Local bands?

Started by Rincewind, Wed 24/09/2003 18:54:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Rincewind

Ah, right -

...Well, as a member of an "underground"-band myself, I have recently started to think about how many good, but unsigned bands there actually are out there - Bands that have no fat record contract or any sleazy manager.
Just in my local area where I live, there are several extremely talented and good bands that definately deserves some more attention, and I can imagine that there's a lot more of them around in the world...

Now, I thought that I could just place some links and descriptions to some of my favourite bands around here, and then if anyone feels like doing something similar... Hey presto - Write it here. If you feel like it, that is.

DYsDaIN
Perhaps nothing for those not interested in the more extreme metal-scene, but for people who are, this band is something above the rest.
Wierd, downtuned and technical riffs stands as a solid background for their two singers, one doing a more "traditional" death metal-growl, and the second one doing more high-pitched screams and also some "clean" vocals. Just to hear that odd contrast on tracks like "You vs. Me", "Armaghetto" and my favourite one - "Dread" - makes my day.
Go download their songs or buy their demo, becuase it's absolutely worth it.  
And just to add a last comment - Possibly one of the best live-band I've ever seen as well. Pure Rock Fury, if i ever saw it...

The Grand Opening
And perhaps the total opposite of above mentioned Dysdain, we have The Grand Opening, a band who plays soft, melancolic pop/rock with vibes from both Red House Painters, Pedro The Lion and Neil Young. Personally I'm more fond of their older, quieter material, but new songs like "A Pair of Shoes" are also great. Check them out.

Volcanic
With sludgy riffs taken right out of the book of desert rockers Kyuss, Volcanic is a cool Stoner Rock-band that should please anyone interested in hard rock of the 70's with a bit of psychadelica in it...  

Hollowhead
Now we're talking pure, agressive metal with a huge influence from Slayer among others, and with some very political lyrics. I still think they could use a better singer, but they are a very promising band none the less.

The High-Heeled Honeys
60's Rock meets 70's Punk? Yep, I think that's the best way of descibing HHH - With only two members and a limited number of chords they rock on, furiously and with the energy of a rabid bulldozer gone berzerk - But not without losing the sense of melody.
Kickass, to say the least.

Well, there - Wasn't that nice?  
Now start supporting your local bands! Yarr.

Evil

Theres a really good rock group here called the Philly Fake Outs. I'll look around, maybe they have a website...

Al_Ninio

Israeli bands for your enjoyment:
Reeds, a sort of punk-ish band, they're pretty good.
Useless ID a pretty famous pop-punk band (they're on www.kungfurecords.com).
Erm, DPA a hardcore-punk band.
Betzefer a metal-ish band (and a pretty damn good one, too).

I'll post more later when I remember them.

EDIT: OF COURSE! How could I forget my favourite Israeli band Mutant John???
Good ol' indie!

ANOTHER EDIT:
The Astroglides an amazingly good surfcore/hardcore band. Worth checking out.

remixor

There's an excellent indie band from my hometown of San Diego, California called The Black Heart Procession; their latest album Amore del Tropico is absolutely brilliant and fast becoming one of my favorites of all time.

Also, a practically unknown yet rocking band called The Cheat (named after the H*R character but having nothing whatsoever to do with HR.com) hails from my current home of Berkeley, CA.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm a member of a so-called "underground" band as well, so, yeah, support local musicians!
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Moresco

Remixor: You grew up in San Diego? I grew up in Orange County & frequently liked listening kioz when I was on road trip to SD.  Sadly a rock station in OC was replaced by a spanish station which had no intention of playing rock :(
::: Mastodon :::

Al_Ninio

Holy poop Remixor, The Cheat is pretty goddamn awesome!
I can't find any song by The Black Heart Procession, though.
Do you have any idea where I can find some?

remixor

Quote from: Highwaygal on Thu 25/09/2003 06:30:50
Holy poop Remixor, The Cheat is pretty goddamn awesome!
I can't find any song by The Black Heart Procession, though.
Do you have any idea where I can find some?

Wow, I'm really impressed that you actually checked The Cheat out.  You're probably just about their only non-California fan.  What songs did you like?  I thought "The Irk" is particularly bad ass.

I would think that Black Heart Procession should be not TOO hard to find, although I'm not really sure since I just buy their albums.  Try searching for "Tropics of Love"--I just searched for "black heart procession tropics of love" on Kazaa and didn't have any problems, and it's one of their best songs.  Also, "Did You Wonder" is their big song they're trying to push.  It's one of their more "conventional" ones.

And Moresco: Yeah, I lived in SD since I was 6 or 7 or so.  I didn't get to OC much but I do know that by the time I left SD I had stopped listening to the radio altogether.  I from my friends back there that the new 94.9 is excellent though.

Al_Ninio

Well Remixor I downloaded "Pass it on", "The Irk" and "You don't love her", so far my favourite is "Pass it on", great song.

I also downloaded two Black Heart Procession songs, also incredibley awesome ^-^

Edit: Hey, that's not the smiley I wanted!

remixor

Nice, nice.  Wooo, I've added to someone's musical listening repetoire!  I still can't believe I got you into The Cheat.  I am very proud of myself.

Al_Ninio

Phlargh, I'm not letting this one die.
POST YOUR LOCAL BANDS!
NOW!

c.leksutin

When I lived in boston, I discovered there is more local talent then there is signed talent.  Way too many bands to list, and that was back in 1995.

C.

Rincewind

Ok, just to be a bumper and to "keep the underground movement alive" - I'll add Gravelgrinder to the list - If you found Dysdain a bit extreme, these guys'll probabaly make you puke.
Fast and uncompromizeing Grindcore/Death Metal-band consisting of only two members...
(If you are swedish, listen to "Vinterdikt" and try to hear the lyrics... You might find it quite amusing...)

Any more local talents you want to put in the spotlight?
- Write 'em here, folks.

Darth Mandarb

remix0r - I downloaded the Cheat's stuff ... it's pretty darn good.  I love the 'local band' sound.  I like when bands sound the way they want to sound rather than the way the record labels tell them to sound.

There is a band I love (in Michigan) called The Killer Flamingos.  They have some orginal stuff (they do have a CD out) but their live shows is mostly 80's covers.  I had a HUGE crush on Michelle (the lead singer).  Man can that chick sing!!  She's got a great voice!

Whirling Road (another Michigan band) was awesome.  But they broke up because the lead singer was a jerk that nobody could get along with.  I wish their site was still up 'cause these guys were awesome.  I've got two of their songs available for dl if you're at all interested:
Whirling Road - Whispering the Words
Whirling Road - Die

Abruzi Drive was also awesome but, like Whirling Road, couldn't get along and broke up.

I still listen to their music on a very regular basis!

Also, funny story, I travel alot and one time (I can't for the life of me remember where I was (I think Boston)) but I saw Jason M'raz  in some small venue.  Just look at him now.  I remember thinking (when I saw him) that he would make it someday.  Same with Nora Jones, and the band Live.

remixor

Oh man, I can't wait to tell the guys in The Cheat they now have listeners in Florida and Israel...

LordHart

We've mostly got metal bands around my area, and they all get me to do cover art for them.

There is a punk band called Plus Guy, and the lead singer is bloody great (not to mention extremely hot). Named themselves Plus Guy because it's three chicks plus a guy. :)

Scummbuddy

Well, my friend was in a band called Overflow about 5 years ago, but then he quit that band and joined onto a little band called Good Charlotte.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk