Horror Films

Started by Quintaros, Sat 01/11/2003 01:50:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Quintaros

I rented a couple horror movies tonight, The Ninth Gate,  and The Haunting (was this movie remade I rented the Robert Wise version).  I haven't seen either before but The Haunting is supposed to be a classic.  I have low expectations for the Ninth Gate but it is directed by Roman Polanski.  Polanski made the only film that ever really scared me, Rosemary's Baby.

Anyway thought I'd start a threat to ask what other peoples favourite horror films were.  Please don't say Psycho or Silence of the Lambs because true horror films, I believe, have a supernatural element to them.

Some of my favourites are: The Exorcist, Angel Heart, An American Werewolf in London, Don't Look Now and Rosemary's Baby.

Barcik

I've seen the trailer of Scary Movie 3 before Kill Bill today. That Micheal Jackson scene was the scariest shit I've ever seen in a movie!
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Domino

House on Haunted Hill and the first Amityville Horror were two movies that spooked the crap out of me.  Halloween 3 : Season of the Witch was another spooky film that made me feel really weird watching. Something about those Silver Shamrock commercials (in the movie).

shawn  :)

Darth Mandarb

I don't know that I would classify the Ninth Gate as a horror film ... although I did really like it a lot.  Depp is one of the most under rated actors of all time (in my opinion) and Polanski (though a child molestor) is a good director.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (only the original)
Poltergeist (again, only the original)
The House of 1000 Corpses - one line, "Tiny fucked a stump!"
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (both versions really)

For me, a good horror movie isn't one that actually scares/startles me (because that's near impossible to do!)  It's more for how much it scares/creeps me out.

For example:  In The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (which I just saw last night) there was the scene where the guy was hangin' on the hook and he couldn't get off the hook, yet he was alive, awake, and aware of what was happening.  That is just scary/creepy ...

So by that rational there are other movies that people might not consider (technically) horror movies that I do.  Like The Silence of the Lambs and Signs.

That scene in Signs where he's by the daughter's bed and he looks out and sees the creature on the top of the barn!!  That gave me goosebumps for days after just thinking about it!

Any way ... that's my $0.02

cheers,
dm

Squinky

Poltergheist, to this day, makes me pee in fear...it just taps into my "fear" center (<---Technical term)

As far as the Ninth Gate, a buddy of mine gave it to me, and after watching it, I feel like giving it away too...

Quintaros

Well I just finished watching Ninth Gate.  It fit my criteria for a horror film although it was more of the quiet forboding kind than the things-jumps-out-and-get-ya type.  Pretty watchable.  Except for all the smoking.  A little hard to believe when the people are dealing with priceless antiques.

I haven't seen either Texas Chainsaw Masacre film but the remake looks pretty intense.  I don't dismiss  good slasher picks; I just don't classify them as horror.

I didn't think Signs was any good in any genre.  It was almost unwatchable but I slogged through it.  

Squinky

Yeah Signs was crap, if it wasn't for my intense respect *coughgaylovecough* for MelGibson I probably wouldn't have watched it....

I have better things to do with my time....like staring at this forum...

Darth Mandarb

Just to clarify ... I didn't care for Signs much either!  I just really like the 'feeling' of it.  Especially that scene I mentioned.

Quintaros - I am a huge fan of slasher pix and the new TCM is worth going to see.  Plus it has Jessica Biel in it ... My girlfriend was constantly jumping and even once squeeked!!  I was crackin' up!!

Squinky - Poltergeist ... the closet ... long arms ...

[color=a50000]** Darth Mandarb would finish typing but he's curled up in a puddle of his own urine under his desk **[/color]

Miez

Oh nice - favourite horror movies with a touch of the supernatural.

In no particular order of favouritism:

- The Kingdom (not a movie per se, rather a TV series, but it scared the willies out of me)
- Poltergeist
- Evil Dead (but only part 1)
- Hellraiser (parts 1 & 2)
- The Blair Witch project (and also the accompanying mockumentary "the Curse of the Blair Witch")
- Don't look now
- The ninth gate (I liked it enough to buy the DVD)
- Angel Heart
- The Ring

not a lot of slashers in there... but then I'm more the subtle type :)

Nacho

Well... I must say that I´m not very into the "classics" (Hitchcock´s, Wes Craven´s, The Exorcist and Potergeist are some examples of good movies I should see...) I remember "shocker"... The shocker was some kind of killer that lived in the energy net... There was a supperb scene where the main characters gets away from him in a TV where somebody is doing "zapping", the prosecution goes to the news in middle orient to the second war world... nice.

I can only talk of the "new wave" of horror films (I know what you did last Summer, Scream...) Both are, if I remember well, films of killers, that thay don´t scare me. The killer has chances just because the guys are stupid. Why don´t they remain together and kill the murder? An scene with all the teenagers crushing the old fishermen of "I know what you did..." should be funny.

Let´s talk about "supernatural" films. The house of the haunted hill, bah... The haunt... good athmosphere, but it didn´t scare me, but I enjoyed with the sweet Geoffrey Rush perrformance.

I liked "signs"... specially when the first alien appearson that brasilian birthday party footage. I love how that indian director puts a big surprise in every film ending. The prophetic revelation of the mother before dying was nice, and the house full of water glasses too.

I lover the sixth sense and the unbreakable too (maybe that last one was not a scary movie).

I enjoyed the ring, when the "videoghost" appears, because I really thought that the storyline was over when the corpse of the girl was found.

I liked the "ghost ship film"... Specially with the first scene, and when the ghost reveals how everybody died, accompanied by a nice hard rock tune.

But the most scary movie I´ve ever seen in all my live was "Saving private Ryan". I´m not kidding... all that happened more or less like in the film, no matter how good soldier you were, how brave or how fair your intentions were... Every loosed bulled could have killed you in an horrible way. In that sort of films, Schindler´s list was also horrible, with the scene of the little girl with the red hood, during the prosecutions in the ghettos.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Privateer Puddin'

IT was as scary as hell when i was like 5

cpage

miez: you can actually watch Blair witch without vomiting at the stupidity?

I liked ghost ship as well. By the way the remake of the haunting was alot better then the original.  Honestly tho most "scary" movies just seem to dissapoint me, they are never too scary and alot of them have things that just sort of kill the atmosphere.

oh and someone mentioned scary movie 3   just so you know it was alot better then the other two.

Totoro

I recommend Japanese horro movies  ;D There is not much blood or sewed body parts, but they are really scary!
"Ring" was a Japanese movie too because those Americans did a remake.

cpage

Actually it was called Ringu in japan

Shattered Sponge

* Shattered Sponge attempts to out-pedant cpage

Actually it was called &#12522;&#12531;&#12464; in Japan.

But the english language title was Ring, so I don't see the need to correct Totoro.

---edit---

* Shattered Sponge failed miserably

Matt Brown

28 days scared the piss out of me
word up

Shattered Sponge

Quote from: Whos that? Its Teh Panda! on Sat 01/11/2003 14:19:38
28 days scared the piss out of me
Oh god, I'm the same; I swear, if I hear Sandra Bullock's voice once more I'm gonna puke.

Chrille

For me, Horror films do not need any supernatural elements. But to fit your picture of it, here are some I strongly recommend:

John Carpenter's The Thing.
Night of the living dead and Dawn of the Dead by George Romero.
Already mentioned, allthough I probably wouldn't classify it as an horror movie even though it is really gritty,   Angel Heart.

And of course, the Shining :p

I really liked the Ninth Gate as well, especially the images, allthough most people don't.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Hinders

A nightmare on elm street
All halloween except 3,h20
House on the haunted hill
Jason X
The excorcist 3
The shining
Djurkyrkogården 2(i don´t know the english name, made by stephen king, if anybody knows correct me)
----

Pet Terry

My list:
- The Shining
- The Ring
- Signs (not so horror movie (?))
- 28 days later (awesome!)

I saw Halloween last night, it wasn't bad, but not good either. And the first Friday the 13th was bad even though those Halloween and Friday the 13th are said to be classics. Then we watched Critters one night, it was teh funneh! :P
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk