How good is space quest 5 ! (rhetorical)

Started by Krynge, Thu 16/10/2003 11:04:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Krynge

That's right - it's a statement!!! I just played space quest 5, and only now did I realise why that game is unique compared with the rest of the series. (Not distinctly, but it's noticable) What makes this game so playable is the number of action-based puzzles that seem to occurr one after another. Like one great exmaple is when you are first taking the test, you have to click the eye icon on your neighbour's test paper in time whilst avoiding the cheating droid. I mean, a lot of us here don't like stupid timed puzzles, but this one is set-up perfectly!!!

Just one more example is the 'Dodge-my-death-loogies" puzzle, (sick but fun!) and then battle ships. I'm telling you, if you haven't played this game, DO SO NOW!!! If you have PLAY IT AGAIN!!! Since the chances of finding this title in your local EB are dismal, here are some words to start your internet treasure hun: "sq5, abandonware, download, space quest 5, free, kazaa, software".

So let us see if you agree... Enjoy!

remixor

I played this game around when it came out in 93 and the graphics kicked my ASS.  I haven't played it since then but I remember really enjoying it.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Lucky

scotch

The only space quest I've really tried to play.  I got as far as the test..

Raggit

I really enjoy SQ5.

I remember when I was little, I used to play around with it but never understood what I was doing!!!
Probably because I couldn't really read.

But yeah, Space Quest 5 is one of the good ones!!! Not as good as SQ4, but still it's one worth replaying.  :)
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

TerranRich

Funny how people usually say that SQ5 sucked.

I too thought it was awesome. I like their method of capturing walking animation, by recording actual real life actors and drawing over them.

I still haven't beaten SQ5 to this day. :P

Trapezoid

Ooooh I love SQ5. It was one of my early adventure games. I'm pretty sure I walkthrough'd the hell out of it, but it's a good example of the kind of excitement one can derive from Sierra's deathtrap-laden style.
Plus it has awesome graphics, music, and atmosphere.

MillsJROSS

I, too, enjoyed SQ5, but it wasn't my favorite. SQ3 was my favorite, for some reason I was able to play that game over and over again. I have played all of the series at least three or four times (and SQ3 probably seven or eight times).

If you like the SQ series some fairly good amatuer games have been made, and are free, that are about roger wilco. You can find them at the virtual broom closet. http://wiw.org/~jess/roger.html

-MillsJROSS

TheYak

I thought SQ5 was great too, but it did have some frustrating moments..  like when you're trying to escape the bitchy she-bot.  My personal favorite is SQ3 (I also played it through countless times) followed by SQ4.  I think part of my rating is based on the variety of death animations..  sq5 re-used many of their animations..   or just changed the death-text, leaving the same picture from the last death.  Dying is half the fun!  Of course, maybe you shouldn't take my opinion seriously because I also liked the Sq1 VGA remake and enjoyed at least 75% of Sq6.  

Timosity

Yeah, the whole series was great, and is one of my favourites, but yes SQ3 was easily my favourite, I've played them all countless times. except 6, I bought it a year or so ago, and I've played it 2wice, and enjoyed it, but I'd like to wait a while before playing it again so hopefully I forget what to do.

That's the problem with most adventures, if you enjoy them you play them too much and learn the puzzles too well.

I've only played GF once, and although some bits will be easy, I'm sure it'll still be a challenge.

If only you could delete the brain cells that stored Adventure games, I guess I'll just have to drink more beer.

Vel

My fave SQ is ]I[, but V is good also - I loved the test puzzle.

remixor

I actually do'nt think I ever beat V.  When it came out I was still quite new to adventures and I remember stuff like test puzzle and a lot of stuff people are mentioning, but I'm pretty sure I never actually beat it.  I need to secure a copy again and rectify the situation.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

auhsor

Yeah, V is pretty good. III Would have to still be my favourite, and i still havn't played 6 yet.

Toefur

3 certainly is the best. I liked 5... it could have been awesome... it was a good game... but it COULD have been awesome... the storyline became really lame and that atmosphere wasn't enjoyable. But it was a good game.

Krynge

well well well.. it seems that Sq3 is the collective favourite!! - Amazing, and I thought I was the only one thought so...

It was actually the first space quest games I played ! I remember recieving it when I was in year 1 or 2 at primary school, it came in a 'Sierra 3' pack which had Space Quest 3, Police Quest 3 and King's Quest 3.

I remember to struggle of kq3 as well, uurrrrggghh now THAT was a hard game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk