do you want Grim Fandango 2?

Started by danny*, Sat 04/10/2003 19:23:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamski

Haddas

I just did
Guess from where:

?: Excuse me, would you sign my petition?
Woman: I'm sorry...
?: Sign my petition, Damnit!
Woman: No way you freakin' pinko!
?: Sign my petition, or I'll follow you home and kill your dog!
Woman: AaaAAAAAaaiiiaaAAaaiiiaAAAaH! *runs away*

Privateer Puddin'

i'd prefer a new adventure game from lucasarts :)

Domino

BG signs, feels good.  :)

shawn

Meowster

But why? Why spoil a perfectly good game with a sequal? Unless they get Tim on the job, it'll never work. Besides, even though it was a great game, it sold hardly any copies. Shit, this room feels like a fridge. Anyway, so despite that it was better than anything Lucasarse ever produced... they will never do it again.

I say screw Lucasarse, and just buy ten copies of Psychonauts and catapult it to fame and money, and whatever comes with fame and money. SWIMMING POOLS, PROBABLY. Then, we can be assured they'll knock out some top notch and memorable games. Maybe ones inspired by swimming pools, or something.

Rincewind

Kind of agree with DS here - Even though it would be nice to see another Grim Fandango, I doubt it could ever top the brilliance displayed in the original - Even with fancier graphics and great music. The risk is that it'll just be a cheap rip-off...

Besides, I'd rather not know what happened to Manny and Meche in the 9th Underworld... :)  I want to remain unknowing...

Privateer Puddin'

Nellie

Blech.  Where's the "Don't you dare make a sequel" petition?

Adamski

Exactly Rincewind. It ended in such a way that a sequal would make things crappy, and having new characters in the same world would also be crappy as we've all seen and done it and been blown away by it before.
In conclusion, what Yufster, Pudding and Rincewind said.

If Lucasarts hired me they'd get some original and creative games!

Trapezoid

I would like to see another game in the Land of the Dead. It's a whole planet thingy, after all.

Shattered Sponge

I think a prequel could work; probably wouldn't, as it'd be bloody difficult to pull off correctly, but it could work.

And Yufster, didn't you say you hadn't actually played it?

Mats Berglinn

Yes I want a sequel but they should keep everything that was good in original like the film noir movie-feeling, the great voices of characters, the music, the gameplay and Glottis, I can't resist the guy. I want to see more of the Land of the Dead and know more secrets about it. I mean is the Petrified forest, Sea of Lament, Rubacava, Edge of the World, El Marrow and the Gate to the Ninth Underworld the only places that exist in the Land of the Dead? Think about it!

Migs

No no no.  Grim Fandango was a game that ended perfectly.  Why ruin the perfection with a sequel?
This signature intentionally left blank.

Migs

I actually went to the link and read the petition.

THAT'S the petition?   That's the most pathetic, immature, whiniest petition I've ever seen!!!!!  There are so many things wrong with it:

1. Best "skeleton adventure game" ever?  Manny wasn't a skeleton.  He was modeled after a Mexican doll, called the Calavera...RTFM.  Hence his name.  Manuel Calaveras.  Also just how many skeleton adventure games are there to compare this to, that make it the "best"?

2. "But unfortunately, they complete it and now cry."  Ignoring the strange English sentence structure, why are they crying?  I admit I actually shed a few tears at the end of Grim Fandango, but not because I wanted more.  I thought it was a great ending.

3. "To stop that crying..."  Get over it.  It was a great game.  Manny reached the end.  O Joy and rapture.

4. "Look how pretty it looks" Seriously.  I have no idea what this means.  It sounds like some retarded kid I know who chases butterflies and exclaims, "Pretty!  Pretty!"

5. "We need more Manny..."  Okay.  You can't DICTATE what the sequel is going to contain.  They could just as well create a sequel with someone else who has some tie to Manny, or is unrelated to him entirely.  Frankly, I don't need more Manny.  I've had enough Manny.

6. "We hope to see it soon...very soon...Pleeeeeeaaase..."  If LucasArts is seriously going to make this, they'll do it in their own due time.  Whining isn't going to help.

I'm embarassed to think that LucasArts might actually see this awful petition.  If you guys (whoever you are) are going to make a petition, you should think it through carefully, write it in a professional tone, state your reasons clearly and coherently (and NOT because you want to stop some sort of alleged crying that's sweeping the nation).

I honestly don't think there needs to be another Grim Fandango, but I wouldn't mind playing one because if LucasArts made it, I have full confidence they would do an excellent job.  But I am NOT signing that woefully inadequate petition.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Meowster

SS => I haven't played it, I heard it was great though. But I don't like when people create sequels to perfectly good games/movies/whatever. Especially when they do it without the old people on the team. Look at MI for example. After playing MI4, I almost wish they'd just left it at MI3.

Besides, Lucasarse need to get original some time. I hate starwars. If I didn't hate it before, I do hate it now. I hate it! Ahhh! Everything Lucasarse knocks out is star wars!!!! Recently they tried to do another few adventure games. It's been a really slow and lame attempt so far. I mean S+M2 is hardly original, but I guess if they're gonna risk their necks with adventure games, they'll risk their necks with tried and tested formulas. Full Throttle 2 was never gonna work without certain people on the team.

I don't want any more sequels of ANYthing!!! Ahhh.

Kweepa

My GOD Yufster!
Stop going on about Psychonauts! It looks like a pretty platform game, but really, who cares?
Plus, I don't think Tim Schafer is going to employ you if you haven't played Grim Fandango. Sell your sister into slavery, buy a copy, enjoy. It's only 20 euros.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005B4P5/ref=sr_aps_videogames_1_1/026-7638528-6148465

Steve
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

DGMacphee

I don't want a sequel.

It's ended perfectly -- Why unend it?
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Czar

I dont want to see Puerto Zapato and the rest of the world, because that is a part of the brilliance of the game, its mystery and strange connections, this is the part where you use your imagination.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Meowster

Hang on... wait....

Wasn't there a Grim Fandango 2 planned anyway? I remember hearing about it at the same time as Sam n Max2 and Full Throttle 2. Was it cancelled? They planned MI5 and Grim Fandango 2, I'm sure of it.

Anyway. I'll talk about Psychonauts as much as I want, thank you very much. In fact, I think I'll talk about it right now. Psychonauts! Psychonauts!!! PSYCHONAUTS!!!!!

Rincewind

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Sat 04/10/2003 22:16:39
thats some pro editing ;)

Heh, sorry - I actually meant to write Dark Stalkey first, but then I wrote your name instead... :)
No offense, I agree with you as well...

And yeah, the person who wrote the petition could perhaps have been a bit more professional and less childish and "Pleeze make a sequel 'cos it rocks and stuff"-ish...  

Hm, I think I'll just go off to join the LSA and forget all about this silly thing...  Cheerio...

Scummbuddy

alright, calm down yufster... yes it was written on some german website for future titles from LucasArts, not arse, but LucasArts commented that Monkey 5 is a strong possibility, but not for awhile and that Grim 2 wasn't even being considered at that time.

That game was so long and so great.  I too believe I had a tear at the end, but I dont want them ruining such a great game.  Im perfectly happy with them attempting a sequel, of course id play it, but id rather them not.  Id rather them do the same thing they did and strike out and create another adventure idea.  

And I do believe Grim actually did sell well, over the years.  But not right away.
Did you play RTX Red Rock?  That was a new game not at all star wars.  I will say that KOTOR was a super fantabulous game and I can't wait for it to become a platinum hit to buy it, cause im in college and i cant afford to buy 50 games. even though ive rented it enough to pretty much pay for it.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

|Alky|

I've convinced myself that the afterworld is like Grim Fandango. The whole heaven and hell thing sucks in comparison ^_^
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

We're going back to the tick tock to get the boo-boo. Send for backup. - Baby's Day Out

m0ds

Full Throttle II - DEAD!
Sam & Max II - IDLE!
GF 2 - DIED BEFORE IT WAS EVEN STARTED!

I won't say that game sequels don't sell or work (just look at Half Life II and Halo II for eg), but IMHO, sequels are a movie thing.

m0ds

Privateer Puddin'

idle? since when? :O don't you mean foy ;)

m0ds

FoY idle? Since when? Don't you mean your game?

:P

Privateer Puddin'

yes, sadly so, this git doing my music hasnt done it yet ;)

m0ds

Yeah, N3T never composed on time for me either.

Oh well.

Trapezoid

Where'd you hear that SaM2 is idle?

Steve McCrea

Sequels are a movie thing?
That's pretty funny coming from the project lead of an Indiana Jones game :)
Day of the Tentacle? MonkeyIsland 2? Fate of Atlantis?
It's lucky you were kidding.

Miez

Quote from: Steve McCrea on Mon 06/10/2003 09:21:13
Sequels are a movie thing?
That's pretty funny coming from the project lead of an Indiana Jones game :)

Ah - but Indiana Jones is so much more than mere movie or game material. It's a way of life.  ;)

Meowster

Let's not forget the highly anticipated Metal Gear Solid II (Actually, the PS1 MG was also a sequel to the NES version....) and the MANY, MANY Final Fantasy Games, each more highly anticipated than the last... even if 10 DID suck liquid crap... Devil May Cry II... Uh.... other games.....

Sometimes they just don't work though.

Take for the following golden examples:

Flashback
A great platform game where you star as Conrad Hart, trying to get off an alien planet or something. Featured great graphics, loads of new and interesting locations and some other stuff, probably. Like cool music.
Flashback II: Fade to Black
OOooo, what happened, Delphine? You fucked up this time! Who would have guessed nobody wanted to see 200 different ways of the player character dying? Looks like you spent too much time focusing on how the player could FUCK UP! So you forgot the ending, huh?

Alone in the Dark
Completely spinechilling, it messed with your head. This was in a time before things crashing through windows were mandatory in ALL games. AitD was the first survival horror game, so things jumping out of shadows and creaking floorboards... they really did freak you out. The only complaint I have against this game is that if you chose the female player character, it meant hobbling along on high heels, and going, "Eeek!" every time you kicked something. Inevitably, you would miss what you were kicking, because you were a girl.
Alone in the Dark 2
Did anybody ever even play this? Because if you did, you may have leprosy.

7th Guest
This Game Sucked
7th Guest 2
There is a reason there was never a sequel.

Keen 1-4
Yay! Keen!
Keen 5-6
My EYES, my goddamn EYES, you BASTARDS.

Little Big Adventure
Oh little big adventure! I'll never get tired of Little Big Adventure!
Little Big Adventure: The Next One, with the Aliens
I hate myself.

Now, while a Grim Fandango 2 COULD work... it's Tims baby, and it's not gonna take the bottle for anybody else. So that's why I say NAY!!! Let's not add it to the list of Great Games with Crap Sequels. Let it remain forever immortal. If anybody else mentions that I haven't played it, I'll snap their necks.  

m0ds

Don't diss LBAII, or you won't get this GF box set thing!

m0ds

Privateer Puddin'

sigh

MGS2 > you

Alone in the Dark 2 > you

oh and LBA2 > you

Meowster

What am I saying!?? LBAII kicked ass! Not just any ass, but TEH ass!!! TEH!!!! 0mg 0mg 0mg!!!! LBAII! Man, do I love LBAII!!!!

And, er, you? What?

Privateer Puddin'

yes, lba2 kicked giant robot ass.

Meowster

I don't know. It sort of pissed me off.

Is the box shiney, Mark? Is it sexy? Is it a sexy box? Is it too big to fit through my mail slot?

Because dude, I wouldn't want the postman to leave it on the doorstep so it gets all wet with rain or anything.

Scummbuddy

7th Guest kinda had a sequel... 11th Hour.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Shattered Sponge

Flashback was a sequel to Another World, was it not?

Privateer Puddin'

yes, but fade to black was a sequel to that :/

Meowster

Ah yeah, Another World.... But I don't think it was really a sequel, was it? More an ELABORATION, or something. They weren't really the same game at all.

As for 11th hour... I don't think that was a sequel either. But I do remember thinking it was incredibly funny. So bad it was in fact, hilarious.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Yufster^_^ on Mon 06/10/2003 18:31:15
Flashback II: Fade to Black
OOooo, what happened, Delphine? You fucked up this time! Who would have guessed nobody wanted to see 200 different ways of the player character dying? Looks like you spent too much time focusing on how the player could FUCK UP! So you forgot the ending, huh?

Hahahaha.  I found Fade to Black in a bargain bin and I got all excited.  Then I got it home, popped it in, and played for about 20 minutes before I got bored out of my mind.

As for the ALone in the Dark sequels... I LIKED them!  :)  The third one which took place in the wild west ghost town was especially cool.  

MrColossal

Heart of The Alien was the sequel to Another World or Out of This World depending on the country you live
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Minimi

I had bought this game, Grim Fandango like 2, or 3 weeks ago, and I haven't completed it yet. Didn't had much time to play either, but it sure is a good game. But as far as I can tell... you should only make a sequel if it's neccesary for the story. Like there are some unfinished clues... and otherwise, leave it alone, and keep it holy.

Las Naranjas

11th Hour was a sequel. It was exactly the same as the previous game except there was an annoying hint computer thing and the palette was desturated more for some reason.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

remixor

I haven't bothered to read all the posts in this thread, because I think this exact same thread has actually come up in these forums before, but GF2 would be a terrible idea.  We don't need a sequel to the "best skeleton game" of all time because the first one tied up the story perfectly.  No need to dilute its greatness by turning it into a franchise.

Quote from: Yufster^_^ on Mon 06/10/2003 12:21:377th Guest
This Game Sucked
7th Guest 2
There is a reason there was never a sequel.

...except for The 11th Hour

QuoteKeen 1-4
Yay! Keen!

Yay! Sequels!

QuoteMy EYES, my goddamn EYES, you BASTARDS.Now, while a Grim Fandango 2 COULD work... it's Tims baby, and it's not gonna take the bottle for anybody else. So that's why I say NAY!!! Let's not add it to the list of Great Games with Crap Sequels. Let it remain forever immortal. If anybody else mentions that I haven't played it, I'll snap their necks.  

...says the person who has never played Grim Fandango.

EDIT: Ok, so someone else already pointed out the 11th Hour thing...
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

bspeers100

I think you're all wrong and I'm right!

Helm

WINTERKILL

Matt Brown

I think this officaly Helm's new catch phrase
word up

Privateer Puddin'

but the power of helm compels you is much better  :'(

remixor

Quote from: Teh Pandanator on Tue 07/10/2003 21:09:24
I think this officaly Helm's new catch phrase

Well, it has been half of his last dozen posts.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Scummbuddy

Quote from: rEmiX0r!!11one on Tue 07/10/2003 02:52:49

EDIT: Ok, so someone else already pointed out the 11th Hour thing...

I'm more than just somebody... I'm SCUMMBUDDY  ;)
-Hoagie from DOTT

jannar85

They will be producing GF2.. But instead of making it an adventure, they're making it a pc-shooter with dialogues.

But heck, signed anyway.
But I won't buy it if my above statement is correct.
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk