September MAGS - Puddy Penguin

Started by Minimi, Tue 23/09/2003 20:50:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimi

UPDATE 25/11/03 - For those that couldn't reach the yeti, I fixed the bug!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FINAL UPDATE! - Walking speed some more adjusted. Bugs with meeting the yeti are removed. Bugs at the home of Boris are removed. All other minor bugs and spelling faults are fixed.
Please download the game one more time, if you have already downloaded it! ;)
UPDATE! - Walking speed is increased abit, and some bugs have been solved. If there are any more bugs, do not hesitate to post about them!

Yippeeeee!!! I finally finished my first game ever! This game is for MAGS of this month, and I really hope you like it!

Story/plot : You are the Penguin Puddy, and you live at Antartica. A monster is visiting your hometown, and your town is in danger. You will meet and handle with this monster in this little game called Puddy Penguin!

Game Facts :

16 Bit Colours
All graphics, sound and dialog made by me!
1 backgroundmusic composed by me
5 characters to talk to
10 rooms
Uses the GUI, of Sam&Moos, my game that is coming soon.
animated background, and some animations.
2 different endings
Makes usage of the awesome snowplugin!
and ofcourse alot of humor!!

I hope you like the game! As I said this is my first game, and I'm very curious about what you people think of it! I hope there aren't too many bugs in it. I tried to get them all out, so it should be fine ;) !

Well... what can I say more than only give you the downloadlink and let you play, and judge for yourself.
One more thing. I'm never using bad language, or violence like blood in games, so you can surely let little children also play the game ;)

DOWNLOAD LINK :

http://www.agsforums.com/games.php?action=detail&id=271

Have Phun!
Minimi

PS: IT IS VIRUS CLEAN! ;)

Ishmael

I like it very much allready, allthough haven't played much yet! :D
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

taryuu

my norton antivirus detected a virus in the zip file. win32.pinfi

then it said that the file was repaired.  and now the game won't run.

here's the log

Source: Penguin.exe
Description: The compressed file Penguin.exe within C:\Stuff\penquin.zip is infected with the W32.Pinfi virus.
Click for more information about this virus : W32.Pinfi

anyone who downloaded the game might want to go to this site to see how to remove the virus

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.pinfi.html
Upon executing a file infected with W32.Pinfi, the virus will perform the following:

1. Adds the registry value:

PINF

to the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

2. Appends itself to Explorer.exe to remain memory-resident.

3. Appends itself to all the .EXE and .SCR files that it finds on all the local and mapped drives. The virus contains an algorithm to slow the infection, so the virus will only infect a few files at a time.

4. W32.Pinfi will create a tempfile in the temporary folder. It will get the temporary folder by using a Windows API. The tempfile that this virus creates will always have the following name:

[3 random letters][4 random hexadecimal digits].tmp

The file that the virus creates is a UPX-packed executable file. The virus will execute the temporary file, and it is this file that will attempt to infect files over network shares.

I like having low self-esteem.  It makes me feel special.

taryuu?

Gilbert

Quote from: taryuu on Tue 23/09/2003 23:52:02
and now the game won't run.
In that case, you can try changing the the repaired game executable to ac2game.ags, put acwin.exe into the game's folder and run the game via that acwin.exe.

taryuu

taryuu?

Gilbert

Then probably it "repaired" also the data part of the game, better wait for a new upload.

Minimi

I have cleaned it, and recompiled it, and also removed some bugs out of the game, so it should be working now! ;) ... I hope there are no further complications!

lspace

My anti virus detected the same virus too.  I didn't bother trying to run the game but deleted it unplayed as who knows what else could be in there that Mcafee didn't pick up.

Minimi

cmon, I CLEANED IT!!! Damn.... just play it! :P

taryuu

EDIT - The new version of the game no longer has a virus. for those who downloaded it prior, follow the link for removal instructions.

and also

Spoiler
i can't get into uncle boris' hut.  and i can't go off and see the yeti because i still need "something" i have the knife the map and the fish. what next?
[close]

taryuu?

Totoro

It's a cute game and I love Puddy :) But could you make him walk faster? It takes ages to make him walk from one side of the screen to the other...  :-\
I want pocketmoney!!!

straston

Quote from: Minimi on Wed 24/09/2003 06:15:20
cmon, I CLEANED IT!!! Damn.... just play it! :P

OK, nice and "cute" game... just two strange things:

1. Puddy always faces the wrong direction when talking to anyone...

Spoiler

2. I tried the friendly ending with the map and still get the "you throw the spear" winning screen...
[close]

Minimi

Tnx totoro! I am going to see if I speed him up alittle bit... and I'm also going to fix that bug... just give me a moment... I'm right now at school and going to try updating it here, and if it's not going to work, then ill update it when I get home. I'll let you guys know in the toppost, with update or something.

I'm glad to see you like Puddy, totoro!

Minimi

Quote from: taryuu on Wed 24/09/2003 07:09:11
EDIT - The new version of the game no longer has a virus. for those who downloaded it prior, follow the link for removal instructions.

and also

Spoiler
i can't get into uncle boris' hut.  and i can't go off and see the yeti because i still need "something" i have the knife the map and the fish. what next?
[close]
I have updated the game, and now you CAN enter the home of boris. you need to do something there! Just download the game again! ;)

Minimi

I have fixed some final bugs in the game, so it should be now completley bugless! ;) Have phun!  ;D

Hobbes

Get another midi for it!

I like the game, however I shut my speakers down after 10 seconds. :)

Now, how the frell do I get to the Yeti? I got the stick, found my uncle, talked to everybody, got the knife, sharpened the stick... so what's still to be done?

Minimi

first of all... I worked for more than 2 days on this MIDI,  specially made for this game, so NO sorry, im not going to change it. I like it, and I can't really make a song that EVERYONE likes.

second here is what you still need to do :

Spoiler

look at your own plate in your own house on the table, and you recieve the fish.
goto the professor and give the fish to the professor. The professor will be thankful and gives you a map in return. Once you have the spear and the map you can meet the yeti.
Just a hint : save your game when you meet with the yeti, because there are 2 different endings, depending on what you do.
[close]

Hobbes

I have the spear and the map, but Puddy refuses to go and see the Yeti. He's adamant that I go and do something, yet he doesn't know what...

Minimi

I played the game myself again from the beginning, and downloaded the game, but I CAN come to the Yeti. If you have the map and the spear you should be able to come to the yeti

The only thing I can think of is that you have downloaded an earlier verison with this bug in it, that you can't enter. So I'd say to enter the Yeti download the game again!

And I say it one more time, don't forget to save at that point to view both endings ;)

I hope it will work when you've downloaded the game again!

Paranoia

pmsl coz you sed my puzzles where easy! i have to agree with hobbes the music does go on abit, i downloaded the game 20 mins ago and i can't get to the yeti and i have all the items
found a bug, you can make a spear with the fish! well the message sez you can

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk