Now THIS is a cool 3d engine.

Started by rodekill, Sat 20/09/2003 00:44:52

Previous topic - Next topic

rodekill

SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Flippy_D

TheYak

Ken Silverman?  I could be wrong but wasn't he the guy who made Ken's Labyrinth?

Shattered Sponge

Yup, Yak; and he creted the Build engine, too - browse around his site and you find loadsa info.

Wow.  I hadn't seen this in a while, but it looks much, MUCH better then when I last looked.

Hobbes

Ooooh, then someone can finally make Outcast 2. :)

Looking good!

Ciro Durán

It's Ken Silverman! :o,  w00t, no wonder why that engine looks so  damn pretty cool.

Trapezoid

Heh, fun.
I completely leveled the place.

Then I got creative with the scorch marks:

(That's an S, not a 5.)

Nellie

Holy crap, blowing up the environment is fun.  I'd give my left armpit to see rocket launchers have that effect in Unreal Tournament.

And all that from a 500 measly kilobytes download, too.

Ghormak

If that thing had realistic physics it'd be the coolest thing ever.
Achtung Franz! The comic

Snake

AG5?2?!!

hehe

Sweet stuff, thanks Rode, downloading now...

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

MrColossal

wow Scid and i went on a "what the fuck are voxels?" crusade a few years ago and i found his page, i would love to know what games would be like if voxels were chosen over polygons...

i emailed him and asked him how it was going and if we'd ever get to peek at the new engine and he said soon.

2 years soon

downloading now

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

BOYD1981

something like this perhaps...

it's a screenie from Outcast btw...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Flippy_D

auhsor

Heh, that looks cool. Gonna download now.

Hmm, i don't really know what voxels are, but i think i got an idea...

BOYD1981

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Hobbes

Argh!

Seeing that screenshot makes me want to install Outcast on my machine again... that game was just *too* good to be true.

And is also available on The Underdogs, if I'm not mistaken.... ;)

So, yeah, voxels are great. The only problem is that they're not accelerated with today's 3D hardware. This was one of the reasons why Outcast never really became a hype. Lots of computers back then couldn't play it properly. That, and the absurdly low resolution, of course.

Nellie

Yeah, Outcast was amazing.  But why oh why did they stick in that ridiculous LESN FLAER?

Krynge

? I've never seen anything like this before!!! a 500k file inflates into over 120mb, and the worlds look awesome!!! How is this done without solids (polys I mean)???

TheYak

Voxel stands for volume-pixel.  In typical 3D, we have points connected to make lines and 3 lines together forming a triangle (Of course, some 3d apps don't use only triangles but 3D games do).  The problem with this is that for a realistic scene we need 3 sets of coordinates (in x,y,z) for every triangle and then attributes for the triangle (Texture, alpha, masking, shadowing, bumpmap, environment map, etc.)  It adds up to a lot of data for even the description of a simple box.  

With volume-pixels, each "pixel" is not one "dot" on your monitor but rather a 3-dimensional cube.  Imagine a landscape made out of building blocks and you get the general idea.  Since each voxel is a small part of the whole, it can be assigned simply 1 color based on the color scheme of the whole.  It requires only 1 set of coordinates - placing this "block" in 3d-space.  The amount of data is reduced greatly and any shadowing or other lighting effects are generated to the map as a whole.  The downside to voxels is that you can only be as detailed as the number of voxels generated, depending of the size of them.  So, if you've got decent hardware CPU-wise and memory-wise then a modern voxel app can generate a nicely detailed scene.  

Hobbes

Quote from: Nellie on Sun 21/09/2003 11:22:21
Yeah, Outcast was amazing.  But why oh why did they stick in that ridiculous LESN FLAER?

True. :) But in that game, it didn't really bother me that much.

Did you hear Outcast 2 got cancelled? Very, very big loss for the gaming community there. Appeal is bankrupt, and the project is lost. For more info: http://www.outcastii.net/eng/index_eng.php

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk