The Disney Ride: PotC

Started by Meowster, Wed 01/10/2003 21:12:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Meowster

Since I was 10 years old I wanted to go on Pirates of the Caribbean. It inspired MI, for heavens sake, of course I did. Anyway, now it's inspired a  movie too.

So naturally, when I was told we were going to Disneyland, Paris on our school tour... I was all like, "YAY!" And Sorcha was all like, "Sometimes they cancel the Disneyland Trip" and I'm all like, "Well I'll demand a refund if they do!" And she was all like, "I don't even think PotC is IN Disneyland Paris." And I was all like, "Yes, it is!" And she said, "I think that's in Disneyland Florida." And I'm all like, "I hate you!" And then I started crying and was all like, "But Ron Gilbert..." And she was all like, "Yeah, where does he live?" And I was all like, "San Francisco" And she's all like, "And where's that?" And I'm all like, "In America" And she's all like, "Where in America?" And I was like, "California" and she's like, "And what else is in california?" And I'm all like, "...Florida?" And she's all like, "So do you think he flew to paris to visit disneyland, instead of just driving a few miles down the road?" And I'm all like, "That's a stupid exaggeration!"

Here's my question. Please somebody, tell me... where is Pirates of the Caribbean??? Paris or Florida?

Privateer Puddin'

well, i know for a fact its in florida, but florida has space mountain, aswell as paris so they might have one :)

Privateer Puddin'

according to some reviews on google, paris has the BEST potc ride!

Meowster

Oh my god, YES! Oh my god, YES! Oh my god, YES!!! OH MY GOD, YESS!!!!

But... is it in french? I don't speak french talk very well. Unless they're sort of sociable pirates that like saying hi, and telling you how many brothers and sisters they have.

Privateer Puddin'

i very much doubt the song would be in french, it would ruin it :)

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

Whoa whoa hang on a second... there's someone else in your school apart from you who actually knows who Ron Gilbert is?! The statistical probablility of that must be tiny! (there's generally a limit of one adventure game geek within a 5 mile radius)

Privateer Puddin'

yes, i should edit my posts, but im lazy

photographic evidence

http://www.mickey-mouse.com/picdlppiratesofthecaribbean.htm

now the bad news: it may be in french

"A really good family boat ride, spoilt for English speaking visitors by the amount of French spoken be the characters inside the ride.  Watch out for the small drop inside and be prepared to get slightly wet."

Meowster

Yay! And Nay!

Everybody in my school knows who Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert are. I made sure of that. They sort of hate them at this stage.

Hell, in the computer club, guess who the mentor is?

Meowster

Yeah! Ireland is great because you can be an extreme example of the true american 'geek' and people actually think it's awesome. Because people in Ireland aren't as technologically advanced as americans/brits. So when I started a computer club in school, a bunch of people joined, just because the thought it was cool.

I'm trying to teach them AGS, which is hard, because I can't really use it that well.

Oh, that reminds me. Expect a newbie flood from Ireland any... minute... NOW.

Yeah, just kidding.

Kind of.

Domino

I am not sure if Disneyland Paris has Pirates of the Carribean, but i know for sure that both Disneyland (California) and Walt Disney World (Florida) have the ride.

shawn

Privateer Puddin'

florida, california, tokyo and paris do, i believe thats all.

Sluggo

Well the one in California is the original so it's the best.   ;)

How would they translate "Drink up me 'earties yo ho!" into French?

Meowster

Je M'appelle 'Hearty' yeaux heaux!

Privateer Puddin'

uh, that was wrong yufster, Je M'appelle is 'my name is', is it not?

Meowster

No, it means "Drink it up, me hearties!"

Don't you know anything???

|Alky|

I believe the French one is better, because they have a resturant sorta built into the ride, so you see people eating in a spanish style resturant, and it's all cool an' all. At least I think that was in France.

Anyhow, on that subject, I finding out a while ago there's a ride in the Japaneese theme park like "Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth" ^_^. I'm not kidding, y'know. But they shortened it to the more catchey "Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull in the Lost River Delta", but it's about the search for the fountain of youth. Crazy, huh? ^_^
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

We're going back to the tick tock to get the boo-boo. Send for backup. - Baby's Day Out

Privateer Puddin'

Trapezoid

Does it matter? There's probably nothing funnier than pirates yelling in French.
Well, I guess Dutch or German would be funnier. Japanaese would be even funnier.
But French is pretty darn funny.

Meowster

Yeah, Babelfish lies a lot. You should probably ignore it.

m0ds

Come on.

The pirates don't say "Yarrrr" they say "Sacre blehhhhhh!" and wave baguettes about, not swords.

:)
m0ds

Sylpher

Wait a damn minute..Yes California and I believe florida has it..But something of more importance needs to be cleared up here..

"And I was like, "California" and she's like, "And what else is in california?" And I'm all like, "...Florida?" And she's all like, "So do you think..."

California is a state on the west coast of america known for its sunny beachs and movie stars.

Florida is a state on the complete opposite east coast known for its sunny beachs and great nicknames like 'Wang' or The Dong State.

Florida is not in California.

I don't care if it was a joke or not lets not confuse anyone.

m0ds

I was gonna say. California is on the west, Florida the east. Silly Yufster.

Wasn't SAN DEAMMUSSSSS (Bill & Ted) set in California? Yet Florida holds the mysterious corner of the Bermuda triangle.

Las Naranjas

Florida is full of old people with names like Mills and Francisco.

And I'm sure the Computer Club beats being in the Potato club.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

remixor

bwahahahaha, m0ds, you rule.

And, yes, for the geographically challenged, California is the ENORMOUS state that takes up much of the US' western coastline.  Nothing whatsoever to do with Florida.  California has Disneyland (with the original POTC, AFAIK), and Florida has Disney World.  And, yes, Bill and Ted was set in San Dimas, California.  HEAVY METAL!!!111
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Sylpher

Speaking of which the scene in bill and ted where they are at the water park was shot at the park 3 miles from my house...everytime we go there someone can't help but mention napoleon coming down the slide...

remixor

Sylpher, that is awesome.

Bob The Hun

For reference, yes, POTC is in California, Florida, Paris, and Tokyo.
All of them are a little different, though, and on a forum devoted to POTC i've been to before (don't ask me why) most people regarded the original one in Anaheim to be the best. The Paris one is widely regarded as the second best. The Tokyo one is seldom talked about, not sure about that. Of course, the Paris one is ranked the second best due to a few shortcomings in the Florida one, namely that it is much shorter (about one-third shorter than the Anaheim one), and it has a Spanish Dungeon themed entrance that, while being nice, lacks the near-perfection that is the Blue Bayou. Of course, I could get into the non-Anaheim POTCs lack of an integrated resteraunt (which has the best tasting and most well-made food in the park, IMO) and the lack of a club such as 'Club 33' (not open to the general public, but it IS a five-star resteraunt, AND the only place that serves alchohol in the park) but that would be pointless as, most likely, no one cares.

Anyway, yes, Paris does have POTC.

edmundito

The one that inspired Ron Gilbert was the one in Disneyland in California... I'm not sure how this one is different from the others; I figure they're pretty much the same. I went to the one in Disney World (Florida) back in '92... yeah, when Monkey Island 2 was quite new, but my parents bought me Math Blaster instead :( I bet I met with box of the game that would later turn me insane back then... Anywho, I went on the ride and still remember it... specially the dog holding the key ;)
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Grundislav

The one in Florida gyps us because it's not like the one in California, or so I've heard.  They've removed a couple of rooms, so we don't get the full PotC experience.  Bastards!

Incidentally, last time I rode PotC was in May 2000 for Grad Nite-where they close off the Magic Kingdom to high school seniors-at 3am.  There's nothing like screaming "ARRRR!!!" at robot pirates at 3am.

Nostradamus

Well to end the speculation, I have been to Disneyland Paris TWICE and there IS Pirates of the Carribean there, and the main song has english but mostly whtn they talk they speak french. Still fun though.

What I recommend there though is Space Mountain - the best roller coaster in Disneyland and for all the horror freaks the haunted house (forgot its official name), it's the coolest thing ever you see "real" ghosts dancing and a lot of crazy shit, at one part you see yourself in your car in the mirror but above you is a skeleton\ghost.

Bob The Hun

Yeah, Space mountain is the best roller coaster in Disneyland. Or was.
Don't know about the other parks, but the one in California is 'Closed Indefintely'. Hopefully they'll replace it with something as good. They'd better..
BTW, Nostradamus, was the haunted house you went to the "Haunted Mansion" (the one in California, Florida, and Tokyo) or the 'Phantom Manor' (the one unique to Paris)?
I've heard that the phantom manor, even though it's the least faithful to the original, i've heard it's pretty good. Never been there, though.

Nostradamus

It was Phantom Manor.

The coolest ride I've ever been in.

Meowster

Dudes, come on, everybody knows Florida is in CA. Don't be dumb.

Scummbuddy

Right, well, then that must mean that our resident Florida agsers also live in California, over 3000 miles away... weird.

anyways, years ago, at least the florida ride was changed to be more "politically correct" or PC.... which sucks, cause I'll never get to see it as Ron Gilbert saw it.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Meowster

Just take a few drugs and I'm sure you'll see the similarities.

Bob The Hun

The California one underwent the PC change too, but the most noticable change is in just one scene, where on one balcony the pirate was chasing the woman, and on the other the ugly woman was chasing the pirate, but that was changed so that the ugly woman was given a rolling pin (which she is posed to hit him with, changing the entire meaning of that scene) There were also a few minor changes throughout the ride, but that's the only one i can think of off of the top of my head.

rodekill

I was on the POTC ride in Florida when I was a kid, but it was before MI came out, so I didn't appreciate it in the same way.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

remixor

I have been on the ride at least twice before the changes and at least twice afterwards, and I honestly don't think it changes the spirit of the ride at all.  They're such minor things that I can't imagine people even catching them all without looking them up.  The ride still "feels" the same.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk