Day of the tenatacle...

Started by foz, Mon 27/10/2003 18:27:27

Previous topic - Next topic

foz

Ive just started playing Day of the tentacle again for the millionth time (slight over exageration)..

And this game is still fantastic even all these years later...

It was the first talkie game i`d played all the way back in the days a pentium P60 was a fast machine.

....any way i thought i `d just say that  .......

No reason........ ;D

Meowster

Day of the Tentacle. Come to papa.

We played it on a 486. It was like, the fastest thing since the 386.

Matt Brown

word up

earlwood

I was bigger on the C64 until I saw Day of the Tentacle, I switched back and forth until I saw the awesome force of sierial networking and Doom2 and I was hooked for life.  :)

Gilbert

Well I was still on a 386 while playing this game, still, that 386 was teh only computer that made me think I have a fast computer.

DGMacphee

We bought the CD version of this game along with our very first CD-ROM drive at a computer show!

It was a quad speed too -- Top o' the line!

And it was one with a caddy.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Gilbert

Lucky guy... My first CD Drive was a 1X drive with CADDY, and it's still working...

Meowster

Yeah well mine had a chauffeur.

Timosity

I wish I could still load some games I made in the early 80's on the C64, The tapes for the tape drive lose necessary quality after 20 years.

???cd-roms??? 3.5'' floppies??? like they came out just the other day, and When I finished year 12, 386's were fast and the internet was, well wasn't, but text BBS's were just something nerdy kids played with.

I ignored computers in the mid 90's and got back into it in 98 and caught up on the latest adventure games, and found out the one's I still had were still better. (and is pretty much the same now, bar GF and a lot of AGS games)

But yes, I'll have to replay DOTT sometime, it's definately one of my all time favourites, geez, it's even educational.

Meowster

Actually, George Washington couldn't chop down cherry trees in one swing; it took him at least three.

Pet Terry

DOTT, what a cool game... One of the first adventure games I played. My friend had DOTT, King's Quest V, Larry 1, Monkey Island... on his computer and we played them all the time ^_^

I remember we even had a walkthrough for it, back in 1994 or something ;D
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

DoorKnobHandle

Same opinion as petteri.

DOTT rocks! FOREVER!!!

EDIT: I would even say, that it has been the best adventure ever! [But I didn't play Monkey Island Series this often!]

foz

Finished it............i had forgotten a lot of the puzzles and story.......

The animation is brilliant.......

I just watch and think......if only i could do that...?

They don`t make em like they use to....

Infact they don`t make em at alll.......

Mats Berglinn

Well, myself I have downloaded that game from abandonware this year. Unfortunitly the sound didn't work so I couldn't hear either the music, voices or sound but it still was fun thanks to the humor. Oh how I laughed, especially when Jed got the left-handed hammer and always missed the chissle until he did hit and the statue turned into gravel!  ;D
I'm gonna try to find the new CD version so I can hear the voices and the music.

remixor

DOTT kicks the ass.  It's been a good 8 years or so since I've played through it.  I lost my copy long ago, but I've been trying to find an affordable decent-quality copy on Ebay (ha!).
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

foz

One of the scenes i liked was the bit where fred being questioned by the irs and they tie him in red tape.....the animation as you solve the puzzle is brilliant...........

the irs guy looks thru the window after hearing a noise and you are laying under the mummy character......the irs guy asks if you`re okay and bernard puts his thumbs up.........you have to see it to appriciate it..................

I still think this was a better game than sam and max.....which was considered to be better by most people.

DoorKnobHandle

Use the Scumm Tool if you want to hear the sounds and music and so on. It's great!

DOTT is much better than sam&max I think. (Well, I think it's one of the best game ever).

Meowster

Sam N Max was my least favourite Lucasarts adventure game... I loved it to pieces, but if I had to choose, it would come last. The music often got annoying. But DOTT was totally one of my favourites. Everything... the music, animation, graphics, story, characters... loved it.

Something I often find annoying is when people create horribly brightly coloured zany graphics/backgrounds, and call them DOTT inspired. DOTT was pretty insane in the graphical design, but where people got the idea that it was coloured like acid play-dough, I have no idea. bright purples and yellows and oranges and reds and greens... holy cow people, I thought the colour scheme in DOTT was NICE.

Er, anyway.

Nobody got my joke about the Chaffeur :(

auhsor

Quote from: Yufster^_^ on Wed 29/10/2003 17:11:49
Nobody got my joke about the Chaffeur :(

Heh, i got it and laughed out loud. That was pretty funny.

DOTT was awesome. I think it was the first (and only) adventure game we bought. If only I could still find the box, but I think It's long gone now.

AGA

Quote from: Auhsor on Wed 29/10/2003 23:11:19
I think it was the first (and only) adventure game we bought.

!

Vel

I bought "The dig", "Runaway", "King's quest collection(1-6)", "King's quest 7", "Discworld noir" and "Atlantis II".

Meowster

Really? I must have played nearly every single adventure game...from Lucasarts..But also bunches more....In this order...

Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Day of the Tentacle
Maniac Mansion
Sam n Max
Discworld
Full Throttle
Escape from Delirium
Grim Fandango
The Dig

I never played any of the indy games... curse my heart... but I wanted to :(

auhsor

Well, we did get them all from friends and that. I was a bit young at the time. Like i'm only 17 now. I would have been pretty young then. I would love to get my hand on the SQ3 box with all the stuff inside. I have bought Grim Fandango recently and love it. I will buy every game I get from now on when I get a job.

Heh, I remember our DOTT box came with a hint book, which dad didn't let us read until we finished the game. And we still finished it in a week. A great game, with puzzles that were perfectly integrated in the storyline (the whole time travel thing), but a bit too short. I love that conversation that Hoagie has with the mummy (I forget its name). That bit is so awesome...

Hinders

How do you get freds wife out of the tv-room, and how do you play the secret maniac mansion mini-game?
I´m stuck! :-X
----

AGA

Secret mini-game? There is none. You can play all of the original Maniac Mansion though, just use the PC in the son's room.

MrColossal

does bernard say anything when you win? i never cared enough to play through the whole thing
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Scavenger

Hehe. I have DOTT. On two seperate CDs :P. I remember back in the days when my favourite game was Simon the Sorcerer (and the sequel had never came out. I was like, 5 :P and still completed that game :), though the end puzzle was a hard one. I still have my silk Simon Cloak. Purple and gold and I'm going on about it again...) My cousin was playing DOTT, Full Throttle, Sam and Max.... and I always wanted to play them, but he would never let me, as he would complete them and then claim they were faulty, and get his money back :(. DOTT was the most memorable, me remembering the last Act, with Insane Old Purple Tentacle using his shrink ray... those were good times. When I finally got it myself, it was 2001. Eek! Nostalgia! NOSTALGIA!

(PS - "They were just cancelling my life insurance policy" hehehehe.)

Punch

Bernard doesn't say anything. If you go into Maniac Mansion it quits DOTT. So when you win it just does credits and whatever and then returns to the MM title screen.

So save your game before using the computer. 'cause it sucks losing where you're up to.

- Punch

Hinders

Quote from: AGA on Sun 02/11/2003 00:15:51
Secret mini-game?
I just called MM  mini-game ::)
I also found out, if you change maniac.ovl to maniac.exe you can play the game!
----

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk