New competition suggestion

Started by Meowster, Wed 29/10/2003 21:56:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Felipe

Indeed, this is a good idea. I really liked it.
Just think that, if we decide to go on with it, it would "substitute" the other competitions (like the midi one, background blitz, etc) - which is not bad at all...
I know it's a different thing, but I don't see the need for the others with this one 'running'.
It'd also be a good practice for those willing to work on ("real") game companies - like getting used to deadlines, accepting the project leader's unbelievable (read: weird) ideas and all that.
It would be cool, but "ending" any other similar competition... ;)
Don't blame me - I didn't know it!   (I have the feeling this will come handy...)

-

Meowster

The other competitions could run okay. I mean it would only be once in a while that this competition would clash with a certain other one.

So who's for it? It may take a long time to get a game together, so I think the competitions should be held on a weekly basis. Perhaps if it was something like art and music they could be run together, since it's unlikely that a person would submit to both competitions anyway.

Perhaps also there should be runners up. From one competition, a lead artist would be chosen, who would set the style and oversee the production of artwork, and same for programmers or whatever.

Say, a Lead for every area and then three 'runners up'.

I guess the following areas would be covered in the competition:

- Project Leader
- Lead Background Artist and three runners up
- Lead Programmer and three runners up
- Lead Animator and two runners up (For sprites and stuff)
- Musician, and one co-composer
- Sound Technician, and one co...er, sound technician.

Let's say we had the Project Leader one first, then Background Artists and Music competition runs together, the Animation and Sound run together, and programming on its own. That's four weeks getting together a team, and say we could set a four week deadline, or more if it's a longer game... whatever.

What about this?

remixor

How on earth would you have a competition to determine who's the best project leader?
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Meowster

Everybody submits an idea, and a person is chosen who shows the most imagination and enthusiasm for the project, as well as the best idea.

SSH

Quote from: remixor on Tue 04/11/2003 06:35:37
How on earth would you have a competition to determine who's the best project leader?

A test to see how many management buzzwords you know? That's how it seems to work at my employer  ;)

PureGhostGR

perhaps it would be a good idea to start this small. ;)

Yufster, I think you should compose a mini version of the contest with a simple game in mind.. and see how it goes. :)

Keeping it simple is important. Also the sooner there is a concrete result the better (hence the simple=smaller).

Remember your idea is fresh, so it needs visualization asap.

just my opinion really, good luck with getting this organized.

:)

Miez

This sounds like a bundle-o-fun. I'm in...

Meowster

Okay.

I am contacting the appropriate authorities.

Oops, that was a lie. What I meant to say, was that I will be contacting the appropriate authorities. Right after this intermission.

Pumaman

Quote from: SSH on Tue 04/11/2003 06:43:49
A test to see how many management buzzwords you know? That's how it seems to work at my employer  ;)

Now come on SSH, you're just not appreciating the synergy of the situation - you really need to get out there networking more.

Oh erm yes, about the competition - good idea Yufster, looks like it has backing, so feel free to start it in the C&A forum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk