cutscenes, the panning, the humour.

it was all great. i think the ship starting scene was great, it's not a puzzle but it's an awesome way to get one into the game.

this is an amazing first effort and i can't wait to see more from you.

and is it just me or is vel needlessly critical? This doesn't have anything else to offer but it's art? how rude, man.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Pesty

I just got around to playing this game tonight. It has definately made it into my favorite AGS games. I knew it would the minute I started playing.

The art, the animation, the humor. It was all really nicely done. I liked the puzzles, because they were easy, but not so easy as to be dissapointing. And those were some great cutscenes. The lack of music doesn't bother me in the least, because it didn't really need it. Some music sets the mood for a game, but this game set the mood using other elements, like dialogue and art, enough to work well without music.

I am definately looking forward to more games from you. So you'd better make more.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

remixor

This was excellent!  Awesome stuff.  Ignore Vel, he's just being Vel.  It's rare to see a first game (hell, any game) of this overall finish and quality.

As others have mentioned, the puzzles were a bit obvious, but that wasn't really the point of this game. Sytlistically it was absolutely top-notch, and I really liked your dialogue.  It was very natural.

It goes without saying that your cutscenes ruled.  That brings me to a question: was the reason the game was almost 10MB because of the cutscenes?   I don't mind at all, I'm just wondering since 10 megs seems a bit large for a game of this length.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

PureGhostGR

I've just finished it, and I must say it was brilliant.

You have worked with the engine in a very different way than most of the other games I've played, and that is good.

Also the cutscenes where great.. Adding atmosphere and keeping the player wanting to see more.

Provided this is your first adventure, I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future.

Excellent work. :)

jason

Quote from: MrColossal on Wed 15/10/2003 05:27:07
and is it just me or is vel needlessly critical?
It's not just you. This game was extremely well-done.

biorogue

anyone know where I can get the game....link does not work

marlamoe

Cute game.  Played it in just a few minutes.  I would love to see a longer game from you.

TassieDevil

Quote from: jason on Wed 15/10/2003 20:08:48
Quote from: MrColossal on Wed 15/10/2003 05:27:07
and is it just me or is vel needlessly critical?
It's not just you. This game was extremely well-done.

I second this as well! Great game and well done!

I don't care about background music, usually I turn the speakers off if there is music and actually some midi music crashes my computer :(

hedgefield

Excellent stuff. Perfect bite-sized game with a great atmosphere. And I'm running out of variations to say what's already been said...

Keep up the good work!

Candle

I'm sure if he ever comes back he will . hahahaha look at the last post..

Rosie

Very Good........... And this was your first ags game???? Amazing.

You have great talent and hope to see more from you in the future..................

CosmoQueen

The download link won't work for me :(
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

qptain Nemo

Really nice game! There're even shorter games, so I liked it very much. Very nice graphics and animation indeed, charming main character, good humour and excellent scripting !
And definetely it misses its own music. :)
Waiting for sequels. :)
edit: Almost forgot!!  Reference to Another World was very pleasuring to find! ;)

Khris

Quote from: CosmoQueen on Sun 14/05/2006 06:32:39

Try Wretched's link from 2006-05-09.

Hammerite

Quote from: captain Nemo on Sun 14/05/2006 12:02:38
edit: Almost forgot!!Ã,  Reference to Another World was very pleasuring to find! ;)
you must REALLY love Another World.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

CosmoQueen

Thanks a lot! I totally missed that ;D

Quote from: KhrisMUC on Sun 14/05/2006 12:46:22
Quote from: CosmoQueen on Sun 14/05/2006 06:32:39

Try Wretched's link from 2006-05-09.

Traveler

Very good and entertaining game, thanks! :)

CosmoQueen

I just finished the game and I can't believe this is your first!!! Everthing was perfect!! You are brilliant and I can't wait for your next game!!! ;D ;D ;D

buloght

I second cosmoqueen! Very excellent game  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk