New job.. couldn't find "where do you work" topic

Started by TheYak, Tue 07/10/2003 23:21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

TheYak

Just wanted to blather about new employment.  I get to work for LucasDigital/Industrial Light & Magic.  Granted, it's only a security position but getting to work for one of my favorite companies is still wonderful.  The pay's nice too (An average of $16.30 / hour).   Of course, the hours suck..  suck pretty hard..  60 hours a week.

Minimi

What the heck??? Where do they even get the money from??? I only get $3,03 every hour... ok ok.. im 16, and work in the supermarket.. but still.. 16 dollar! That's much! But well... I think it's more important that you like your job, than to have a good loan, although more money is always welcome ;)

remixor

Nice, Yak.  Those are some pretty extreme hours but the pay seems good.  You'll pull down almost a grand per week pre-taxes.  And yeah, it's definitely cool that the company is LD/ILM.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Domino

Hey, Congratulations. You got your foot in the door and can only move up from there. Even though the hours might suck, just think of what might come with a job well done.

p.s. kissing everyones butt also helps.  :)

shawn

TheYak

Yep, I'm stuck at this position for 2 years (or until the new San Francisco - Presidio complex is complete) at which point I'll continue on in Security or have gotten myself a degree in some graphical area and attempt to move on in the company.  The benefits kick ass too..  401k matched, full health, full dental, full vision, 2 weeks paid vacation/year, full pay for jury duty, 13 national holidays off (paid) per year (or if I have to work 'em, I get 2x pay ($28/hour)).  

Minimi... the pay seems outrageous, but consider that to live in the city I'd work in, I'd probably have at least $2000/month rent.  The minimum wage is $6.75 per hour (correct me if I'm wrong, someone). Gas costs me $2.18 a gallon, a gallon of milk is $3.75 and I just recently bought some work clothes, 1 shirt and 1 pair of khakis for $60.  I think it's a tad more expensive here..  :P

Matt Brown

min wage in america isnt 6 bucks, I think its 5.50. Small bussiness are exempt, as well as profesisons that get tips. (my older sister, as a waitress, got 2.01 an hour.)

for the record, I make 8.50, and Im 16. The trick Is finding is to learn a skill. I'm proficient in computers. Im getting A+ certified. Therefore, I can command a much higher rate of pay then most kids my age.  I highly recomend for youths, (or anyone working to pay of uni for example, people who arent ready to go into their profesison of choice) would be to learn something like computers, or weilding, or something, so you dont have to slave in a supermarket or restuarunt for 5 bucks.

anyways, congrats on your job yak. I hope you stick with it, and are treated well
word up

Evil

Wow, my father works from 8 to usually 9 and he doesnt make near that much...

TheYak

It all depends upon where you live.  Minimum wage in the US (like sales tax) varies from state to state.  Sales tax, however, varies from county to county in California.  Anyway, min wage in Cali is either 6.25 or 6.75, don't remember which.  In some states, certain service-fields can make less.  In North Carolina, my sister was earning 2.25 an hour since her tips were expected to make up the rest.  What a horrible system when the money people are supposed to reward you for good service with, is taxed and treated like part of your normal wage.  

Panda's advice is good..   definately don't wait too long before getting a certification in computers, welding, etc.  You don't wanna be looking for gas-station or fast-food jobs.  Air Conditioning is an excellent field.  If I didn't hate the hell out of it, I could be earning anywhere from $50-$120 dollars an hour with my Universal Tech certification.

MillsJROSS

I've worked at a grocery store for several years Panda, and while it might not seem like a glamorous job, or maybe the pay isn't as good as other jobs, it isn't the worst of jobs. I get to determine my availability, for one, how many hours I'd like (and they are usually pretty good about keeping near that number), and advancment is fairly fast, compared to other high paying jobs. I also have job security, and if worse comes to worse and my true asipirations don't work out, I can always get a managment position (where the pay is fairly high at a min o 30per hour, for store manager, and 250,000a year for regional manager).

So people, don't blow off a grocery job just yet, because in the long run it can pay off. And its flexible around my uni schedule, so that I can schedule work around my classes, and not the other way around.

While I haven't worked at a restaurant, I've known people who could pull 200 to 300 dollars in a six hour shift, and that's nothing to sneer at, either (for a college job).

I agree, though. Specializing in an area is a good thing, but working at a grocery store or even a restaurant for a few years isn't a negative.

Also I think min wage is determined by state. Over here, I believe its 5.25

(Back to topic)
And congrats Yakspit for your job. Sounds like it pays well, and has all the goodies and extras that come with a job. Stick with it, it sounds like it'll pay off.

-MillsJROSS

Darth Mandarb

Yak - that's awesome!  I'd do any job just to be in that company!  Congrats!

And hey!

One of the best jobs I ever had was at a grocery store.  I never had more fun at a job and I even made decent money!  I was the assistant manager of the frozen foods dept.  (there were only 2 of us and the other guy was the manager!)

But man did we have some fun.

And there was nothing like summer time working in the frozen foods dept.  All the ladies coming 'round with their light summer clothes on hittin' that cold freezer air ....

ahhh ... the memories.

darthMANDARB

TheYak

Ok, we shouldn't necessarily knock the grocery jobs aside.  Gas stations pay better than fast-food as well.  I'm just saying you can't count on getting one of the jobs that doesn't require specialty education when there are dozens of others trying for the same thing.  I actually applied at a gas station and grocery store.. thank god I didn't get those or I wouldn't be meeting George Lucas on the 27th.  ;)

remixor

I know in many states it's different, but in California you get a minimum wage no matter what.  Doesn't matter if it's a small business or if you're a waiter who gets tips, you must get the minimum wage.  I'm almost positive it's currently 6.75.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Matt Brown

I guess it must be different where you go See, where I live, those jobs are grossly unattractive. here's why.

1) its a small town, with few job openings, but lots of kids trying to get them. You dont get much job sercuirty, because if you cant work when they need you do, there are 20 other kids just as good as you who want your job

2) our grocery store is small. thus, you only get 5 bucks an hour, thus bypassing some min. wage law

3) they dont even hire much

now, maybe working at a big bear (or whatever huge grocery chain youy have where you are) might be different. We dont have any of those, and when I think "grocery store", im thinking of the little "bob's IGA" on teh corner where I live

oh, and DM. hahaha
I think these two major cons in my area make such a job very unattractive
I suppose I should have been more thoughtful in my comments.  
word up

Gilbert

At least you're well paid, I have the word "senior" in my post, yet I don't even make half of your wages.

* Gilbot V7000a envies Yakspit and kills all AGSers!11!  >:(

Just Kidding of course. ;D

taryuu

minimum wage for waiters in florida is 2.13.  

per hour.

talk about shit pay.

and you make 16.30 AMERICAN per HOUR!!! plus 20 hours overtime!   you can invite me over for some crystal and brie anytime buddy.
I like having low self-esteem.  It makes me feel special.

taryuu?

TheYak

Yeah, it's stupid of me to think this way since I haven't gotten my 1st paycheck yet and the cost-of-living is horrid here, but I admit I feel almost ..  wealthy.  I won't have money-worries, at least.  I just won't have a life, either.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk