Technical assistance please.

Started by Flippy_D, Tue 23/09/2003 20:28:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Flippy_D

I have a printer. It connects via USB. There is nothing wrong with the USB port or cable and it shows in my devices list as [Generic USB- Lexmark X74]. However. When I install from CD it doesn't work, it just installs some files. When I try add printer, I get as far as selecting the port, where I can choose from three COM ports, one FILE and one LTP1. There is no USB port to choose there. My question is, how do I get the system to recognise that I have a USB port there (outside of the devices list)? If someone can help me I shall be able to install the printer and actually print off somewhat vital files like GCSE coursework and the like.

Thank you.

TheYak

Have you tried unplugging the printer from the USB port and removing the drivers?  Once they're removed and you plugged the printer back in it should kick the prompt up for drivers..  As far as the drivers go, you could try extracting them to a directory Vs. using the installation program.  If it forces an installation then let it install before plugging the printer back in so it'll be able to find the drivers.  Also, I recommend checking for updated drivers on Lexmark's site.  I had weird printer non-recognition problems when using my Lexmark z54 with USB 2.0 until I updated the drivers.

taryuu

I agree, check the site for updates and patches.  i had some problems with a printer untill i downloaded a 8 MEGABYTE PATCH from their download site.  now that's a serious patch.
I like having low self-esteem.  It makes me feel special.

taryuu?

Flippy_D

Well I tried downloading the drivers, and I did fine but none of the apps/exes seem to do anything. As for the suggestion, thanks, I'll write that down then sue you when my hard drive melts.

taryuu

sue yak first, it was all his idea.
I like having low self-esteem.  It makes me feel special.

taryuu?

Pumaman

If you're using win98, I think you have to do something wibbly to map the printer to an LPT1 port, but the drivers should do it for you.

Win2k/xp should just see it on the USB and work.

Flippy_D

Before I try this digital triple bypass, I need some things clarifying:

Quote from: YakSpit on Tue 23/09/2003 23:26:26
...you could try extracting them to a directory Vs. (a what?) using the installation program (Which one? the printer or driver?).  If it forces an installation (for what?) then let it install before plugging the printer back in so it'll be able to find the drivers...

Thanks.

TheYak

Quote from: YakSpit on Tue 23/09/2003 23:26:26
...you could try extracting them to a directory Vs. (a what?) using the installation program (Which one? the printer or driver?).  If it forces an installation (for what?) then let it install before plugging the printer back in so it'll be able to find the drivers...

To clarify. If the installation drivers you download from Lexmark launch into an install routine automatically (and assuming the install routine doesn't do it for you) then you could try extracting them (using Winrar, etc.) to a directory.  When you've removed the driver from the system hardware settings and removed USB plug, it ought to allow it to reset it's device installation.  When you plug it back in, it ought to ask for drivers.  You point it to your extraction path.  

In troubleshooting, given the symptoms you've described... I (personally) would:

1) unplug printer from USB port (Either at USB jack or connecting to printer, whichever brings a smile to your cheery little face)

2) Uninstall previous drivers.  Use the uninstall option if one was placed in your start menu, if not then using the Add/Remove programs dialog as well as deleting any lexmark entry in the Printers section of the control panel.

3) If I were into being thorough, I'd look at the driver file names and delete all instances from my windows directories.  I would also remove instances of Lexmark from my registry (but only those keyed to the Lexmark company (e.g. Not a lexmark entry for Adobe Photoshop, etc.))

4) If the driver is of the auto-install type, you would either run it first and then plug the printer in (normal routine) or plug the printer in and then run the install, ignoring the prompt for a driver disk.  If you have extracted the drivers or they don't auto-install, plug the printer back in and, when prompted, browse to the extraction directory.

Of course, all this assumes this is merely a Windoze-blows kind of error.  If not, it may be a conflict with your USB-IRQ which you can change via Windows System or BIOS.  I don't know what OS you're using so I didn't even touch this one.

Flippy_D

I'm running ME.

Man, this looks tricky. I'll write it down (damn printer) and show it to Dad.

TheYak

The only differences ME would cause would be: 1) If the hardware manager is different than 98.  Being based on a 2000 kernel, I believe it's still accessible, just takes a bit more hunting.  If there's an uninstall in the start menu, than finding add/remove programs is unnecessary.  As far as the printer's windows-system files, the Printers section ought to be the same in all Windoze versions.  2) The driver files from Lexmark ...  I don't know about the popularity of ME in driver updates.  

If you have any difficulties or would like exact information, my dad's got ME on his computer and I could fiddle with that for specifics.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk