SHENMUE fans?

Started by Domino, Thu 02/10/2003 02:38:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino

okay, i am trying to find out if there are any Shenmue Fans out there. If you don't don't know what Shenmue was, it is so far a 2 chapter game for the Sega Dreamcast (part 2 on X-box also), which in my opinion was probably the best 2 games ever made.

I have both Shenmue 1 and 2, and would like to know if anybody else out there also has the same passion for the series as i do, and who would like to see Shenmue 3. (if it ever gets made). As an avid gamer, i have to say the the Shenmue games probably are the best console games ever. please let me know.

remixor

Gotta admit, that's essentially how I feel about Shenmue.  Sorry!  ;D
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Domino

come on, there is alot more depth to those 2 games than that cartoon.  Have you even played them? Once played, you will certainly have a different opinion of them.  :)

shawn

Sylpher

I've played them..and enjoyed them but not as much as my ex. she played the hell out of them.

As far as I remember it is a 7 part story. I didn't like the ending of the seocnd one though. the first one gave you some closure but left you on the edge enough to look for a sequel...the second was like Hey! We found this big ass rune...Game Over..wtf?

Anyways the 70 man battle is one of the coolest things done in video game history..end of story.

Domino

yes, that 70 man battle at the end of Shenmue 1 was a finger killer.  :)

As for the second one, the ending was also a shock to me too.  Once inside the cave, i was expecting more, then all of a sudden, the credits rolled.  :(

shawn

xenogia

i got both of them, and found the second one was much.  i really got sick of the whole moving crates around on the first one.  but i really did enjoy those games, i wish the dreamcast still existed, cause i dont wanna buy an x-box

remixor

I played it at a friend's house when it came out.  We played it for hours and all we did was go around the town and do random things.  I'm sure it's more exciting when you get into the main plot though.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Las Naranjas

You could move to Japan. From what I understand the Dreamcast is still bigger than the X Box there, and it was only the Foreign subsiduaries of Sega that went Belly up.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Lucky

Ah, Shenmue, another game I unfortunately haven't played. :( Too bad I probably won't ever get to play it since I don't have Dreamcast, and I'm sure I'll never buy X-Box.

Breeta

Ah.. I miss the Dreamcast. I stood in line at the games store at 1 in the morning to get one the day it came out. There was so many fun games for DC. Eventually mine broke I guess from playing pirated cds :-X  My bro's just broke too, and he hasn't been involved in any illegal activity. Maybe its just a crumby system. So I didn't get to finish Shenmue but the first cd was very tedious.  
And why wouldn't anyone want an Xbox?

Lucky

How about if someone already has another console and/or PC?

xenogia

i got 2 dcs, i usually code on one through linux, its such a nice system, and it was so ahead of its time, it just came down to bad marketing

Lucky

its such a nice system, and it was so ahead of its time, it just came down to bad marketing

So true... Many Europeans didn't even know that it existed. :(

Lazy Z

I love both Shenmue games, part II is definitely one of my top-5 games ever. I'd elaborate more but I'm kinda bored right now, sorry. :P

Though I have to admit that both games are an acquired taste, most people I know either don't like them at all, or they don't care about them, and I can't blame them, really. But I just love the feeling of immersiveness, and the atmosphere, and that amazing music... Wish it had more puzzles though.

Any of you seen the "Shenmue on Saturn" video? I still can't believe how did they ever manage to make such graphics on the Saturn. Wonder how it'd sell if it was released.

Sega'd better make a third part, they're not getting away with the questions they've left unanswered in part 2! Plus, I wanna see Ryo kick Lan Di's ass. :P
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

Sylpher

Saturn was technically more powerful then the Psx plus a lot of it's power was left untouched seeing is how it was abandoned way too early in it's life. As well yes the Dreamcasts fate was sad. Though,  a lot of factors played into it's death not just segas marketing but that is history..

Again. I am pretty sure Shenmue is a 7 part series and last I heard Sega does intend to make all of them in Japan...Us/Eur releases who knows.

Americans-
If you are hard up to play shenmue 2 on your dreamcast I believe it came out in europe I'm sure you can import it somehow..but then you have to mod your dreamcast so...your choice.

There was another game that came out under the 'Free' genre in which Shenmue resides but I can't think of it right now..As far as I know there is only 2 (Well 3 for shenmue 1/2) but 2 series using the Free style. Anyone know the other one? Was either Dreamcast or Ps2..

Domino

i bought Shenmue 2 (Euro-Version) on Ebay and it came with a boot disk called the DC-X for Dreamcast, which is a legal product which was sold in stores. It allows you to play imported games on an American Dreamcast.  I have to say it worked perfectly.

I bought my Dreamcast back in 2000 for 200 dollars brand new, and still like the system, but unfortunetly, it has taken a back seat to my Playstation 2, which i got in 2001 (well at least the first one, before it died.) Then had to buy another PS2 back in March 2003.

And for the video clip of Shenmue on Saturn. I highly doubt it would have even been possible to do the whole game because of the scope and size of the game. I think only next-gen systems were capable of it.

BTW, i read that the Saturn was really difficult to program for and really had a lack of 3rd party software titles

Shawn  :)

Eggie

My friend had those games. I liked the way you could spam about with toys and stuff.

The only thing is, my friend is now saying: "Wow! it's just like in Shenmu!" everytime he drinks a can of coke.  :P

Lazy Z

QuoteSaturn was technically more powerful then the Psx plus a lot of it's power was left untouched seeing is how it was abandoned way too early in it's life.

The Saturn was not as powerful as the PS1 when it came to 3D graphics, but you're right about it being abandoned early in its life. Anyways, I guess we'll never know.

I also remember reading that Shenmue was a 7 parts game, but I kinda remember reading that one game could have more than one parts, so that there won't be 7 Shenmue games in total. Also, I think that Shenmue I&II are just one part, seeing as they were supposed to be released as one game originally...

As for the other game in the "F.R.E.E." genre, I think it's "Rent-A-Hero", it's kinda like Shenmue but you play the role of Hero-for-hire, and it's supposedly pretty mediocre. Then again, Shenmue wasn't a big hit with the reviewers either. It was released in Japan for the DC, and if I'm not mistaken it was recently released in the States for the XBox.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

Sylpher

Psx was designed as a 2d console. An add-on to the Snes. After it was abandoned sony partially upgraded the hardware for less sprite performance and more polygon..Most of the 3d you saw on psx that looked half way decent is because Sony released the microcode to hardcode the processor and make it there bitch to push it to it's absolute edge.

Saturn was designed with 3d in mind and had a dedicated processor for it. If given proper timing it would of torn out the psx's heart through it's asshole graphically.

And it wasn't Rent-A-Hero though I will have to check it out. I forgot the name of the game it came out not too long after Shenmue..

Las Naranjas

Even when it was released I remember vomiting over PSX graphics.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk