What is wrong with me

Started by jetxl, Wed 08/10/2003 12:44:18

Previous topic - Next topic

jetxl

I buy and download a lot of games. Most of them are classics like Deuse Ex, Outcast, Soldier of Fortune, GTA1&2 or sierra games like the whole quest for glory series.
But I don't play them. They just sit there in mint condition.
I played most game for not even an hour.
I bought Unreal the awakening and I havn't even played it for an half hour, just like Carmageddon and Delta Force 2. I havn't even unwrapped Decent 2 (I felt sorry for the game, the box was standing there for at least 3 years). Same thing with the downloads. I got the walktroughs, but I only came as far as the intro screen.
It's not that I don't want to play the games. I'm not an collector.
I want to finish each game. See the ending. Play the game again with another character. But for some reason I never do.

Igor

>>What is wrong with me?<<
Too much money?  ;)

Barcik

Well how about you sit and play the games...
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Dave Gilbert

My problem is that I get bored of new games very quickly.  It has to have a REALLY interesting story in order to keep me playing.  Which is why I like adventures in the first place, I guess.

Eggie

Seriously? How much is it just to sit down and finish somt

Timosity

Nothing is wrong with you, you just have to be in the right mood.

Sometimes I can play numerous games for weeks/months on end and after I finish them the last thing I want to do is play another.

sometimes I play one game, and after, not feel like playing another for months.

sometimes I'm not in the mood to play a game at all, and then I just play one and if I really get into it, I'm back playing them all again.

You have the games there, they probably won't run away, so if you ever feel like it, just play one, there's no rush.

Pessi

I have the exact same problem. Right now I've got that problem only with an acrylic painting. I bought a canvas about three weeks ago and I want to paint, but for some reason I haven't started it yet. Even though I've had the time.

I think Timosity got it right, at least for my case - I just don't feel like it. I want to paint, but I want to do it when I'm in the right mood and the result is optimal. I wouldn't want to ruin it by forcing it.

I suppose it's the same thing with Grim Fandango, my brother and my best friend keep telling me it's one the best games ever, yet I haven't starter playing it - even though I'd like to play some adventure game! I suppose I don't want to spoil that either without the correct atmosphere. Well, that and the fact that I've seen half of the game here and there by watching my brother play it. :)

Paranoia

i do the same,  i dowmloaded a psx emulator and all the patches so i could run silent hill on the pc, played it for 10 mins, downloaded games for it, never touched them, i get 3d software but never use it, i have loadsof game making software but still only use ags! my problem is i get bored reading the manuals, and want to get started,  and end up lossing it when it goes wrong! :-\

Meowster

If I were you, I would open each box and deeply inhale the gorgeous odour of video game packaging.

I used to do that with my Monkey Island 1 and 2 boxes, even before I knew I was insane about those games. They were like a comfort blanket. DOTT smelled a bit bitter to be comforting. MI1 had a nice woody smell, and MI2 was gorgeous and cardboardy and sweet.

Honest. Try it. It's really good.

Sniff MI1.

Sniff it.

Isn't it relaxing?

Ginny

I don't think anything is wrong with you, I envy you.
I wish I had piles of games still pacakaged, ready to be opened for the first time. Ahh...

well, that does it, I've made up my mind: i just won't open TLJ2, Syberia 2, Discworld Noir right away whern I buy them. Oh ok, maybe that's impossible. Unless I buy several games at once, like the BS series I need to get :P

Yufster: Sniffing sounds fun :D *tries it* yep, smeels great!
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Meowster

See, everybody thinks I'm insane for sniffing boxes. They think I'm hiding glue in there or something. But it's comforting. Gentle, gentle cardboard aromatics....

Ginny

Heh, yeah. DVD boxes smell a little like glue or markers that have an addicting smell, but cardboard boxes are better :)

I dream that one day I will buy a heap of games at once and play them through slowly :D The situation you describe does happen to me with amateur games sometimes, mostly because they're free, so if I download several at once, I don't play them all right away. I sometimes don't even play one, if I'm busy doing something else at that moment, which often happens when downloading games.

As for manuals thpugh, I love reading them over and over, the thicker the manual the better. I always read them before I even install the game, not because I think I can't play or install it without the manual, I just do. That's why I love the Sims' manual and even more those of Paraoh and Zeus. Black and White has pretty nice length manuals too ;). I even read the manual to KQ VGA before playing!

This sunject has reminded me of something else I was wondering: Do you collect games? Do you have multiple copies of a game? etc. Personally I want to someday have a huge collection of games, and I will rebuy GF as soon as I can aswell, cause I lost the box and the manual (which were in hebrew anyway, bah).

Highjack not intented ;)

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Raggit

I have the same problem.

Except its with making games not playing them!!!!

I start making them but then I stop!!!!!   I wish I could make a game.    :'(

However, I love playing games.  Maybe you are just getting the wrong kind of games. Buy whatever sincearly appeals to you.   And also, what I do before buying a game is I look it up, read reviews and stuff and then wait a short period of time before buying to make sure I really want it and it's not just temporary interest.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Las Naranjas

Thanks to various contacts I've got a enough AG's to last me for years.

www.sylpher.com/novomestro/gamelist.html

(and those are just CD games).

I've probably finished less than half.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

jetxl

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I don't see myself as a collector, but there was a time I wanted every adventure game ever made.

And about having to much money. Well most games I buy are budget titles.

Ginny

Quote from: jetxl on Thu 09/10/2003 15:17:09there was a time I wanted every adventure game ever made.

Heh, me too. Now I just want every good adventure game ever made :)

AGA

Esseb

You must've mistaken this for the "brag about your adventure game collection" thread aga.

Also where have you been?

ratracer

I have kind of the same problem - although I stopped buying games that often (at the golden age of adventure games I used to buy 4 or 5 games a month - but I played those)...

My only problem is AGS, once I got into it, I only played Syberia and half a dozen AGS games and replayed some 3 or 4 old games... that in two years time - That's a poor average since I usually played more than  20 games per year...

Pumaman

Quote from: AGA on Fri 10/10/2003 10:15:12
www.agagames.com/advlist.html

AGA? But I thought you were dead!

You must've mistaken this for the "brag about your adventure game collection" thread aga.

Well you know what they say Esseb, a man with a large adventure game collection is simply making up for deficiencies elsewhere
 :P

Meowster

Yeah, he doesn't have many First Person Shooters or RPGs.

jannar85

Same with me. I've downloaded a dozens AGS games, bought Syberia, The Mystery of the Druids, and The Last Express - and have I finished them? Nooo! I've just played Syberia and the AGS games a bit (!).

The only games I've completed would be CSI and Runaway for the past couple of months.

I haven't even completed a lot of games in my collection!
I'm a failure as a pirate...

um... gamer.
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

AGA

Esseb, don't claim innocence, I've spent the last month in your bedroom, and you know it.

eVOLVE

Whenever I get a new game, I always have to play it right away... I used to always read the manuals fully before starting it at all, but that's changed recently... I guess when I was younger it would be the kind of thing that would take my attention on the car journey home, but now I play so many games that I just don't really have time to read the manual unless I come across something that I couldn't work out without it. Infact, many of the games I play, I don't have the manuals to (no, not because of warez or anything like that, but because I'm a games reviewer and many press copies have no manual with them - another reason why I play so many games).

Strangely though I do try and get through all of the games I play, at least if only once, even after I've reviewed it if it's an especially long game. I'd say 95% of the games I play I complete, and the other 5% are probably vague about the 'ending' or just so bad that I can't wait to leave them alone after I've played it enough to review it.

Quite a lot more modern games have in-game tutorials now though, so you rarely are required to read the manual either. Even the complicated Final Fantasy games tend to have some kind of tutorial system in-game that can guide you quite successfully through.

I'll shut up now, especially since I'm just putting off writing up my review of another game that I really should get written tonight.
James 'eVOLVE' Hamer-Morton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk