A question for a question...

Started by Hobbes, Thu 25/09/2003 21:41:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Ok...

...in fear of gettting flamed, I'm going to push on. I posted this topic about a year ago as well, but then it got blown off due to bandwith problems.

Now, as I hear, bandwith isn't really the issue anymore.

It's quite a simple game really. I ask a question. The next person answers it (as elaborately as he/she wishes) and asks a new question.

If multiple people respond, it's up to the next one to have a lot of fun in answering several questions. It isn't really a big problem if multiple people answer multiple questions, in my experience such things usually sort themselves out.

Also, I think it would be fun to talk about things adventure-related... not that this is a rule, but the conversation could be kept somewhat serious this way.

Ok. Here goes.

-----

Which game character had more charisma? E.g. which one would you more likely befriend in real life: Gabriel Knight or Hoagie. And... why, if I may ask?

DragonRose

NOTE: I am not actually answering this question because I haven't played DOTT.

* Dragonrose ducks flying vegetables.

Anyway, I think this is a really good topic.  I wonder why it got shot down?  It can really open up some good conversation, and get a lot of questions answered.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

LucasFan

Quote…because I haven't played DOTT

QuoteAnyway, I think that the main difference between Sierra and Lucasarts is the way they treat the players. Sierra always seemed to want the players to have fun with the games…

There is a nice German saying:
"Von nichts 'ne Ahnung, aber zu allem 'ne Meinung."

Ciro Durán

Quote from: LucasFan on Fri 26/09/2003 14:14:45
There is a nice German saying:
"Von nichts 'ne Ahnung, aber zu allem 'ne Meinung."

I wish I knew German... :(

TheYak

Nobody answered the question.  I'd pick Hoagie.  I like Gabriel's character more but if I had to hang with one of 'em, I'd rather it could be someone I'd chug soda with while sitting on the couch saying, "Dude," in a profound manner.

My question: What was the whiniest, wussiest most pathetic adventure game character?

Ghostmaker

Roger Wilco, face it, he is a wuss.

My question, who is the most comdeic character without intending to be funny?
So, this is AGS, i have seen more amature

Nacho

I´ve got the answer to that: Chris Jones is actually the "non-trying-to-be-funny" funniest guy in the world. You must know him personally, I remember that he said in one post that he wanted to be a comediant or something before realising tthat he´s not funny (I dreamed that???).

But he actually is. The annual Chris Jones onion rings Pics are not casual.

If you meant a "profesional" actor... Maybe Tom Cruise... Looking how he screams through his different films pretending to be a good actor is hilarious. He overperformance as Jim Carrey... But he pretends to be serious.

I can´t really answer about GA characters... Bobbin Treadbare was quite funny...

Now... My question...

Why Lucas adventures are worst every year passes?
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Trapezoid

Oh yeah, because Grim Fandango was SUCH a step down from CMI...
It's ok to ask a question that's based on opinion, but come on, don't ASSUME the person answering shares your opinion.
LucasArts' adventures really haven't been common enough lately to gauge their quality.

Next question: Would you buy a LucasArts adventure if its graphics were made in MS-Paint?

Czar

Well if the main reason for buying a game is graphics, then maybe, cuz even if the graphics were made in MS Paint, who says they cant be quality? But ofcourse graphics arent the only thing that matter in a game, and we all know that, otherwise, we would be here.

I dont want to break the newly made tradition, so i'll ask you a question:
If the quality of the commercial adv. games would fall drasticly, would you use amateur adv. games as a permanent source for them?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Nacho

Quote from: Trapezoid on Sat 27/09/2003 09:12:01
Oh yeah, because Grim Fandango was SUCH a step down from CMI...
It's ok to ask a question that's based on opinion, but come on, don't ASSUME the person answering shares your opinion.
LucasArts' adventures really haven't been common enough lately to gauge their quality.

So, if Trapezoind thinks that if the statement "The quality of Lucas is worst every year" is false, we can assume that Trapezoid believes that they´re improving the quality? Is that what Trapezoid thinks? So, lemme say... Bagh! :P If that is true, make me know, I won´t read any post related with adventure graphics made by Trapezoid... They won´t have credibility anymore...

BTW... I think that CMI is better than Grim Fandango, so, don´t assume the person answering shares you oppinion.

Eggie

Czar: Well I'm a little too optimistic about commercial adventures so...I'd keep buying them in the hope they'd pick up.

Oooh! I get to ask a question!

"If Lucasarts asked YOU to lead the the next Monkey Island game and you accepted what would be the ONE thing you'd like to have in the game you would be willing to give George Lucas a blow job to get it in there"

Farlander and Trap: I'm not sure either of you really explain yourselves particulary well. Now I want you to apologise and mean it.  :P

Nacho

Quote from: Eggie on Sat 27/09/2003 14:19:14

Farlander and Trap: I'm not sure either of you really explain yourselves particulary well. Now I want you to apologise and mean it.  :P

It is simple: I said that Lucas Arts is making worst GA every year... Trap says it´ s just my opinnion, that nobody must necessarily agree with it. I would agree that all the opinnions are argueable, but... shit, that Lucas is making worst adventures each year is a fact, they wern´t even capables to finish Full Throttle 2 because it was crap... BTW, I was just being sarcastic, I will always keep reading Traps posts, they´re very funny and interesting.

My answer: I would make that CMI and EMI were just "comics" made by an teenager Guybrush in the present, while the two first were visions he had in the theme Park, so, I would continue the adventure in the point Ron left it.

My question: Dying or "unvincible" main characters in Graphic adventures?

Jimi

In graphic adventures, they are cool, because the aim is to solve the puzzles, etc. But they do suck in action type games.

My Question: If you were an adventure game character, which one would you rather be?

PeaceMan

Ben.

It would be great to kick down doors and knock people out without giving a crap.

You also get to ride on the world's coolest bike.  8)

Next guestion:
Should action sequences have any part in an adventure game?

Ciro Durán

Grand part of the fun in the adventure games is the question "what would happen to the character if...", this usually traduces in the amateur community in lots of messages telling the player what would happen, i.e., if the character breaks the Fire Alarm glass.

This "what if" includes the death scenes, in Indy and the Last Crusade you can't resist punching Hitler (do you?) :) and you see the ending (which message is quite funny).

However, death scenes must be controlled, deadends must be avoided at all costs, and a "replay" feature should be included, if possible, in order to encourage the player to keep exploring and experimenting.

This gives definitely a "Dying" character my approval.

Next question: I don't have one, I've seen than the question I've answered has been already answered :(

Trapezoid

Farlander: My point is, they've only released ONE adventure game in the past four years. So "degrading in quality every year" isn't really something that can be done. They're degrading in quantity, definately. But I'd be hard pressed to say that Grim Fandango is a degradation in quality, in any respects. Of course, that's just my opinion, but oh well, continue the game please.

Hobbes

Question I'm answering: Should action sequences have any part in an adventure game?

Answer: I think so. They should mostly be used sparingly, and be kept above the "click-fest" problem. So, in essence, they should have some puzzley element to them.

I also prefer games that makes it possible to skip the puzzle.

(PS. Farlander and Trap, perhaps you two can get another thread? ;))

My question: If you got a dog and were to name it after an adventure character, what name would you pick?

Trapezoid

I'd name it Domino! Actually, I think Domino would be cute for a cat, but it'd work for a dog.

Next: Which current box office film would make the best adventure game? (OTHER than Pirates of the Caribbbean!)

LucasFan

QuoteIf you got a dog and were to name it after an adventure character...
Indiana?  ;)

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Well, from what I can tell from the IMDB entries, Cold Creek Manor would be kinda cool, you could be solving puzzles to uncover secret areas in the manor house and stuff.

Next question: not adventure game related, but it is game related: which are you looking forward to most, Half Life 2 or Deus Ex 2, and why? (I know which one I'll be buying)

Privateer Puddin'

game wise: Deus Ex 2

modding wise: Halflife 2

I've never liked editing Unreal games but valve have kept as much as possible in HL2 the same as HL. Deus Ex 2 should continue improving strong story based first person shooters

Which adventure game would make the best movie? why?

Indiana Jones :P

But seriously, I think Broken Sword's got the whole action-romance-adventure-cheesy conspiracy thing going on.

Next: if you were to fuse an adventure game with another genre, to create something along the lines of a FPRTS, for example, what would that genre be?

Trapezoid

I'd fuse it with FPS... Imagine playing an adventure game with the first person, free range of exploration of an FPS. It's probably been done, but probably not to its full potential.

If you could hack Monkey Island 1 and change the graphics and dialog, how would you alter it?

Nellie

I would fuse Adventure and Real-Time Strategy.

In-between battles, your character could wander around the camp interacting with soldiers in your command.  As you got to know them, it would be very sad to see their deaths in battle.

Oh bum, Trap answered before me.

Privateer Puddin'

Only real dialog change id make in MI1 would have to be with Fester Shinetop, its unclear whether he is infact lechuck, under lechucks orders or otherwise.

If you could end Monkey Island 2 differently - how would it end

Hobbes

I'd end it badly, having the ending not work out, and LeChuck killing Guybrush...

...and then switch to young Guybrush waking up in the middle of the night, in bed.

Then let them deal with *THAT* when creating MI3. ;)

Question: What underdog adventure game REALLY deserves a sequel?

Minimi

I don't know if it's an underdog adventure, because in my eyes it's one of the best ever, but I'd say Jack Orlando from Topware, now published by jowood. That game is really neat... and I'd love to see a sequel.

Question : Can you live without a computer? Explain why, or why not.

Eggie

Yes...I have managed to go for prolonged periods without a computer without my eyeballs melting.

Next question:
How much wood could a wood...chuck..
FINE!

Real question:
Do you prefer low or high res. (NOTE: This is NOT "what is best". This is YOUR personal preference.)

Minimi

High resolution, for playing games, and low resolution for making games.

I like hi-resolution because I think graphics are pretty important to the adventure, and in highresolution they are most often more beautifull and detailed.
When I talk about making games, I prefer low resolution because 1. It takes less time. 2. it takes less time and 3. it takes less time ;)

Question : If you'd reincarnate after you death as an animal, what kinda animal would you like to be?

Privateer Puddin'

a pigeon, see how many people i could go poop on :P

what game were you really looking forward to, but it ended out rubbish

Final Fantasy 8.

Next question: worst sequal ever? (can't be an ff game, I already called that :P )

Privateer Puddin'

escape from monkey island

not a bad adventure game, but screwed up everything before it

what game which isnt an adventure game, would make a good one?

Privateer Puddin'

what would YOU have said then? being a mainly lucasarts player, i didnt get too many sequels :)

plus roller coaster tycoon 2 - 1 was excellent - 2 just didnt do anything for me

Hobbes

I think Unreal (the original one) would translate quite well... escaped prisoner stuck on an alien planet with a completely alien culture... lots of potential there.

Ok, as for my question:

If you could be another AGS member for one day, who would you be? And, more importantly, what would you do?

Quintaros

I'd be Farlander and I would..ahem...hang out with his girlfriend.

Question:  How far would you like to go with game-making?  Hobby or desired career?  Do you think an amateur game is a viable way to break into the business?

Hobbes

Ah. :)

And your next question for everyone would be?

Quintaros

Privateer Puddin'

a) Defiantly want to go professional, for me, creating a small game company where i would know everyones name but we were still be able to create a good game would be perfect for me.

b) I would say it is, but not really in the adventure game scene atm, but in other genres such as FPS (ie CS, the creator(s) have gone slightly pro)

Q: uh, is any one planning to change from adventure games if they go pro? would you be forced to do a different genre to get into the pro game making?

MrColossal

i have some platform games knocking around in my head

i have started hating platform games cause they are so repetative but lots of people like them and they translate to other consoles [read: GBA] easily.

platform games seem the safest route cause they can be played by many age groups, there are just as many kids playing Mario as there are teenages and adults, unlike other more complex games

If you could go back in time to 1970 and bring one technology from current games to show people what would it be?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Quintaros

That's a tough one, not knowing enough about what the computer technology of the time was like.  Hell I'm not too saavy with present technology.  My guess, though, is that people working in the gaming industry back in the 70s were forethinking enough that most of todays gaming technology would seem inevitible to them.  Maybe they'd be impressed with the quality of modern graphics and AI but its not gonna blow their mind.  

Do you ever foresee a time when you'll have no desire to buy commercial games b/c your gaming desires are being satiated by the ever-growing AGS community?

Note:  I'm beginning to think a flaw with this thread is that a lot of interesting questions are coming up but aren't explored fully as only one person answers them and then moves on.

remixor

Do you ever foresee a time when you'll have no desire to buy commercial games b/c your gaming desires are being satiated by the ever-growing AGS community?

Er... gotta be honest here and say no.  There are some truly outstanding AGS games, but VERY few that fuse every single aspect of gamemaking in the way that an excellent commercial game can.  This is not the fault of any AGS game makers; most AGS games are made with only one person or a very small team, and it's unreasonable to expect that many people to excel at every part of game making.

And re: Quintaros' last sentence: I see what you mean, but I actually kind of like it this way.  We have plenty of threads about a given topic related to adventure games, and they get beat to death, often culminating in some big argument ;)  Those often spawn the best threads but I think this is nice for a change.

Next question: What do you think the adventure genre is going to look like by 2010?
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Hobbes

I think (and hope) that by that time the pendulum has swung back again... meaning: adventure games will be the "new" hype and big in commercial success. And we'll still be here, being all "Told you so"...

;)

Question: If you could get involved with the development of one current AGS-made game, which one would you like to be involved with? And, in what department?

Also, Re: Quintaros: True. The questions get answered at a rapid pace. But, as I stated before: Answer all the questions you like. Just as long as you answer the current one as well and provide us with the next question... This thread will really take off once people start replying to earlier stuff, so I'm all for it.

Privateer Puddin'

just one ? damn

i guess it would have to be
Quest For Glory II VGA by Tierra, just because (no offense to any one in anyway) they seem very professional in how they go about game developement and id love to be a part of that, id prolly choose play testing, as the team they have atm, beats anything i could make :P

question : What inspires you when making a game? the chance to tell a tale? life long ambition? etc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk