robbed

Started by rodekill, Thu 16/10/2003 04:40:21

Previous topic - Next topic

rodekill

We were robbed today.

My entire DVD collection, gone.
Playstation 2 and all the crap that goes with it, gone.
Same for Gamecube.
I'm still investigating for more.

The worst are the DVDs, because I had a lot, like over 50, and some were limited edition and are out of print now.

Oh, and we may not be covered by insurance.

Also, there are about 600 finger prints all over the place, but apparently police don't investigate breaking and entering, so too bad.

So basically, feel free to rob whomever you want, because as long as you aren't caught in the act, you're free to do whatever you please.

Do cops actually do anything? I'm serious here, what are they for? Seems like if it's not a murder, riot, or traffic violation then they write a little report and go off to Burger King (yeah, I saw the cop that was at our place there right after). I swear, there are greasy fingerprints everywhere. Couldn't they at least put them on file or something? Or is that too logical?

I suppose that's a bit dramatic, but I can't think of an instance ever when a cop has helped me with anything. Even when I was almost killed in a hit and run accident, they were rude and insensitive. I was in fucking shock and they just made a report and sent me on my way.

edit: Oh yeah, and I broke a tooth in half today. GOOOO ME!
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

DGMacphee

Shit, first hacked now robbed.

If there is a God, Rode, I'm gonna kick his ass for you.

And cops are hopeless -- Once, when my old car was stolen, the cops found it and said I had to move it cause it was blocking the road.

However, I could only move the car without touching anything, cause of prints.

How the fuck am I supposed to move it when I can't even touch the steering wheel or gear shift, Einstein???

It takes a certain kinda mentality to be a cop -- a fucking hopeless mentality.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Gilbert

Rode, I feel sorry hearing that, these robbers do know where and what to rob, truly.

Maybe some of your lost treasures will be available in the Motherland sooner or later... :(

Bionic Bill

that's terrible rode...

the only experience i've had with the police is extreme grumpiness over traffic violation, and absolutely no help when my friend's place got robbed. it wouldn't surprise me that if you made a stink about it, they might do something about the obvious evidence left. i don't know though; when my friend lost a tv, he didn't care enough to bother about it.

Quintaros

Yeah that's the really rotten, Rode.  Whenever I get ripped off (and it happens often enough), I always feel worse about the violation than the actual loss of possessions.  It always puts a crimp on my faith in human nature.  

Grundislav

My sympathies, Rode. My house has been broken into 3 times, and as a result it looks like a jail with all the bars all over the place.

The cops are useless when it comes to robberies, and there really is no worse feeling than thinking some complete stranger came into your home and took your stuff. I hate thieves with a passion. Don't worry though, I'm sure karma will do something good for you soon.

Scummbuddy

Jeez, I'm sorry as well. I can't believe that they won't investigate.  Why wouldn't they.  Have you gotten an explanation as to why they don't?  I'm curious.  Why dont you just become a vigilante, kinda like CLeks... but without a boss.find out who did this yourself.  You'd be a rogue, you'd live your own adventure.  Then you'd come back and make a game out of it.  Or just make the game now.

Seriously, I'm sorry that this happened.

Gilbot, were you referring to the motherload?  Cause I wanted to laugh, but I didn't know to laugh or say thats not funny.  But i kinda laughed. :-[

Yeah, seeing the cop right after coming to your house just lounging around would really piss me off too.  
Make this into a game. You go around town and investigate it.  You can stop at the local BurgerKing and see the cop.  Stuff like that.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Las Naranjas

Police have finite resources. Whilst they could investigate, they would be under an obligation to investigate every robbery.

And there are alot of robberies.

Thus their role in incidences like this is reduced to a taker of statistics and a verification stamp for insurance.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

rodekill

Thanks guys. Sometimes you just need to feel the sympathy.

And yeah, I understand the theory behind it. There are too many robberies to investigate blah blah, but I mean, wouldn't the fact that punks know that these crimes aren't investigated only lead to more robberies?

What a disaster.

You know, once in high school I told a girl that one day she'd see a story on the news about a real-life Batman, and it would be me. This may be that day.

Anyways, my big fear now is that they'll return for all the stuff they missed the last time, which, while not likely, includes my old adventure games and my guitar, and so I've decided to build an ingenious trap of somekind. Something devious and vile. Like an eyeball-melting-acid-device.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Grundislav

Hehe yeah Rode, I know exactly how you feel.  Part of the feeling of violation is that fear that they'll return. I remember setting up a trap the last time we were robbed. I put a chair against the door or something like that.  I doubt they'll come back though. Now that you're expecting them, it'd be rather dumb of them to.

Lucky

x.X Sorry to hear that.

remixor

Damn dude, that's quite shitty.  That's a bunch of bullshit, regarding the police, too.  I can't even believe they would act that way, even if it is a logistics thing.

I know how you feel, in some part anyway.  My entire CD collection was stolen a few months ago.  I've been rebuilding it since then, but it's a pretty damn daunting task and I don't know if I'll ever get it back to what it was.

Best of luck destroying the bastards if they come back.

Speaking of cops, I've met great cops who were very acommodating and have let me off with more speeding warnings than I deserve, but then again there's the time my friends and I were literally being chased for almost an hour (and fucking almost SHOT) by four guys in a Honda, and when we called 911 we were told "I'm sorry, we can't send out a vehicle until one of you has been injured", despite that I know for a fact that all the local cops do is hang out at 7-11 (it's notorious in my town).  By the time we finally lost the guys, we harboured a fairly intense animosity against law enforcement...
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Timosity

That sucks heaps, being robbed sucks,

In 1995 I was robbed and they stole my 8086 which had the only copy of an adventure game I created in GW basic, I had it somewhere on a 5.25 floppy but don't know where it is or have a drive to use it.

They took my stereo, and some cd's, some rare ones too,

It was odd that they left the tv in the lounge room, and the only stuff stolen was from my room, The front door was broken. I had suspicions of one of my house mates but couldn't prove anything. He even used his insurance and ptretended it was his room to get it.

I ended up getting a better stereo, but my computer game was gone, They left the funny looking plant that had been sitting on my stereo too.

I'll never know the truth.

Nostradamus

That really sucks Shawno.
I can't think of losing my movies or games collections.

Don't worry about it happening for the 2nd time because criminals do not return to the scene of the crime.
But anyway consider putting better locks on your front door.
And if insurance doesn't cover that lose that oinsurance cos it ain't worth a shit anyway and go to an insurance company that will actually give you money when stuff like that happen. GI mean damn you pay to them every month and when finally something happens that you need their help and they ignore you.

Since the bastard-no-good-donout-eating-"move-along-nothing-to-see-here"-idiot-cops aren't doing anything about it, this sounds like a mission for Rodney Kill to me  ;)

Anym

Im sure this crime was inspired by the game 5 Days  Stranger which proves once again that computer games are responsible for all the society's ills. Not just violence, but also crimes against property.  :P

Seriously tough, sorry for you. :(

Bad cops, bad cops,
Bad cops, bad cops.

Bad cops, bad cops,
Bad cops, bad cops.

Springfield cops are on the take,
But what do you expect for the money we make?
Whether in a car or on a horse,
We don't mind using excessive force!

Bad cops, bad cops,
Bad cops, bad cops.
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

SSH

Insurance tip: use a digital camera to take photos of important things that you want to prove to the insurance company that you had. Store photos outside house (ie. on work womputer, or website (hidden) or both, on CD given to friend, etc.)

Another tip: thieves quite often come back a do a place again once the insurance company has replaced all your old stuff with shiny new stuff, so do that trap

In the UK, the poilce now say that they won't even investiate a burglar alarm going off unless it is a monitored one (ie you pay a subscription to a monitoring company...!)

However, if you're going to investigate yourself as some have suggested, there is one question: if was there any broken glass, which side of the window was it?????

DragonRose

That really sucks, Rode.  Please don't feel bad about all cops, though.  My cousin is a cop, and he really does try to help people.

However, just to prove that robbers are morons... it's story time with Auntie Dragonrose.

My dad used to work at the planning and development offices for my hometown.  They recently changed offices, because the old building was quite old, and there was a lot of structural stuff that they don't use anymore.  For example, an enourmous walk in safe.  They didn't really keep anything important in there, just some archived road designs.

One day, my dad comes into work, to discover the police are there. It turns out that someone had broken a window and had broken into the offices.  They had shifted some extremely large filing cabinets that are next to the door to the safe out of the way. Then they dug a hole through the wall into that safe.  It must have taken them quite some time, because the wall was really thick.  Now, I'm sure they were quite disappointed to discover nothing but road plans.  They left without taking so much as a piece of paper, and completely ignored the state-of-the-art, brand new computer systems that had been recently given to all the executives, as well as the smaller safe that they have for when people pay for building permits parking tickets.

So poor robbers got away with nothing but some heavy excercise.  But what makes their time of labour, pouding away at the wall even more rediculous is this: the safe is never, ever locked.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Nellie

Man, that sucks, Rode.  We've been burgled twice, but they only took generic crap like the TV and stereo, so I can't imagine what it's like to lose a collection of your personal belongings.

:(

c.leksutin

Rode:

Thats fucked!  if you want, I'll start hanging out on your door-step with a gun or something.  

I was robbed once, while I was home, they tried to rough me up a bit, but didn't do a very good job.  not only did they NOT get anything, but I managed to get one of their hats.   I never told the police, because I plan to find them my self....

C.

Robert Eric

Don't worry, Rode.  Once I'm done watching the DVDs, I'll send them back to you.

How did they break in?  Pick the lock?  Break a window?  Found the key under the doormat?  That completely and utterly sucks.  I have to agree about the police part.  The law enforcement in this country has become (and for many places have been) a complete joke.  If it wasn't for my dog, my downstairs tennants, and the alarm system I had put in, I would have been robbed many times.  Seriously, get a dog.  Not those small barking attrocities, but a large one.  Times up.  I have to go.  I'll finish this post later.

* Robert Eric ducks under his desk
Ã, Ã, 

Darth Mandarb

Man that bites Rode ...

I had a punk break into my car once and stole a shit load of CDs.

I didn't tell the cops though, because you're right ... on the whole they don't do shit.

A buddy of mine heard somebody braggin' about breakin' into a car so we cornered him and beat some sense into him.  But it wasn't my car he had broken into!  Oops.

Be VERY careful about setting that trap.  There was a shop owner in LA a few years ago who, after several robberies, set a trap.  A kid was killed trying to break in because of the trap and the shop owner was convicted of manslaughter and is still in jail.

I think setting a trap is a good idea ... but just don't rig a shot gun to the door or anything lethal like that :)

my condolences man.

darthMANDARB

JD

QuoteAnd yeah, I understand the theory behind it. There are too many robberies to investigate blah blah, but I mean, wouldn't the fact that punks know that these crimes aren't investigated only lead to more robberies?

Reminds me of something that was on the news here a while ago. It was about people not paying at the gas station after they've filled up their tank. They would just drive away. And they said on the news that the police wouldn't do a damn thing about it. And after this was on the news, the amount of people not paying but just driving away after tanking increased with 50%. Hooray for the police!

TheYak

I can understand why many crimes go uninvestigated.  There are so many crimes and not enough manpower to check them all out.  That said, I've had the following impressions of police:

They take care of their own (or if you apprehend shoplifters for a department store, they also have a sort of kinship with you).

They are generally unsympathetic.  With good reason, I guess.  You can't become emotionally involved with every victim.  

There are good ones and bad ones..  I've had some great experiences and some not so.  A good friend of mine was married, had a kid and her husband beat & threatened the both of them. (The guy hit a 4 year-old kid!) The police did nothing about it after repeated complaints.  The only thing they did was show up at the house and ask the guy about it.  Of course, he said it was a misunderstanding, an accident, blah, blah...  Turned out later, his brother is a cop on the city's police force.  That's justice for you.  Thankfully, she finally managed a divorce and thanks to a women's shelter, feels relatively safe.

Privateer Puddin'

wow, i don't know whats worse.. the fact you lost limited edition stuff or the fact that the police won't do anything about it.

Pumaman

What pisses me off is that the police never have time to investigate burglaries, yet they seem to have plenty of time to sit at the side of the road with a speed camera just waiting for someone to stray 1 mph above the limit. The system is corrupt.

Domino

years ago, i had my car broken into and items stolen, and the cops didn't even seem to care.  The thief smashed my back window and grabbed whatever they could. I was pissed, but there was nothing i could do.  Maybe its the Police who are committing all the crimes??  ;)

Sorry Rode about what happened.

Shawn

foz

Sorry to hear what happened....

The police are useless....
Where i live the crime rate has soured.......
Guess the reason why.....

The POLICE STATION closes at 5 p.m

Yes you read that right.......
Its not like i live in a small village ....i live in a borough of greater london....
The nearest police station os 18 miles away....

And their response time is 3 hours later....

I just hope i don`t need them.....or have the back luck rode did..

The charles bronson approach seems to be the way forward......

Laters fOz

CB..

yep i agree..if burgulary assault and any other similar acts were persued with the same tenacity as a parking offence ,then there would be less crime all round...the police not investigating, or following up, on a burgulary because theyre are too many to cover, and not enough man power/money to go round ; is like saying i wont wear shoes today because i can't find my socks...

Quickstrike

Rode:

This brings up the ag old question, "Why do bad things happen to good people?"

My friend's house was burglarized.  The guy struck in the afernoon.  He broke open the basement door, (the house had a way into there from the outside,) went up stairs, stole all their video games, and encountered my friend's dad.  The guy ran like hell.  He was caught, but he sold some of their crap on the black market for drugs. So, they only got some back.  

Bottom line, crooks suck.
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

Pet Terry

Aww man, that really sucks.

Here where I live there's a police who is really into his job. My class friend's father was riding his bicycle and this police came and stopped him because he was going too fast. Then once, this police's neighbours had a garden parties (or something like that) and they invited this police. So, he left the parties early and said that it must be quiet at the 10.00pm. Parties went on, and the next morning there was a ticket in their mailbox. This police has even gave a ticket to his wife.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Matt Brown

bummer rode. getting stuff stolen sucks

When I lived in New Mexico, I got robbed once. This guy smashed a window, stole our TV, Video recorder, and (get this), my Pog Collection. Turns out there was this place down the road where they paid you 50 cents per pog. Thats pretty sad. The cops did nothing about it other the dust around our house looking for fingerprints and making a mess. (they ruined a couple of our library books with fingerprint crap...so we had to buy teh book too!)

Cops Suck Story number 2:

One night, the college kids next door had a huge party. They were all out boozing way into the night, (and they were all underage). by 3 AM, we got pissed, cause we couldnt sleep, so we called the cops. the cops got there at 4 FREAKIN 30!! (like that they get that many calls at 3). All he did was make them go inside.

Then...here's the kicker. the guys got mad. so they began to shoot fireworks. At my house. Luckily, they were too drunk to hit it, but if they had, it would have caught on fire. We told the cops about this too. Nothing.

lovely. Our nation's finest! To serve and protect my arse
word up

Flippy_D

Man, I don't know what else I can add, but you really seem to have the worst of luck. It shouldn't happen to a decent guy. As for C_leks, that was hilarious: "I got one of their hats". Hee hee hee.

In keeping with the situation though, that's really crap, you don't deserve that kind of stuff.

jannar85

Sorry to hear that... Can't you investigate on your own? It's like.. Being in its own adventure game :D CSI :D
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Miez

Bit late - but still - that sucks Rode! It sucks the donkey's earlobes. If it was a household appliance it would be one of them bagless vacuumcleaners. That's how sucky this is.  :(

Gemmalah

Oh, it's rough, all of you.
what do the police get paid to do again?

I was out with my little brother on our bikes and some guys, in fact a whole bunch of them came and attacked us. I distracted them and told my brother to ride away, (his bike cost more) but he still ended up with something sharp in his back and my bike got broken.
my brother could name three of them and I could name one. but because there were no whitnesses (over 18) they did nothing even though we came out of it brused and stuff with a broken bike.
Like i'd do that myself for fun ect...
Dragon Slayers demo finally finishedGet it here!

Scummbuddy

Wha?  How can little kids condem a nursery school person for physically abusing them?  Theyre not over 18.  Is it just because that is sexual abuse with children that we overlook that 18year old witness thing, or could you press charges anyways to those who hurt you?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

auhsor

Woah, the people next door got broken into last night. So thats pretty scary, as the only thing thats been stolen of mine before were some bikes a few years ago.

Barcik

Man, that sucks.

I couldn't fail to notice that many of you have been robbed. Is it such a serious problem where you live, because I can hardly say that I know many people who were robbed.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Mr Jake

That really suks :(

I got mugged the other day *like 2 weekends ago) didnt even bother calling the cops, called my Mates and I got my stuff back  as they confronted the drunk and he ran off, then we got in a jeep (my mates dad driving as he was there too) and the 6 off us went after him :) that was a good night :)

remixor

Did you beat his ass?
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Mr Jake

he didnt find the lucky git, would have been fun if we did >:)

Simple

Maybe we should take up a collection.  If each one of us sends Rode ONE dvd, then he'll be back up to his collection of 50 in no time.  What's more, we can send him ones we don't like, so that he won't feel so bad if they get stolen again.

I'll contribute Raising Arizona.  It's not very funny and there aren't any special features, and if you like I can spill coffee on the snapcase.  Let me know.

If this is successful we can start a Pog-drive for Panda, too.

Many kisses!
Larry Vales:  Reloaded production blog:
http://larryvales.wordpress.com

Meowster

Poor Rode!!!! :(

Irish cops are no different. My brother got assaulted EVERY DAY by this kid who lived around the corner, and he started beating him up with hurling sticks and everything, and it wasn't just my brother either. So when about ten residents on our estate reported this kid, we expected Social Services to step in at least... nothing happened. Then, the Dad beat up a nieghbour who went straight to the door to complain, and then he hit my older brother (20) for the exact same thing. Basically, this family beats up anything and everything, and Police and Social Services stay way way away.

Second was one of my work mates. They used to get about 50 people hang around outside their house with flaming sticks and everything, throwing rocks through the window and threatening to kill them. There was some stupid reason for this, but they hadn't really done anything. Every night they'd gather, attacking the house and making threats, and the police? The police said, "They'll probably go away if you ignore them. Give them a week."

Police only work properly on police TV shows.

Barcik

Police works well when there is someone pushing at them to work well.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Timosity

Quote from: Yufster^_^ on Fri 24/10/2003 16:02:03
Police only work properly on police TV shows.

That's cause they get paid much more than real police, plus they have heaps more murders and assaults to contend with.

but jokes asside, imagine if the police had budgets like big time TV shows, maybe then they would have incentive to work a bit harder.

Then again, the TV shows don't worry too much about petty crime either, just murders and assaults

Meowster

I don't get paid as much as I want to, and I don't work in very good conditions. That doesn't mean I'm not going to DO my work.

Plenty of people I know want to be policemen/women when they're older, simply because, "They get it easy." Basically meaning that they spend all day catching people for minor and petty traffic offences (My aunt got caught for doing 31mph in a 30mph zone, and she was also going down a hill at the time, so keeping at 30 would have been extremely hard)

Also, police in Ireland can get away with many crimes themselves, and can get their friends off the hook. They will not investigate a person if it is beneficial to them (to not investigate). Aye.

m0ds

Rode, thats dreadful, I'm really sorry to hear about that. What about your Indy DVD's? :O I can't imagine what it'd feel like to be robbed, but someone stealing the front wheel off my bike was bad enough.

Sympathies to you and, I hope you manage to make some form of insurance claim and replace what you can of what was stolen.

Sorry to hear it again.

But hey, your stuff sold pretty quick at car boot. I made £32.60.

:p
m0ds

rodekill

Thanks everybody.

It was all worth it, because it raised Phil from the grave. Yay robbers!

Moods -> I bought the Indy DVDs a few days later. They ARE my collection now.
peepee

m0ds

Well, compared to what I've got - thats one hell of a collection!

Yeah - theres no greater sympathy than having Phil Reed reincarnate. Thats the first post from c lex I've seen in a long time too.

Things'll come round, I'm sure.

:)
m0ds

Las Naranjas

Quote from: Yufster^_^ on Fri 24/10/2003 16:02:03
Poor Rode!!!! :(

Irish cops are no different. My brother got assaulted EVERY DAY by this kid who lived around the corner, and he started beating him up with hurling sticks and everything,

Second was one of my work mates. They used to get about 50 people hang around outside their house with flaming sticks and everything, throwing rocks through the window and threatening to kill them.

And the worst bit is their designer Anarananjado clothing was stained.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk